ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otari service? Are they still in biz?  (Read 3740 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Otari service? Are they still in biz?
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »

I have an old (1995) Otari DTR-8 DAT mastering deck that I would like to get working again. Got any contacts for who can resurrect this guy? (I'm in central TX.)

Can't seem to get through to Otari.com - Are they still in business in the US?

Symptoms: Unit powers up, shows me the display, but won't open the tray. Tray motor isn't turning; the belt is not the issue. Guessing either in the control panel or the logic board.

This unit was main mastering deck for a studio in the mid-90's, then loaned out to a live sound company for live stereo recordings. I think they treated it kinda rough, because I see some damage to the rack ears. It's been sitting in a shed for maybe 10 years now. Dug it out, cleaned it up.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Otari service? Are they still in biz?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »

I did business with Otari 4-5 years ago and it took a little effort to make initial contact. If I recall correctly, they have not much more than a one-man office in or near LA. The guy I spoke to did service as well as sales, which were few and far between.

I doubt I can find the contact info I had, as I have changed computers and that project had ended.

I little leg-work via Google should get you there. If there is a there   ::)
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »

I can't resist.

You may want to look into replacing you otari with a xbox1 (which came out last night) or. PLay station. If you don't need the latest graphics which your obviously not a custom to since you still have an otari. There will probably be really good deals on last years models of both consoles. I don't play either so I can't really comment in which is better but either are probably better than what you have.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

I have an old (1995) Otari DTR-8 DAT mastering deck that I would like to get working again. Got any contacts for who can resurrect this guy? (I'm in central TX.)

Can't seem to get through to Otari.com - Are they still in business in the US?

Symptoms: Unit powers up, shows me the display, but won't open the tray. Tray motor isn't turning; the belt is not the issue. Guessing either in the control panel or the logic board.

This unit was main mastering deck for a studio in the mid-90's, then loaned out to a live sound company for live stereo recordings. I think they treated it kinda rough, because I see some damage to the rack ears. It's been sitting in a shed for maybe 10 years now. Dug it out, cleaned it up.

Try Eddie Ciletti at http://www.tangible-technology.com/index.html  He used to do upgrades and repairs to all kinds of tape machines, but I'm not sure what he's up to these days.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

You could also try Advanced Musical Electronics here in Venice, CA. While they don't specifically service Otari, they are the kinds of Alesis ADAT repair and may know local Otari repair places or may work on it themselves. I've used them for repairs/upgrades on my LXP1, K2000, 01v, 1642.

http://www.advancedmusical.com

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

check with Coast Recording in North Hollywood Ca. 818-755-4692

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.