ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 User Reviews/Thoughts - Any updates  (Read 45108 times)

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
Re: Danley SM80 User Reviews/Thoughts - Any updates
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »

It's been about 5 months since the last post.  I figured I would bring it to the top and see if there is any new reviews or thoughts on the SM80. 

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »

Yep. Here's my update:

Buy them now. You won't be sorry.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

kendallhadden

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

Yep. Here's my update:

Buy them now. You won't be sorry.

Thanks for the update.  I have. ;D
Waiting on delivery.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »

You already know where I stand.  I'll shoot you those settings once your IT comes in.

kendallhadden

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

You already know where I stand.  I'll shoot you those settings once your IT comes in.
Thanks Jonathan!

Mario Pollio

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »

Can somebody pm me the price of these things? I keep reading all these rav reviews. Only thing is I wish they extended slightly lower. I know I'm probably gonna get s*** for saying that lol. I'd love to hear a pair with some TH118's

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »

I keep reading all these rav reviews. Only thing is I wish they extended slightly lower. I know I'm probably gonna get s*** for saying that lol. I'd love to hear a pair with some TH118's

Yes, you should use them with a sub, then they really shine. I use them one per side with two TH118 per side and they sound fantastic. I think $2,999 is MSRP contact your local Danley dealer for cost.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mario Pollio

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »

Yes, you should use them with a sub, then they really shine. I use them one per side with two TH118 per side and they sound fantastic. I think $2,999 is MSRP contact your local Danley dealer for cost.

Yes, they would definitely be used with subs. My only concern is crossing over at such a high frequency for subs like the TH118. I read this post by Ivan in another thread. 

As usual-everything is a compromise.

The Tapped horn was designed to have a smooth response down low.  The trade off is that higher up-it can get a bit "wonky" with dips and peaks.

The Tapped horn is designed to be used as a sub or generally below 100hz-not a "bass cabinet" as in years past.

Art is right-a direct radiator would sound smoother that high-but not be as loud-so once again there is a tradeoff.

And how much different?  That is in the ear of the user.  To some it may be a big deal-to other no big deal.  It just depends on where the bar is set.

Of course the best way is to simply try it and it may be just fine.

As with many things-there is a lot to the "character" that does not show up on a spec sheet or some simple measurements.

From the spec sheet and other posts, it looks like these would be best off crossing over to the subs at a frequency higher than 100hz. Or can you cross over at 80/90hz without loosing anything or sacrificing spl on the SM80's because they are being asked to produce lower frequencies then originally intended? I know Ivan addressed this question of mine in another thread, but I'm just trying to learn more about these. Not trying to be annoying

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

Or can you cross over at 80/90hz without loosing anything or sacrificing spl on the SM80's because they are being asked to produce lower frequencies then originally intended?
Mario,

The SM80 can do 128 dB above 200 Hz, but only around 117 dB at 100 Hz.
A TH-118 can do 137 dB at 100 Hz.
If you like a "haystacked" LF, that difference of 20 dB (four times as loud) might be to your liking.

If you want equal power response from the tops to the subs at 100 Hz, not so much.

I prefer to have equal SPL potential at the crossover between the lower and upper transducers. Even though LF demands may be of a much longer duration, low mid transients can be similar in peaks, those peaks requiring full linear excursion (Xmax) in a sealed cabinet like the SM80 just to achieve 117 dB (about as loud as an acoustic floor tom), more than that, and the driver will exceed Xmax, and vocals will start to "gargle".  For that reason, using a TH similar in output to the TH-118, I use fourteen horn loaded 8" cones (with less Xmax than the 12"used in the SM80) above, about the equivalent of at least three SM80's output around 100 Hz.

But I'm old school, so who cares what I think...

Art

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »

Yes, they would definitely be used with subs. My only concern is crossing over at such a high frequency for subs like the TH118. I read this post by Ivan in another thread. 

From the spec sheet and other posts, it looks like these would be best off crossing over to the subs at a frequency higher than 100hz. Or can you cross over at 80/90hz without loosing anything or sacrificing spl on the SM80's because they are being asked to produce lower frequencies then originally intended? I know Ivan addressed this question of mine in another thread, but I'm just trying to learn more about these. Not trying to be annoying
In "years past" a standard "bass cabinet" would be used up to as high as 300Hz.

I do not recommend the TH118 (or any other tapped horn for that matter) be run up to 300Hz.

Yes running the TH118 below 100Hz is "recommended", but running them up to 120Hz or so is no problem or issue.

The Th118 and Sm80 combo is being used by many people and nobody (that I am aware of) is complaining.

All the comments I hear is how good it sounds.

Sometimes it is to easy to get "caught up" in thinking what a product does/sounds-without listening to it.

As with any loudspeaker, it is the overall SYSTEM performance that we should be concerned with-not the performance of a single component.

Yes the SM80 rolls off at a higher freq than other cabinet-HOWEVER because it is a sealed box, the rolloff is 1/2 the rate of ported cabinets.  So it does not "cutoff" as low as the "simple number" on the spec sheet would indicate.

If it really bothers you, you can add a bump in the eq down around 110Hz or so to "fill it in".

Because it is a sealed box the impedance is high at that point-so the heating at those freq is less that at higher freq.

Also because it is a sealed box there is a lot of control over the driver, so it does not "flop around" as much as drivers that are in larger cabinet volumes and ported.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 26 queries.