ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Generators  (Read 25392 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Generators
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »

That's the gold-standard way of connecting a generator to your house when the generator capacity won't run EVERYTHING. I've always been a little squeamish about the generator inter-lock kits which is basically a metal slide that only allows you to turn on the generator breaker once the incoming panel breaker is turned off. Not automatic, and may not be code compliant in your area: http://www.interlockkit.com/ilkitworks1.htm but certainly an inexpensive way to add a backup generator to your house power.

And also not foolproof. Both breakers can be placed in the "on" position if the panel cover is removed. (You might be surprised at how many homeowners remove the panel cover and never put it back on.) A double-pole, double-throw switch is certainly safer.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »

And also not foolproof. Both breakers can be placed in the "on" position if the panel cover is removed. (You might be surprised at how many homeowners remove the panel cover and never put it back on.) A double-pole, double-throw switch is certainly safer.

The problem with making things fool proof is that fools are so darn clever.

A panel with the cover removed doesn't meet code and is open for all kinds of problems.  BTW When I built my house the electrical supply house that sold me the main panel was very specific in telling me to fasten the cover to s stud in the basement until I was finished wiring because if the cover was lost, the job would not pass inspection and I would not get a C of O  also you can not buy a cover by it self.

I have a whole house transfer switch that uses two breakers with a mechanical interference. it is ANSI certified and UL listed

BTW Here is a interesting setup.
http://www.shopping.com/siemens-siemens-gentfrswtch-automatic-transfer-switch-for-use-in-siemens-genready-load-center/info?sb=1
Not to Code

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »

I like that Frank.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »

BTW Here is a interesting setup.
http://www.shopping.com/siemens-siemens-gentfrswtch-automatic-transfer-switch-for-use-in-siemens-genready-load-center/info?sb=1

Very cool. I'm planning on installing a backup home generator next year, so this is going into my possible design pile. Looks like a little motor rotates the cam which flips the breakers in sequence.

Mike Sokol

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »

It's difficult to see in the picture, but I assume (hope) there is some sliding bar between the breaker handles to prevent them from being placed in the "on" position simultaneously.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »

It's difficult to see in the picture, but I assume (hope) there is some sliding bar between the breaker handles to prevent them from being placed in the "on" position simultaneously.

Take a good look at the cam and levers.  While both sets of breakers can be "OFF", only one can be "ON" at a time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »

Take a good look at the cam and levers.  While both sets of breakers can be "OFF", only one can be "ON" at a time.
In the photo, the handles on both breakers are OFF. As far as I can see, the levers can only push the breakers to ON... there must be some other mechanism between the breakers to prevent them both being ON at the same time. Looks like there's something there, but it's difficult to identify.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 03:15:40 AM »

I see a lot of posts from Americans (On other forums as well) writing about home backup generators.  This is not something that many people do in the UK.  Do you suffer from a lot of interrutions in your power supplies?

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 03:18:17 AM »

I see a lot of posts from Americans (On other forums as well) writing about home backup generators.  This is not something that many people do in the UK.  Do you suffer from a lot of interrutions in your power supplies?

Steve.
thunder storms, ice storms , etc

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »

Steve.

Some do, some don't.  Our electrical service here is pretty good, all the powerlines in our neighborhood are underground, storms aren't a big deal, and when we do loose power it means a lot of people loose power.  I would say we get maybe one blip a month where we drop a cycle or two, and my UPS kicks in.  I maybe loose power once, or twice a year, but toal outage time has never been more than a hour. 

Growing up, I lived closer to the coast, in a house in a biggish city, but in an old neighborhood at the end of the powerlines which were all on poles.  Hurricane Fran came through and we were without power for 14 days - we survived fine on our gas grill and camping stove and walking a couple miles to the grocery store for ice.

Some people are (in my opinion) unable to cope and buy a backup generator after an experience like that.  I try to worry less.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.