ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Business case to add SLS960  (Read 2594 times)

Kevin Tracy

Business case to add SLS960
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »

what is the Business case to add 2 Community SLS960 ( or equivelent.) to a SOS weekend warrior band member PA rig owner. I think it would open up some fairs, small festivals , perhaps corporate ? 

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Business case to add SLS960
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »

what is the Business case to add 2 Community SLS960 ( or equivelent.) to a SOS weekend warrior band member PA rig owner. I think it would open up some fairs, small festivals , perhaps corporate ?

Depends if you're a business that needs specific tools to meet demand, or if you're looking at some shiny tools and hoping they will create demand?  Do you have gigs coming up where SOS aren't enough, more than is feasible to hire in for? 

If it were me, playing in a weekend warrior band for fun - the fun would outweigh ROI.  Thus, some SH46's over DBH218's with Powersoft power and a Pro2c would be what I would go for.  Bring half the subs for small gigs, turn down volume, but have a big smile after load-in was done and the system was cranked up. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

You're backwards - go get the business then get the gear.  Don't make an investment then try to find a way to use it.

That said, it's a good choice.  Tim Trace (been around the forums forever, even since the mid-90s) has been running 960s forever for his band, and I think he branches out occasionally.  He's a real guy, but gave it up for IT (wisely ;-) some time back.  Now he has fun with audio :-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »

960's are the easiest way to get super efficient horn loaded tops into your rig. I can't find an economically feasible replacement. I have 6 of them. You need at least two strong guys to get them up high enough.

Kevin Tracy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

Depends if you're a business that needs specific tools to meet demand, or if you're looking at some shiny tools and hoping they will create demand?  Do you have gigs coming up where SOS aren't enough, more than is feasible to hire in for? 

If it were me, playing in a weekend warrior band for fun - the fun would outweigh ROI.  Thus, some SH46's over DBH218's with Powersoft power and a Pro2c would be what I would go for.  Bring half the subs for small gigs, turn down volume, but have a big smile after load-in was done and the system was cranked up.
[
caleb, nice mercedes level gear but my budget is About 2k . ha
Calebuote]

Rick Powell

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

Questions:
Do you have the subbage to keep up with the 960's?
Do you have a lead on some fair/festival/corporate gigs? Are you getting calls to do jobs offline of your band, currently? If so, what is the market rate in your area for a rig that would cover 200-300 people - maybe 400-500 with more mellow music - in small outdoor settings (which is about what your rig would cover with 960's and matching subbage).

ROI is all about what you paid for the gear, how long it will last, and what markets it allows you to gain or keep, on a lifespan or amortized on a yearly basis.  Once you can answer your questions, you can do the math, if it's all about business and not all about fun.  I'm sorta between the two...coulda bought a cheap SOS rig but opted for a rack full of Crowns, Danley SM80s and TH115s, and JTR monitors cause I have been in this business too long and played on too many crap systems.  And we have a few LED tri color pars so we don't have to play in the dark.  But we get lots of calls with practically no effort in marketing, through existing relationships and word of mouth, and the rig stays fairly busy, maybe 3-5 jobs every month, about 50/50 between our band and outside clients, which is about how much we want to work.  The sound guys in our area who actually go after business are as busy as they want to be, and so are we.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.