ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ELX/ZLX 1over1 vs QRX212 performance  (Read 9772 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: ELX/ZLX 1over1 vs QRX212 performance
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »

About 4-5 inches at the front with the backs touching seems about right, in the field about a fist wide.

Although I have been in a room that has 2 per side just flat and it is not as bad as you might think it would be.

4-5 inches at the front puts the cabs at about 40 degrees to one another.  I would run my QRx115's (same horn) closer to 55 degrees.  Either way will produce good results. 

As Doug suggested, it's a good experiment to test this for yourself using pink noise.  Be aware that comb filtering will be more obvious with pink noise than with music.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »

The highest end cabs I've used are the SRX712M and QRX112, The QRX is big and heavy compared to the SRX and I believe either would put the ZLX to shame for performance with or without the horns coupled as you describe.  The larger versions will give you more SPL but a 15 or double 12 are bound to be a little more muddy in the mids I think up to the point where the single 12 starts to distort enough to let the more robust cab take honors.

I like the idea of having both small and large cabs to perform a variety of functions at a wider variety of gigs. Personally, no matter how well done, even if it sounded OK, I think using the one inverted cab over another looks tacky. If you want to appreciate the higher end cabs, rent some first. You'll make less money on those gigs, but you'll learn which you like best.  Also, when deciding on cabs, consider strongly what you can rent from another provider for when you have a gig where more, but same-model, cabs are needed. It will keep you from losing that gig to a larger provider.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »

You can rotate HF with these.  Try the various orientations.  Run some noise, have someone adjust the splay on the boxes, and use the distance with the least interference.  If the coverage is too wide, turn the outside box down appropriately.  It will also mitigate the interference issues.

If I ever hung them sideways (if I wanted a lower profile) I have thought about trying to rotate the horns but the downward splay of the horn would make it rather weird rotating them when they are standing up. Most of the time these are used outdoors with the audience spread out rather wide. They are normally 75degrees wide by 50degrees with that 50 configured as 15degrees up and 35degrees down. So 2 of them (in normal configuration) should cover about 150dgrees wide and the audience where these are used the most times is on a flat surface. Lately a goose poop cover lawn but that is another subject. So I don’t want to lose all of the energy into the sky and too close up front. As far as turning the outer ones down I don’t really want to lose coverage or level to the side but it may be worth losing a little if it cleans it up. I will have to try that tomorrow. 

I have a friend in Georgia that has some QRX and he has told me it is a real pain taking them apart and putting them back together. He was trying to play around with rotating the horns.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »

About 4-5 inches at the front with the backs touching seems about right, in the field about a fist wide.

Although I have been in a room that has 2 per side just flat and it is not as bad as you might think it would be.

I have tired just about every combination of splay distances and (I feel) they always interfere unpleasantly between the 2 boxes. The first time I used them I asked the guy who had just bought them if he could return them. I should say I have never heard any point source boxes that I liked the way it sounds in-between them. I calculated what I thought that a box with a 75degree wide horn should have for a theoretical optimal spread and it was very wide. I think it was last year that I tried that. It seemed to sound a lot better with playback between the boxes. But when the band started to play (no sound check) it didn’t sound as good as it usually did for this system and I quickly readjusted the boxes angles. So I am probably not getting a full 150degrees of coverage but I am getting a rather wide pattern that I need in this application.

I did a show one time with them where the owner wanted to use two per side and the room wasn’t wide enough and didn’t need two per side. So I flat fronted them and did the old trick of vocals in one and instruments in the other. And they sounded really good.

I spoke to EV about this today and they are going to get back to me as to what they think the optimal spread should be. If I have time tomorrow (at the last outdoor show of the season that these are used for) I will have to play with some different settings and configurations. 

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »

I have my horns rotated so the 15 degree sides are in the middle when stacked side by side. I then give them about 3 inches of space in front and cabs touching in rear.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.