The old 650W heater
Evidently the electronics failed, allowing the generator to spin fast enough for 7 out of 12 magnets on the rotor to break off and jam in the gap between the stator. Surprisingly there seems to be no damage to the stator, and little damage to any of the magnets.I can probably fix the magnets back on the rotor with some glue, but will have to replace the electronics.The replacement will probably cost more than the equivalent value of the electricity the generator could produce over several years.Considering the generator only operated less than 5 weeks (<2 weeks boat use, <3 weeks heating use) makes me wonder weather it is worth the bother...Art
I would have been tempted to roll my own controller from the start... but different strokes. Is there any way to better secure the magnets to survive higher RPM and more power output? Glue seems questionable, can't use ferrous metal, some combination of dynamic loading and more robust attachment. My DIY project has progressed on two fronts. My cheapo $20 heater while making more watts, had a fan so was noisy in a different way, and when I tried to tweak it to be be quiet it overheated, so back to the drawing board. I found a proper 1kW baseboard heater that would run on 120V most are 240V, So now I have a silent heat unit. My back of the envelope calculation was that the extra heat output would only buy me some 6' more temp capability, but at the same time I upgraded my "red neck" storm windows. House was built with typical for the deep south single pane glass windows with permanent screens. My red-neck storms were sheets of drop cloth plastic stapled to the inner window frame. THe upgrade was to build some wood frames from 1"x2" pine, that nests inside the window frame/sill. I then covered both sides of these frames with clear window film (variation on saran wrap). With the new improved "Beverly Hillbilly" storm windows I capture two insulating pockets of still air between the outer window glass and inner room air.
That sucks Art, lots of work for not much benefit. I had a similar problem with an 18HP Briggs where the magnets flew of the rotor/flywheel, jammed the flywheel and the engine wouldn't start. I rebuilt the engine that summer and it's been running like a champ ever since.
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 24 queries.