ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 CMA Awards - Bad Mixes  (Read 10730 times)

Sean Thomas

2013 CMA Awards - Bad Mixes
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »

Some of the worst band mixes I've ever heard on live TV.

Some were better than others.  The bad ones sounded like Karoke with the tracks almost off.

Is this a BE issue, or is the TV mix being mixed in a broadcast truck?  Do BE have any control over
this mix?  If not, who does?

Taylor Swifts set - all vocal ques were missed.  Tim McG - 80% vocals only mix.  Zac Brown sounds good.

Why such bad mixes?

David Simpson

Re: 2013 CMA Awards - Bad Mixes
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

Rarely do the BE's ever have any control. Usually there is a production mixer (or 2) that mix the live even. Often times BE's can offer input during rehearsals, but this is more of a courtesy to the artist and to guide production engineer in the subtleties of the artist.

Sometimes the broadcast truck gets the mix of the band minus vocal, and separate vocal and announce feeds. Perhaps this is where any discrepancies exist? I am not watching the broadcast, so I cannot comment on specifics.

More than likely it has something to do with the technology after it leaves the broadcast truck.

~Dave
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:30:10 AM by David Simpson »

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »

My assumption is that much of this comes from mixes that originate from the event as 5.1 surround mixes. Aside from the vast majority of viewers not listening on a system with anything more than two speakers, the mix has to get through various levels of local broadcasters that may or may not be routing/processing the mix properly.

I'm sure it sounded great in the truck.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »

I wonder why we must have this conversation after every single televised music event.

My conclusion is that mixing for broadcast is a very different gig than mixing a live show, and comments by people with no experience doing it is like Monday morning comments about a quarterbacks performance from someone who can barely run to the frig and back during a commercial break.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

Because this is the WWW and what punters do.

I suspect mixing for broadcast is a skill just like other types of mixing, with unique challenges.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

Because this is the WWW and what punters do.

I suspect mixing for broadcast is a skill just like other types of mixing, with unique challenges.

JR

+1, and as others have eluded to: I'm sure it's like drawing a picture and then running it through a few fax machines of varying quality.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

I'll always allow bad mixes because I've been fortunate enough to hear a broadcast mix in the truck and then on the satellite return and man it isn't pretty what happen in route. However there were several glaring missed pick-ups that no piece of gear is accountable for. That's a human error.

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »

I'll always allow bad mixes because I've been fortunate enough to hear a broadcast mix in the truck and then on the satellite return and man it isn't pretty what happen in route. However there were several glaring missed pick-ups that no piece of gear is accountable for. That's a human error.

I would think all the artists involved would prefer that a good solid stereo mix be broadcast and let the end user muck it up. For me, I watch almost zero TV so I have a basic setup, no fancy surround sound,etc, and I would bet that most people that watch award shows don't expect or need 5.1 surround or more. Nothing more frustrating than trying to hear 5.1 encoded vocals without a center speaker. I would love someone in the know to explain why it is a good thing to make a broadcast as complicated as possible at the source. I admit that I have little knowledge but am curious.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:22:00 PM by John Chiara »

Sean Thomas

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 03:37:45 AM »

This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking.

The Taylor Swift mix has a lot of people mad all over the internet.  No matter who, what or why - some of the mixes suck.

Others were GREAT.  I am just curious about the discrepancy, especially if it was the same guy on the truck mixing.  It seemed
like it got better near the end.  I think ZB with Grohl sounded great.  You could hear the drums and guitars.

I listend on a NAD 5.1 system and a stereo mix on the iMac.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »

I'm more surprised that people are upset about a Taylor Swift mix... Maybe latency from auto tune or from playback of her tracks? My girls like her, but we already hds the talk that that girl couldn't sing in tune if her life depended on it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.