ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha S215IV crossover - quasi 3-way  (Read 9221 times)

Travis_Valois

Re: Yamaha S215IV crossover - quasi 3-way
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

I have a pair of 2x15" tops. Both of the 15's are run up to the crossover point to the 2" horn. They were originally loaded with eminence Kappa Pro 15a's. I always hated the terrible sounding reproduction in the lower midrange, vocals don't project with these cabs... a pair of ancient JBL4560 cabs loaded with under-powered JBL2220b's will stomp all over them for good sounding vocal projection. I inherited these 2x15 cabs a couple of years ago without the Emininece speakers when we replaced them at the club with a pair of SR4731X's. I reloaded them with 4x JBL E140's I had kicking around which have a more prominent bump in the midrange response with no improvement. However, in the cases with either type of speaker loaded in the cabinets, the issue is cleared up with the 2x15's if one 15 is disconnected. Clarity is VERY noticeably improved with them in that case because of the lack of interference from the second 15. I haven't looked into it, but I remember reading somewhere that an MTM layout of the components minimizes the issue instead of an MMT layout as these cabinets are.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

I have a pair of 2x15" tops. Both of the 15's are run up to the crossover point to the 2" horn. They were originally loaded with eminence Kappa Pro 15a's. I always hated the terrible sounding reproduction in the lower midrange, vocals don't project with these cabs... a pair of ancient JBL4560 cabs loaded with under-powered JBL2220b's will stomp all over them for good sounding vocal projection. I inherited these 2x15 cabs a couple of years ago without the Emininece speakers when we replaced them at the club with a pair of SR4731X's. I reloaded them with 4x JBL E140's I had kicking around which have a more prominent bump in the midrange response with no improvement. However, in the cases with either type of speaker loaded in the cabinets, the issue is cleared up with the 2x15's if one 15 is disconnected. Clarity is VERY noticeably improved with them in that case because of the lack of interference from the second 15. I haven't looked into it, but I remember reading somewhere that an MTM layout of the components minimizes the issue instead of an MMT layout as these cabinets are.

It's all an extension of basic, high school wave-pond physics.

In your experiment where you switched to the E140 and found no improvement despite their greater output in the region of interest, the result is your clue that the causality is TIME based, not magnitude (amplitude, SPL) output of the raw transducer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:13:35 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.