ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line 6 Stagescape M20d  (Read 11185 times)

Chris Edwards

Line 6 Stagescape M20d
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

I know this product seems to be a touchy subject with many people but I am wondering if anyone owns the unit or has tried it out?  I am mainly looking for feedback on the build quality, sound quality and effects quality as well as their usefulness.

Any information is appreciated.

Ryan Grandusky

Re: Line 6 Stagescape M20d
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

A local audio/visual install company I often work with installed one in a church back in September for a FOH console and they seem to love it. I have never used one nor have I heard it but those that I have talked to who do use it (not sound guys) love the easy to use interface because it is similar to working with garage band on a computer which they do often.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Chris Edwards

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »

A local audio/visual install company I often work with installed one in a church back in September for a FOH console and they seem to love it. I have never used one nor have I heard it but those that I have talked to who do use it (not sound guys) love the easy to use interface because it is similar to working with garage band on a computer which they do often.

Ryan,

Thanks for the info.  This seems in line to other information I have read.  The main problem is that most of the reviews are coming from end users who more speak of the ease of use rather than sound quality or effect quality.  I suppose if the end user is happy then that is the point but I would like to know more.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »

I suspect micro inspection of path specifications is missing the point of a new different mixing paradigm. The more important question IMO is about mix quality and that is hugely subjective.

I am enthusiastic about this product without ever being in the same room or looking very closely. I see this as a first step toward where we will end up rather than final destination.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

Some additional info after speaking with the installer mentioned above. He may be installing a second one for another church.

Per my conversation with him it seems that this mixer is best suited for situations where the person mixing has limited to no audio experience. For a seasoned engineer this mixer may drive you nuts. The sonic quality this console is not lacking in any way and appears to be on par with other popular mixers being installed such as the X32 and DL1608.

The effects are OK, not great, but not terrible either and are very usable for light reverbs and delay. He heavily recommended using a foot switch to turn the effects on and off due to how the effects are handled/routed on this mixer.

Hope this helps.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »

He heavily recommended using a foot switch to turn the effects on and off due to how the effects are handled/routed on this mixer.

That's one way to do it.  I usually assign all effects to a subgroup.  From there it's a one button push to mute them all as a group.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »

I suspect micro inspection of path specifications is missing the point of a new different mixing paradigm. The more important question IMO is about mix quality and that is hugely subjective.

I am enthusiastic about this product without ever being in the same room or looking very closely. I see this as a first step toward where we will end up rather than final destination.

JR
I have a feeling that this little mixer doesn't get the press it really deserves mostly because Line 6 has dared to challenge the paradigm we have been using for mixers forever.

It is good to hear that it has a good sound to it.  Thanks for the post Ryan.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »

It would seem to me, from what I know, that Line-6 is intentionally aiming their products at users who want a more plug and play solution, but a step up from say plugging a mic into the back of a K12. The entire StageSource lineup is designed to automate processes. The speakers have mics in them IIRC to faciliate easy setup via DSP that receives feedback (not the kind sound engineers hate) and makes automated adjustments. 

Those who are used to using SMAART and a rack of GEQ, PEQ, and other tools to manually do the same work, will probably find the results less than what they can achieve manually. This is much like the divide between automatic and manual transmissions in cars. For a long time, it was a given that a decent driver could outperform an automatic transmission. Today with semi autos and super fast shifting auto transmissions, it is becoming debatable whether or not even the best drivers could outperform a top of the line auto/semi-auto setup. I think the same will happen to this industry eventually. One could argue we are already there if you consider tools like SMAART to be the equivalent of the semi-auto.

Given my level of expertise (tiny compared to many in this forum) I could be completely mistaken.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

I had a good look at one about a month ago and was more than impressed with the simplicity, capability, and the sound. The entire system, speakers and board, are as stated, designed to be used as a no brainer solution by people who know little about sound, but expect good to great results. It would actually be a great board for installation in smaller clubs where the village idiot is often behind the board, but don't sell the solution short as there are advanced features that can be accessed as well.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Fulwider

• VTMF Studio
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »

I know this product seems to be a touchy subject with many people but I am wondering if anyone owns the unit or has tried it out?  I am mainly looking for feedback on the build quality, sound quality and effects quality as well as their usefulness.

Any information is appreciated.

I own one! So far...I love it! It is very easy to get great sound from it! Very simple and straight forward user interface! I am in a small four piece Christian band and everyone in the band loves it! Used to a have a peavey system and the line 6 blows it out of the water. I also have the stage scape speakers...an l3m,l3t and an l2m and they are also fantastic and a great compliment to the m20d. The iPad remote control functionality pushes this system WAY over the top of anything like it.With the iPad control you can basically walk around the performance venue with a virtual m20d in your hand and tweak EVERY function of the board remotely. Yes, it is VERY different than a conventional mixer, but I actually love it BECAUSE it is different.Line 6 has taken complex mix engineer logic and made it simple for a musician to use and get a great sound very quickly! No, I don't work for line 6! Just a very happy customer. Hope that helps ya! :-)
Blessings

Mark Fulwider

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.