ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124429 times)

Alex Hills

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »

I have always preferred SM57s IMHO. I tried making the leap to condensers such as AKG C1000S III but didn't think it sounded that much better (bit crisper though) but the killer for me was just way too much feedback when using any form of monitors. If I had the budget I would probably go for a Neumann KSM105. Have not used one but have met pro engineers who swear by them. I heard them too and they sounded awesome.

Alex Hills
ADHSound
adhsound.com

Tomm Williams

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

I have always preferred SM57s IMHO. I tried making the leap to condensers such as AKG C1000S III but didn't think it sounded that much better (bit crisper though) but the killer for me was just way too much feedback when using any form of monitors. If I had the budget I would probably go for a Neumann KSM105. Have not used one but have met pro engineers who swear by them. I heard them too and they sounded awesome.

Alex Hills

Hi Alex

While the 57 sees a lot of use, IMO vocals isn't really it's strength but if it works for you then great. Yep, condensers around monitors can be tricky. Quality of both mics and monitors can come into play. I had a 105 for awhile and ended up trading it off for 6 Senn 835's don't regret that for a minute. I just wasn't that impressed with it. YMMV
ADHSound
adhsound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »

Alex Hills
ADHSound
adhsound.com

Sorry to hear that your only condenser mic experience was with the C-1000.  AKG has made some nice microphones but the C-1000 isn't among them.  We just did a stage full of SM86 (vocal condenser) and Audio-Technica 4041.  We had very little trouble with monitors after a good ring-out.

The Neuman is a very, very nice mic but it's not forgiving and it's not cheap.  Unless you have a client that is paying for it, spend your mic money on several of something. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »

The Neuman is a very, very nice mic but it's not forgiving and it's not cheap.  Unless you have a client that is paying for it, spend your mic money on several of something. ;)
All the more that most singers who wish a KMS105 will simply bring their own.

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »

My vox stable in no particular order:

3) Shure SM58 -- because
3) Shure Beta 58 -- also because
2) Audix OM6 -- a dark mic that isn't for every voice, prefer on high-pitched, experienced vox in quiet settings
2) AKG C535 -- acquired these after working with Richard Bona (who brought his own), fantastic for a powerful, deep, "mic-aware" voice
1) Beyer M88 -- don't use this often, usually only with singer/songwriters, and only if I'm not using...
1) Neumann KMS 105 -- the king, I actually find it VERY forgiving - it has spent most of its operational life in front of (sometimes 3 feet in front of) the lead singer of a loud band with no issues (with the mic - the band has plenty of issues)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 01:27:15 AM »

My experiences with the 105 come down to "yes, it picks up the whole damn stage".... but it sounds good doing it.

Robert Scovill talks about needing Tom Petty off the SM57 because all the bleed sounded very colored (a polite way of saying....) and that made it difficult to mix in the signals contributing to the stage bleed.  Some judicious delay alignment and a microphone that had very good off-axis response were required, but once Petty gave up the 57, Robert was able to deliver a better mix to the audience.

So if there is garbage on stage, there will be garbage in the 105... and that's where my comment came from.  I should have been clearer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »

My experiences with the 105 come down to "yes, it picks up the whole damn stage".... but it sounds good doing it.
So if there is garbage on stage, there will be garbage in the 105... and that's where my comment came from.  I should have been clearer.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree!

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »

I found the same with the AT AE5400.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »

Well I used to have 6 SM-58's until they were stolen.........

I replaced the SM-58's with a trio of AT- ATM510's ( basically a Beta 58 ). I like the airiness they have. They are not as bright as the beta's and the midrange is very flat. To me they are pretty neutral sounding mic with a nice subtle top end. I also finished acquiring a quartet of AT-2010's. These sound really good for a mic at this price and I really like them. I use these for my better behaved acts and they always give me great results. I seem to be on an Audio Technica kick lately? I have a couple of Line 6 wireless mics and also really like the line 6 model as mentioned by another poster.

As an aside, I think Line 6 is onto something. They surely have a couple products that are tough to beat and the price is really good. Their wireless stuff is solid and easy to use. The mic modeling idea is ok, but pointless to me. I got it because the price was too good to pass up and not try. Turns out the product was really good. If you need a beater mic that sounds good and has the same build quality as mid level Shure or Sennheiser, then Line 6 is a good option. I was shocked that I had no desire to return it; I went out and bought another instead.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

I have a collection of various Shure and Audix (OM2, OM6, OM7) mics.  I recently bought a Sennheiser 965 and 945 and am enjoying both, particularly on female vocals.  The 965 has been working great for jazz vocalists.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.