ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable speaker configuration for auditorium  (Read 4093 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Portable speaker configuration for auditorium
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »

Agreed, a pair of good 12+HF (SRX812, DSR112, RCF, ect) over single 18's will make enough noise for most purposes in a small auditorium/theatre like that.  I do a dance recital in the Santa Clara Convention Center theater which looks very similar with K10s over single 18s (probably use my DSRs this year just because they have better HF dispersion and I can avoid a center fill) and I'm barely tickling the signal lights.  85dB in the middle of the house is plenty for the parents who come to watch their kids.  Unless you're planing on loud rock and roll.  I've never cranked what I bring in there to see how loud it gets but 835s over double 828s is serious overkill unless it's primarily for very loud live music.

The 12+HF can be repurposed as wedges or might even turn out to be suitable for flying as a center cluster (depending on all the design criteria discussed earlier).  A center cluster with the possibility of a few small fills is plenty for spoken word or theatrical productions and will give more even coverage.  It looks like that was the original concept using a bass cab and a large horn.  Common in theaters and churches.  Newer stuff can be more hi-fi for music but it depends on the balance of presentations what would be appropriate.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »

Something else to consider, get the house system up and running and use for the day in day out speaking events, presentations, maybe light music program, the event in your picture is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
I'm sure no one at the school wants to set up and take down a portable system all the time.

For your bigger hard hitting music events set up your portable big rig, better yet rent a system and have it supplied, delivered, operated, loaded out, maintained by a sound provider.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:53:28 AM »

Because you are in a school, you might want to look at the cost recovery time for rental vs. purchase of a system. (Unless you have a capital improvements account that needs to be spent for budgetary purposes.)  I suggest that you also think about the cost of additional and/or specialized microphones, mic stands, more xlr cables, sub snakes, and such, needed for a band, as well as secure storage for all of that gear when not in use.

Depending on your location, I recognize that rental might not be a very viable option.  There are lots of little towns out here that can't easily rent sound gear on an as-needed basis.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:53:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.