ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy B'Day 33 1/3  (Read 9520 times)

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Happy B'Day 33 1/3
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »

Apparently today is the 82nd anniversary of the introduction of the 12" 33 1/3rpm recording.

So that would be 1,435,680,000 revolutions? Nice round number.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:38:19 AM »

I've never heard that about CD's interesting.
that info took up a few pages in the LA Times back in the 90's. it was traced back to the CD/DVD edge. lots of times the edges have an air hole and its the exposure to air that disintergrates the foil. i know of several people that thats happened to besides those that wer in the newspaper write up. so for all the cd's/dvd's i have havent had that happen.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »

I have turntable and records, but last I checked the technology was pretty much obsolete. I can't remember the last time I turned mine on, and I used to design phono preamps ( 30+ years ago).

As the baby boomers fade away should be lots of used vinyl for sale.

JR

I have spent the last 3 years ripping all the best tracks from my LP and 45 vinyl collection using a Xitel Inport.  It works as advertised, and produces excellent quality WAVs.  It takes time to title, set level, rip, de-click, trim (with fade-in/out) each track, but the result is well worth it.

-Dennis

<edit>  I wash the 45s in warm water, then dry them with a cotton towel before recording.  They are amazingly durable.

-DW
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:07:45 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »

I have hundreds of LPs from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Part of the front renovation includes the room where they are stored. My youngest daughter (27) held up a Stones album, the one with the donkey on it, "Get your Ya Ya's out", then asked me why I don't just throw them in the dumpster out front. I usually bought albums for the guitar work. I wonder how much original Elvis, Cream, Stones, Broadway musical  hits, etc. are worth these days.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

I have lots of old albums and some obscure bands that probably didn't get re-released to CD. Unfortunately the condition of many of my records are poor. Back in the day after a party these albums would end up spread across the floor with spilled beer, foot prints, and whatever. My roommates dog chewed some of the album covers etc.

I also have some of my parents collection, with dirty party records from artists like Gene Autry, and some custom cuttings my dad made (he was a recording engineer for RCA in the 50's). There was one disc that I lost track of, that was an out take of a famous italian conductor cursing out the NBC orchestra, when they screwed up.. Wish I still had that one. :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »

Unfortunately the condition of many of my records are poor.

One of the claims about the laser turntables is that they can "read" parts of the groove that aren't impacted by a stylus; thus, supposedly worn-out or scratched records can sound good again.

In a similar vein, Drew Kaplan (dba DAK), used to sell a box called the "Click, Pop and Hiss Assassin".  It would plug into your stereo, and would "see" a 'pop' in the signal from your turntable before you'd hear it, cut it out, and bleed the signal immediately before and after the offending noise so all would sound hunkey-dory.  Now that he's back in business, DAK is selling a software version: http://www.dak.com/reviews/2040story.cfm
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

One of the claims about the laser turntables is that they can "read" parts of the groove that aren't impacted by a stylus; thus, supposedly worn-out or scratched records can sound good again.

In a similar vein, Drew Kaplan (dba DAK), used to sell a box called the "Click, Pop and Hiss Assassin".  It would plug into your stereo, and would "see" a 'pop' in the signal from your turntable before you'd hear it, cut it out, and bleed the signal immediately before and after the offending noise so all would sound hunkey-dory.  Now that he's back in business, DAK is selling a software version: http://www.dak.com/reviews/2040story.cfm
In case I haven't mentioned it yet today, I used to design phono preamps. I had customers of my circa 1980 preamp that had a flat gain stage before the RIAA playback EQ use that dry unequalized output into the de-clicker before applying the RIAA which is effectively 40 dB of HF cut between 20Hz and 20kHz. Blanking out the brief unequalized click perturbation before it gets stretched out and smeared by the playback EQ was apparently more effective, or so a few customers told be back a few decades ago.

I suspect operating in the digital domain it would be better to capture the record signal flat and EQ in the digital processing .

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »

well i'll be dog gone !

http://news.yahoo.com/video/record-sales-save-vinyl-factory-183718527.html

Jeff-

This is what they look like, before they are pressed.   :P

-Dennis

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

Jeff-

This is what they look like, before they are pressed.   :P

-Dennis

I think you're supposed to hit that with a hockey stick.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.