ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140468 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »

Dick,

It is my understanding that when the new firmware is released, the Qu-16 will support the a GLD-84 stage box (I believe they may support 2 of them and you would likely use the custom layer to control the additional 16 inputs this would give you).  That would give you a total of 24 or 32 inputs with the Qu-16.  Looks like the GLD-84 goes for around $1200.00, so upgrading would be costly.  If you only needed one and could live with 24 channels, that may be preferable to having 2 mixers.

Just a thought ;)

If that turns out to be true I'm really, really going to want one.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

If that turns out to be true I'm really, really going to want one.
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

+1

You will now join Scott and Jason in "The Bin" for "me-tooism" to his meaningless speculation. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »

Idle speculation.  We'll know soon enough.
The support of the stage box is not speculation.  From the Qu-16 User Manual (bottom of page 8 )

dSNAKE – The proprietary Allen & Heath ‘digital snake’
connection for remote audio using the AR2412 AudioRack,
and personal monitoring using the ME system.

... and from the brochure:

Qu-16 is a self-contained mixer, so if you’ve already got the
analogue cables you’re good to go. If you’re thinking of
trading in the copper multicore for a Cat5 digital snake,
Qu-16’s dSNAKE port has you future-proofed, allowing
connection to a remote AR2412 or AR84 Stagebox.
dSNAKE is our proprietary networking solution, boasting a
transport latency of only 105us over cable runs of up to
120m / 390’. So if you’re mixing FoH you can place your I/O
on the stage and run a single Cat5 cable back to the Qu-16
in the mix position.

The use of the custom layer to support more channels is speculation, but fairly well reasoned speculation IMHO.

This would give the Qu-16 the ability to do 24 channels at a minimum with just the AR2412 (since none of the documentation specifically states that you can use the dSnake external channels together with the built in ones).  I am still betting that it will handle 32 using 2 banks of 16 (including the custom layer).

As you say, we will know soon enough.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:05:31 PM by Scott Bolt »

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »

You will now join Scott and Jason in "The Bin" for "me-tooism" to his meaningless speculation.

Don't know if you'll see this... But I had no intention of offending you, I've always appreciated your excellent advise.

Anyway have a great weekend,

Tommy

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 03:00:57 AM »

Scott,  to the best of my knowledge, the QU-16 will work with an AR2412, or the AR84 when the feature is turned on in a firmware update.  MAP on the AR2412 is $2199, MAP on the AR84 is $1099.

I had really hoped that you would be able to link up a QU-16 into a system with one of the other A&H consoles to use as a basic monitor or record mixer, etc. Looks as though this wont be possible though as I don't think D-Snake will do that, and there is no card slot.

Once they have added in the D-Snake functionality though, I expect this console to gain a lot of traction. As I already have an AR2412 and 2 AR84s it seems a logical option to add a few of these consoles to the ranks.

Gareth

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:18 AM »

I got my Qu-16 2 weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to use it in our next gig. I'm in a small, 3 person wedding band and we mix from stage. Can't wait to do our first virtual sound check using the Qu drive!

Nice idea about the physically routed mix / subgroup. Make sure that the return channels aren't assigned to the wrong output mix to prevent a feedback loop :-)

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the scene filters / global safes. At this moment, all parameters are saved in a scene (including master volume). Great for some initial scenes, but I wouldn't want to recall such scene during a song, and have the master volume changed unintentionally.
When it becomes possible I'm planning to create several "partial scenes". One with all pre-amp settings, one with the master mix and all in ear mixes of the band members and finally some partial scenes containing several different FX settings.

In my band there's a guitarist / lead singer, a female singer, and I play the keyboards (a Tyros 3). We use midi files and several Tyros 3 styles and we play / sing along.
Now the ultimate goal is to trigger the right scene from these midi files automatically (ie. when there's a guitar solo at measure 30 --> recall partial scene "guitar solo", with adjusted main mix).
I intend to use the Ethernet port on the Qu-16 for this (MIDI over Ethernet). Tyros 3 is connected over USB to a laptop which in turn is connected to the Qu 16 over Ethernet. I'm a software engineer, so I'm able to create a small tool which will relay these Midi messages correctly.

One thing I miss on the Qu-16 is the mute FX foot switch which is present on the MixWizard3 16:2 (which we used until now).

However: I managed to create a simple Android app which connects to the Qu-16 over Ethernet. The app has 2 large buttons, FX on / FX off.
I used the GLD 80 TCP/IP specifications http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?filename=DocumentMaster/GLD/GLD%20TCPIP%20Protocol%20V1.1_1.pdf to determine which codes need to be sent over Ethernet. And to my surprise, these codes work on the Qu-16 as well! I managed to mute FX return channels 1 to 4 using my own app.
So in between songs, the lead singer can control the FX like he used to do with the foot switch, but now with his phone.

