ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intercom/Paging system for Fire Department  (Read 7550 times)

Mike Sullivan

Intercom/Paging system for Fire Department
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »

We're looking at remodeling our (volunteer) fire station in the next few years, and one of the objectives of the remodel is an audio intercom/paging system throughout the station.  For the time being, we're using a recycled 70V PA amp with some ceiling speakers and a couple bullhorns in the truck bays, hooked to our base radio.  What we'd like to do, would be to have the same type of system, but with intercoms in each room where you can communicate between areas (I.E. the chief's office and one of the bays to make an announcement).  Anyone have some ideas?  We plan on integrating this with an alert system that activates when the pager goes off, activating station interior lights, bells, and a couple rotating lights, but we're more interested in the intercom system.  Also of interest, if there is a way to integrate them with a phone system (I believe we use Norstar telephones) that would work too.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Intercom/Paging system for Fire Department
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »

We're looking at remodeling our (volunteer) fire station in the next few years, and one of the objectives of the remodel is an audio intercom/paging system throughout the station.  For the time being, we're using a recycled 70V PA amp with some ceiling speakers and a couple bullhorns in the truck bays, hooked to our base radio.  What we'd like to do, would be to have the same type of system, but with intercoms in each room where you can communicate between areas (I.E. the chief's office and one of the bays to make an announcement).  Anyone have some ideas?  We plan on integrating this with an alert system that activates when the pager goes off, activating station interior lights, bells, and a couple rotating lights, but we're more interested in the intercom system.  Also of interest, if there is a way to integrate them with a phone system (I believe we use Norstar telephones) that would work too.

Check out  VCOM interoperability solutions
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »

Check out  VCOM interoperability solutions

Ughh, that thing makes my head hurt.

What we'd like to do, would be to have the same type of system, but with intercoms in each room where you can communicate between areas (I.E. the chief's office and one of the bays to make an announcement)...  Also of interest, if there is a way to integrate them with a phone system (I believe we use Norstar telephones) that would work too.

Nortel has gone out of business and the name is now owned by Avaya. If you have phones in the rooms certainly you have intercom and page capability. The page output from the phone system KSU gets connected to the amp so that you can page through your paging system from any phone. It could even be zoned if you wanted to. Talk to an old Nortel guy or an Avaya dealer but don't bank on Avaya knowing anything about Nortel.

We plan on integrating this with an alert system that activates when the pager goes off, activating station interior lights, bells, and a couple rotating lights...

I could think of a way to do this but there is no need for it to have anything to do with the phone or paging system.

-Hal

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:21:42 AM »

I guess what needs clarification is whether this is one or two way communication.  One way is very easy to accomplish with a paging system with multiple mics and controllers and paging zones.  Two way implies an intercom of some sort, which can get rather complicated to implement, best to keep things simple.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »

I guess what needs clarification is whether this is one or two way communication.  One way is very easy to accomplish with a paging system with multiple mics and controllers and paging zones.  Two way implies an intercom of some sort, which can get rather complicated to implement, best to keep things simple.

You have a capable phone system already in place and that's going to be key to solving this problem. Many customers have no idea what their system is capable of or how to use it so talk to your dealer. All most people know how to do is pick up the handset when it rings. I believe your system is capable of hands free (through the phone speaker) 2-way intercom right now. If you want to integrate an overhead paging system where you can originate a page from any phone you have that capability too. If you want to get fancier look at Valcom and Bogen. Both make equipment that is simple to integrate with nearly any phone system and will provide paging, zone paging and talkback through the speakers.

-Hal

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.  I actually was mistaken, we use a Meridian phone system now, but it is pretty much the same thing, with intercom features and such.  What I was thinking was having the phone system integrated that a separate extension would connect to the PA and allow whoever is using that phone to announce through the station.  I.E. if the Captain is in his office and needs a particular FF, he can dial that line, and call for them via the PA.  Probably the easiest solution we have right now, and integrate the fire call paging separately.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.  I actually was mistaken, we use a Meridian phone system now, but it is pretty much the same thing, with intercom features and such.  What I was thinking was having the phone system integrated that a separate extension would connect to the PA and allow whoever is using that phone to announce through the station.  I.E. if the Captain is in his office and needs a particular FF, he can dial that line, and call for them via the PA.  Probably the easiest solution we have right now, and integrate the fire call paging separately.

That's how it would work. Depending on whichever way it would be necessary to connect to your phone system, the paging could be done by dialing an extension or pressing an unused line button, from any phone.

... he can dial that line

Point to remember is that in telecom lines are from the phone company, extensions are the phones. So if the Captain is in his office and needs a particular FF, he can dial an extension (which will connect him with the paging system).

-Hal

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »

Our VoIP system has these great little boxes our IT department gets, Ethernet on one side, Phoenix connector with line level output on the other side. They do the back end programming, I connect the box to the appropriate equipment. Now our stage manager can page from any phone in the building if they know the extension.  One extension just connects to the device, another puts every phone in speaker mode and activates the device for emergencies. Quite a convenient solution.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.