ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ELX/ZLX 1over1 vs QRX212 performance  (Read 9775 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: ELX/ZLX 1over1 vs QRX212 performance
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:40 AM »

Perfect, now all we need is some truck straps and we can build a golf ball array with ZLX !!

Just tight pack them in every plane, strap them together and off you go.

That mental picture made my day.  ;D

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »

Perfect, now all we need is some truck straps and we can build a golf ball array with ZLX !!

Just tight pack them in every plane, strap them together and off you go.

.... and how well did U2's "orange pumpkin" work out....... :o
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Kevin Tracy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »

.... and how well did U2's "orange pumpkin" work out....... :o

OK Ha Ha on me. Now care to answer a serious question?
I have 4 EV ELX12Ps I use 2 over JBL 2x15 subs. I sometimes need more mid high spl. I'm looking at 2 solutions.
1- 1 over 1 ELX ( horns together)
2 - Buy something used like ev QRX 212. SRX722, SLS960, Jbl SR 47XX?

Solution 1 alows me to do jobs alone and 4 elxs alow a bigger veriety of venues needs.
solution 2 covers bigger $ jobs but they are once in a blue moon for me right now.

How much less mid high SPL is #1 than #2? Does it matter?

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »

Really loving where this topic is going :-). Getting beer and nuts ;-)

Kevin Tracy

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »

Really loving where this topic is going :-). Getting beer and nuts ;-)

I'm ever so glad I can supply all your days with levity :) But I will endure being the brunt because I know there are open, sharing, expeienced pros on here too. I have enjoyed reading their posts for years. 

Martin Primus

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »

I'm ever so glad I can supply all your days with levity :) But I will endure being the brunt because I know there are open, sharing, expeienced pros on here too. I have enjoyed reading their posts for years.

As a frequent user of QRX212, if you don't mind the passive nature of them, you can most likely just use them for most/all of your gigs.  They are pretty easily managed by one person for ground stacking on subs, and as has been mentioned, will outrun the MI boxes by quite a bit.  If you need more boxes for fill for wide rooms, etc. you could look at using the ELX boxes on poles as fills.  You'd be surprised probably what a single QRX212 will do.  Other options will probably work too, but I go back to how easy this box is to handle with one person in most cases.  Something like an SLS960 is going to be a 2 man lift every time. 

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »

As a frequent user of QRX212, if you don't mind the passive nature of them, you can most likely just use them for most/all of your gigs.  They are pretty easily managed by one person for ground stacking on subs, and as has been mentioned, will outrun the MI boxes by quite a bit.  If you need more boxes for fill for wide rooms, etc. you could look at using the ELX boxes on poles as fills.  You'd be surprised probably what a single QRX212 will do.  Other options will probably work too, but I go back to how easy this box is to handle with one person in most cases.  Something like an SLS960 is going to be a 2 man lift every time.

When using 2 QRX212 speakers side by side have you found an ideal distance to separate the fronts by?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »

When using 2 QRX212 speakers side by side have you found an ideal distance to separate the fronts by?

You can rotate HF with these.  Try the various orientations.  Run some noise, have someone adjust the splay on the boxes, and use the distance with the least interference.  If the coverage is too wide, turn the outside box down appropriately.  It will also mitigate the interference issues.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

About 4-5 inches at the front with the backs touching seems about right, in the field about a fist wide.

Although I have been in a room that has 2 per side just flat and it is not as bad as you might think it would be.
Jay Barracato

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »

OK Ha Ha on me. Now care to answer a serious question?
I have 4 EV ELX12Ps I use 2 over JBL 2x15 subs. I sometimes need more mid high spl. I'm looking at 2 solutions.
1- 1 over 1 ELX ( horns together)
2 - Buy something used like ev QRX 212. SRX722, SLS960, Jbl SR 47XX?

Solution 1 alows me to do jobs alone and 4 elxs alow a bigger veriety of venues needs.
solution 2 covers bigger $ jobs but they are once in a blue moon for me right now.

How much less mid high SPL is #1 than #2? Does it matter?

The 1 over 1 solution is bad. You get bad comb filtering which will negate much of the benefit of adding a second box. Get a QRX212 or an SRX722, and use your existing speakers as outfills for really big gigs, and alone for small ones.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.