I'm also curious about the Qu-pad app. I already own an Android tablet, so no luck there. What to do... buy an I-pad just for remote mixing?
It's tempting for me to do some reverse engineering and try to build an Android mixing app myself (since muting the FX was so easy to do, right away).
Anyway, time is money... I'll have to think about how much spare time I'm willing to spend creating such an app.....

One final question: does anyone know if USB audio streaming for Windows PC's will be supported eventually, or will this remain a Macintosh specific feature forever?

All in all I'm very enthusiastic about the Qu-16, and I'm looking forward to use it to it's fullest potential!

- George
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:24:24 AM by George Wieggers »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »

I got my Qu-16 2 weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to use it in our next gig. I'm in a small, 3 person wedding band and we mix from stage. Can't wait to do our first virtual sound check using the Qu drive!

Nice idea about the physically routed mix / subgroup. Make sure that the return channels aren't assigned to the wrong output mix to prevent a feedback loop :-)

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the scene filters / global safes. At this moment, all parameters are saved in a scene (including master volume). Great for some initial scenes, but I wouldn't want to recall such scene during a song, and have the master volume changed unintentionally.
When it becomes possible I'm planning to create several "partial scenes". One with all pre-amp settings, one with the master mix and all in ear mixes of the band members and finally some partial scenes containing several different FX settings.

In my band there's a guitarist / lead singer, a female singer, and I play the keyboards (a Tyros 3). We use midi files and several Tyros 3 styles and we play / sing along.
Now the ultimate goal is to trigger the right scene from these midi files automatically (ie. when there's a guitar solo at measure 30 --> recall partial scene "guitar solo", with adjusted main mix).
I intend to use the Ethernet port on the Qu-16 for this (MIDI over Ethernet). Tyros 3 is connected over USB to a laptop which in turn is connected to the Qu 16 over Ethernet. I'm a software engineer, so I'm able to create a small tool which will relay these Midi messages correctly.

One thing I miss on the Qu-16 is the mute FX foot switch which is present on the MixWizard3 16:2 (which we used until now).

However: I managed to create a simple Android app which connects to the Qu-16 over Ethernet. The app has 2 large buttons, FX on / FX off.
I used the GLD 80 TCP/IP specifications http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?filename=DocumentMaster/GLD/GLD%20TCPIP%20Protocol%20V1.1_1.pdf to determine which codes need to be sent over Ethernet. And to my surprise, these codes work on the Qu-16 as well! I managed to mute FX return channels 1 to 4 using my own app.
So in between songs, the lead singer can control the FX like he used to do with the foot switch, but now with his phone.

I'm also curious about the Qu-pad app. I already own an Android tablet, so no luck there. What to do... buy an I-pad just for remote mixing?
It's tempting for me to do some reverse engineering and try to build an Android mixing app myself (since muting the FX was so easy to do, right away).
Anyway, time is money... I'll have to think about how much spare time I'm willing to spend creating such an app.....

One final question: does anyone know if USB audio streaming for Windows PC's will be supported eventually, or will this remain a Macintosh specific feature forever?

All in all I'm very enthusiastic about the Qu-16, and I'm looking forward to use it to it's fullest potential!

- George
George,

Wow.  That is quite a show workflow you have going there.  Impressive!

Have you had the chance to time the scene changes?  I had never thought of doing scene changes WITHIN a song, but rather only from song to song.  I was concerned with how long the change would take and that there may be a moment of being "in the middle of the road" for a short period of time.

I was also unaware that the Qu-16 suppored MIDI commands over Ethernet!  One of the reasons I had eliminated the Qu-16 from my list was that it didn't have a MIDI port.  I intended to use a MIDI foot pedal to do scene changes with.

I too mix from stage and intended to monitor levels with an iPad on a microphone stand, and use the MIDI foot switch to do my scene changes with between songs.  I am pretty sure I could also change the patch on the drummers vDrums using the FCB1010, but if not, I could use a MIDI to ethernet box to do this with on the Qu-16.

Thanks for your post!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

On the MixWiz, it was easy to run an aux fed sub.  What's the best way to route an aux fed sub on the Qu-16?

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

On the MixWiz, it was easy to run an aux fed sub.  What's the best way to route an aux fed sub on the Qu-16?

I've been thinking about this as well...

My approach: I would use one of the mono mixes (say... mono mix 1) for this. Assign all needed input channels to this mix (post fader) and put the input channel faders on this mix to unity gain.

As soon as the custom layer is available in an upcoming firmware release, then you could assign the right most fader (fader 16) to mix 1 output level. Then the master LR fader is right next to your sub fader.

- George

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.