ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW BV 535 triple 15 inch subs... thoughts?  (Read 6264 times)

Goerge Thomas

EAW BV 535 triple 15 inch subs... thoughts?
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »

I am a weekend warrior who does shows from 5 to 400 people inside and out for rock and canned music often. To give you an idea  of the volumes I run at I never max out a pair of EV QRX-212 tops. So pretty comfortable volume.

I have a chance to pick up a pair of EAW BV-535 subs to center cluster for low end in my rig for $1000 (for a pair)

They are a bit of oddballs ([url]http://eaw.com/docs/2_Legacy_Products/Loudspeakers/BV_Series/BV535.pdf/url])

I have plenty of power and processing for these.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't need low extension bass, just high output for kick drum mostly. They are big and heavy and a little ugly. They have NL4 inputs and binding posts for installation

They seem efficient enough, with a high enough output, they will be center clustered and given more than enough power.

I would be using these 2 to upgrade the 4 JBL Mpro 418's that have struggled for the past 3 years in my rig. Those don't extend low or output that much, they blow up a little too easily and the biggest things they have going for them are being light weight, smaller and cheap.

Goerge Thomas

Re: EAW BV 535 triple 15 inch subs... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

Just wanted to update since no one has any info on these on google anywhere of personal use...

I went ahead and bought a pair of these. They have no handles, no wheels and are hard to move by yourself and weigh in at around 200 pounds. They do have fly points.

I stripped the cabinets completely and painted the cabs and grilles flat black with 3 coats. They were off white before and looked bad.

I swapped out the NL-8 connector for an NL 2 with all 3 drivers wired together for a 2.7 ohm load

I added 4 inch heavy duty casters and set em up outside.

My test setup: 1 BV 535 a side with 1 QRX 212 on top with a Powerlight 6 in stereo for the subs on a 15 amp breaker crossed over at 40 hz and 95 hz respectively at a 24 db butter worth slope.

My thoughts:
They are not portable with one person and are shaped awkwardly and cannot be center clustered laying down due to the wedge shape. I will create custom support blocks to allow them to lay down and center clustered by this weekend. I have never seen a triple 15 setup before.
They get very loud with a small amount of power and extend low but not at high levels. They have a small dip at 50 hz or so that I had to bump up and they sound fantastic. Very musical. I will test them out with a live band this weekend.

For $500 each I am quite happy. They are leaps and bounds better than my JBL M-Pro 418 subs I just retired.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

My thoughts:
They are not portable with one person and are shaped awkwardly and cannot be center clustered laying down due to the wedge shape. I will create custom support blocks to allow them to lay down and center clustered by this weekend.
What's wrong with laying the trapezoidal shaped box on it's side?
What are the "support blocks" going to accomplish?

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

What's wrong with laying the trapezoidal shaped box on it's side?
What are the "support blocks" going to accomplish?

You know, as soon as you said this I realized bass is not directional therefor I can lay them down even if they are tilted up and still have the same output and direction if I lay them down with blocks to make the front not tilt up.

Good call.

sam saponaro

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »

Look like 3x SB150 in tandom.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »

Do believe those were designed for installs. (could be wrong) It might not take you long to wish you had a much smaller box. I would not want to wrestle those things in and out of a trailer unless I was making a lot of $$$$ doing so.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »

You know, as soon as you said this I realized bass is not directional therefor I can lay them down even if they are tilted up and still have the same output and direction if I lay them down with blocks to make the front not tilt up.

Good call.

People will be less likely to stand on them, or place drinks on them, in the wedge configuration :)
Mark McFarlane

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

People will be less likely to stand on them, or place drinks on them, in the wedge configuration :)
The key word here is "less".
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »

Something's amiss.

The shoe size does not match up.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

You are correct, these boxes were meant for installation. They have fly points but no handles or wheels. They are hardly meant for portable sound but I have added slide track to the sides and feet and casters and handles now. They go in the trailer with a ramp just fine. The only issue would ever be lifting them. That simply won't be happening and I have smaller subs for that situation if there should be a need for it.

Also, the shoes. Not mine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.