ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at a possible powered system.  (Read 11997 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Looking at a possible powered system.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

Hi,

Im currently in the market for some new powered tops. We currently use 4 JBL SRX715's or when needed a small (5box perside) peavey versarray rig. What I would like to do is purchase a few powered tops (trap boxes) to replace the JBLs.

Budget is about $1500 a box
Looking to cover up to 700ish people
Typical venues are clubs and warehouses, most common is 40'x100'

I was looking at the DB technologies flexsys F212, 2 or 3 perside, but can't find any reviews on them or a place to demo.

What can you recommend?

Before we start with suggestions, can you tell us why you wish to make a lateral move; are you keeping the existing system and if so, do you plan on combining it with the new system?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

SeanHalstead

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

Before we start with suggestions, can you tell us why you wish to make a lateral move; are you keeping the existing system and if so, do you plan on combining it with the new system?

Basically I would like to have a simpler system that I can trust some one else to setup. plug and play. I might keep the srx cabs for a bit but if the new powered system will do the same job I will sell them.

SeanHalstead

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

SeanHalstead

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »

In the same ballpark, but maybe not quite up to par with the SRX series is the PRX.   Retailers have big markdowns on the 600 series to make room for the 700's.

Take a look at the PRX625 and PRX635 and see if either one of them might be close to what you want.  They can be bought new for $800 per box now

Ive heard alot of stories about the PRX stuff having thermal issues. did they fix that in the new 700 series?

James A. Griffin

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

Ive heard alot of stories about the PRX stuff having thermal issues. did they fix that in the new 700 series?

I never hear "a lot of stories", just an anecdote or two.   I've never had an issue with my PRX635s
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

Basically I would like to have a simpler system that I can trust some one else to setup. plug and play. I might keep the srx cabs for a bit but if the new powered system will do the same job I will sell them.

I'm not seeing this as simpler than an amp rack with labeled i/o panel for your SRX rig.

There was a fairly recent discussion either in the LAB Lounge or over in Junior Varsity at Soundforums.net about the deployment logistics involved in self-powered vs. conventional systems.  Everything is a trade off.  And the more configurable the speaker system voicing, the more *not plug and play* it becomes and the greater the possibility of pilot error during the setup (bump a button or knob on the back; why don't left & right sound the same?).

Do not underestimate the amount of simplicity needed to make something foolproof.  Better fools come along every day. :(

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »

Im looking into the TT series but they are out of my budget. Unless one perside but I don't think it will have enough SPL.
Here we go again.
It's not a vertical array box.  Standard trap cabinet.
Thanks for the help!

The coverage/SPL conversation concerning trap boxes is almost as common as the dot / dash array conversation.  I was expecting comments on that.  I'll humbly take my attempt at humorous sarcasm back.

Jesse gray

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »

I am using 2 QSC HPR 152i's right now in the venue I run, with its physical dimensions being more or less 100' by 100'. I would prefer two a side but i don't really liked them splayed, but if you flip one on top of the other, the only problem you would have is making sure your subs can keep up. You can find them in great condition used, for around $500-600. I got 4 of them and a bunch of cables for $2700. I don't know how they compare to the TT series as i have never heard them. Their specs are relatively similar,(Though I could be dead wrong, I am a small fish in a very large pond.) Hope that helps.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

The coverage/SPL conversation concerning trap boxes is almost as common as the dot / dash array conversation.  I was expecting comments on that.  I'll humbly take my attempt at humorous sarcasm back.

Ahhh, gotcha.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »

I am not sure I know of any powered boxes that I would consider the equivalent of the SRX in the price range you gave. If you are truly looking for a replacement it might be worth considering a single higher power trap per side which would allow you to spend more per box, as you would not need 2 per side.

The JBL VP7315 jumps to mind, and has the additional option of allowing you to stay digital for distributing your audio signal.

The TT25a looks like a decent choice for 1 box per side but I am not sure I would want to double them up due to the coverage pattern.

The TT5a (which I haven't heard yet) looks interesting and could be a possible competitor to the Meyer MSL4 which is kind of my reference standard for powered speakers in that class. Inside I would prefer a narrower pattern with an infill, so two a side looks good to me.

Anyways, it looks like my choice would be to either sell the SRX while they have good resale value and increase your budget, or keep the SRX because I don't see anything in your budget coming close. (And I am actually a huge fan of powered speakers so I can understand you wanting to make the switch)
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.