ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terminating Heavy duty CAT5e/Ethernet cable (Gepco CT504HD)  (Read 3968 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• <O_o>

Has anyone used that Gepco CT504HD heavy duty CAT5e cable? I'm having a heck of a time terminating it with RJ-45. I've probably built a thousand or so CAT5 cables in my life and I've never had any issues, but the inner wires just don't want to fit in the RJ-45 connectors I have.

Tips? Thoughts? Maybe a different brand of RJ-45?
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Terminating Heavy duty CAT5e/Ethernet cable (Gepco CT504HD)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »

Has anyone used that Gepco CT504HD heavy duty CAT5e cable? I'm having a heck of a time terminating it with RJ-45. I've probably built a thousand or so CAT5 cables in my life and I've never had any issues, but the inner wires just don't want to fit in the RJ-45 connectors I have.

Tips? Thoughts? Maybe a different brand of RJ-45?

I've used it but it's been a while.  I believe I may have had to cut the jacket back so it wasn't in the rj45.  When using ethercons they should provide the strain relief you need.  Hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in and correct me if there's a better way.

Ryan Lantzy

• <O_o>
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »

I've used it but it's been a while.  I believe I may have had to cut the jacket back so it wasn't in the rj45.  When using ethercons they should provide the strain relief you need.  Hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in and correct me if there's a better way.

I wasn't trying to stuff the outer jacket into the RJ45.  I found out through another source that the Gepco cable requires CAT6 connectors which support a slightly larger inner conductor diameter.
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Ryan Lantzy

• <O_o>
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »

FYI.

These:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=32-6198ULvirtualkey60140000virtualkey601-32-6198UL

and these:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=300668EZvirtualkey67800000virtualkey678-300668EZ

...both work well.

I prefer the former, as it has a small plastic yoke that allows you to align the pairs before inserting into the connector.  When working with stranded wire it's very nice.  If it were solid wire, I'd say it's a tossup. 

Michael Kim

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »

Hi Ryan,

I too am having a really tough time terminating my CT504HD (not HDX). Did these modular ones end up working out for you? I know the channels are oriented slightly differently, but that doesn't make any difference right?

Do you prefer these to 3 part modular RJ45 connectors?

Thanks,
Michael

FYI.

These:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=32-6198ULvirtualkey60140000virtualkey601-32-6198UL

and these:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=300668EZvirtualkey67800000virtualkey678-300668EZ

...both work well.

I prefer the former, as it has a small plastic yoke that allows you to align the pairs before inserting into the connector.  When working with stranded wire it's very nice.  If it were solid wire, I'd say it's a tossup.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.