ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140753 times)

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

Does it have mute groups?

On my LS9 I have a mute group for the band inputs. The MC mic is not in the group. When the band stood, one push and the band inputs are muted. I can unmute the MC manually.
Yes four mute groups but they mute the inputs so we can't set monitors if the channel is muted. I guess there's no good way to do it. Our other mixers have subgroups so it's not a problem. I've worked with smaller mixers before. It's more of a nuisance than anything.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »

I just received a Qu-16 for use at my (small) church.  I've been running it through it's paces at home, deciding how best to set up monitors, fx, soft keys, etc.  We've been using a MixWiz.  I use an LS9 for my own work.

So far I'm loving the Qu-drive functionality even though it's a bit picky about disk formatting and such.  In my test setup, I've loaded multitrack projects from here onto a hard drive to be able to mix a full band while testing in my basement.  That's handy.

Question:
I have a stereo input into ST1.  Is it possible to send a summed left and right channel from ST1 to both sides (or just one side) of a stereo mix output?  This is needed when using a stereo mix out to feed a mono wedge and a source signal is stereo.  ex: stereo keys into ST1. Keys is using a wedge off of mix 5-6 and needs both L & R from the keyboard in the wedge.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

Yes four mute groups but they mute the inputs so we can't set monitors if the channel is muted. I guess there's no good way to do it. Our other mixers have subgroups so it's not a problem. I've worked with smaller mixers before. It's more of a nuisance than anything.

My "work-around" for this is to go ahead and use a mute group for all inputs except the MC mic.  Here's the work flow:

1.  Mute all.

2.  Un-assign everything from the L/R bus by pressing the "assign" button, then running your finger down the row of channel "select" buttons to remove them from the mains bus.

3.  Un-mute all.  You can now work up your monitor mix.

4.  Mute all.

5.  Re-assign all channels to the main mix.

6.  Un-mute all.

The whole process of mute/un-assign or mute/assign takes all of a few seconds.

Corey...

If possible, I'd switch the keys monitor mix to one of the mono auxes.  There might be a more complicated work-around involving splitting the keys inputs into St1 and St2, hard panning each the opposite way and then assigning the L and R inputs into one side of the stereo aux, but you'd have to burn a lot of circuitry to do it.  If you have the routing to spare you could make it work.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
Re: Qu-16 Users / ISO Android App
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »

The App has 2 large buttons.

A green "FX On" button and a red "FX Off" button. They control the mute setting of FX returns 1 to 4.

And above these buttons, there's a simple text-box to type in a simple comment.
The lead singer requested this text box, so that he can type in the name of the bride and groom :-)

Then there's a settings page, where you can enter the IP address of the Qu-16.
Connect the Qu-16 to your network, set it's DHCP setting to on, and go to the diagnostics page, to see it's actual IP address.
Make sure that your phone is connected to the same network using Wifi.

That's all for now.

The app isn't available in google play. But if anyone is interested, then I can put up a URL to the .apk file so that you can download and install it for yourself....

www.feestband.nu/qu_16_app

Disclaimer: use at your own risk. I cannot guarantee anything, even if the app will continue to work with future firmware versions, because A&H didn't release any official specifications yet.

- George

So, I finally got my hands on an Ipad mini. This allowed me to watch the network traffic and learn the midi commands to which the Qu-16 responds.

I'm making slow progress with my own FX-on / FX-off Android app: communication is bi-directional now.
The app could already control the FX mute settings on the Qu-16.. But now it also detects a FX-mute setting change, as soon as it happens on the mixing desk itself.

If anyone wants to try... the download (new version) is still there...

- George

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
New Forum for QU-16 Users
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

Allen & Heath has a new Forum for QU-16 Users. There is a General Discussion, a Feature Request and a Troubleshooting board. Members of the old forum are required to reset their passwords.

http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/forum/qu
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:57:34 AM by Marty America »
Marty America
Chaska, MN

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
Re: New Forum for QU-16 Users
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »

I managed to create an initial release of an Android tablet app, to remote control the Qu-16.

Visit my site for more info.

- George

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

I managed to create an initial release of an Android tablet app, to remote control the Qu-16.

Visit my site for more info.

- George

Looking good, George.  Keep it coming....

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »

Regarding Qu-Drive multitrack recording / playback...

I purchased a Seagate Slim 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive a few months ago and have used it a few times with the Qu-16.  Before an event I was using Qu-Drive to play back multitrack files so that I could get a feel for the room, set monitor levels, etc.  I noticed that if the hard drive was bumped at all, the playback would pause momentarily then continue.  This concerns me that when recording, the same thing may happen.  I think the hard drive may have some built-in shock protection that retracts the heads to keep anything internal from physically touching when it senses a shock.

I began looking at alternatives in either SSD's or USB flash drives - both of which are warned against in the manual.  I ended up getting a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive.  This particular drive has tested with the fastest speeds available for a flash drive.  It is faster than the HDD previously used so I assumed it should work.  My assumption was correct.  There have been no issues recording or playing back multitrack from this flash drive.  It also formats faster than the HDD.  The only downside to this flash drive is it's slightly long and could possible be hit and broken while sticking up out of the board.  I plan to get a short USB extension cable to eliminate this possibility.

Anyone else have any tips for recording multitrack with the Qu-16?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »

I purchased a Seagate Slim 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive a few months ago and have used it a few times with the Qu-16.  Before an event I was using Qu-Drive to play back multitrack files so that I could get a feel for the room, set monitor levels, etc.  I noticed that if the hard drive was bumped at all, the playback would pause momentarily then continue. 

I have a 500 gig Seagate USB hard drive that I'm using.  It is a little older model than yours.  I have not experienced any disruptions while using it.

Have you thought of placing the drive in the hollow underneath the board?  You could even set it on a 2" thick piece of soft foam.  If you're getting any skips from shock after that, I'd consider less rowdy gigging environments.....(grin).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:12:04 PM by dick rees »

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

I purchased a Seagate Slim 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive a few months ago and have used it a few times with the Qu-16.  Before an event I was using Qu-Drive to play back multitrack files so that I could get a feel for the room, set monitor levels, etc.  I noticed that if the hard drive was bumped at all, the playback would pause momentarily then continue.  This concerns me that when recording, the same thing may happen.  I think the hard drive may have some built-in shock protection that retracts the heads to keep anything internal from physically touching when it senses a shock.

I began looking at alternatives in either SSD's or USB flash drives - both of which are warned against in the manual.  I ended up getting a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive.  This particular drive has tested with the fastest speeds available for a flash drive.  It is faster than the HDD previously used so I assumed it should work.  My assumption was correct.  There have been no issues recording or playing back multitrack from this flash drive.  It also formats faster than the HDD.  The only downside to this flash drive is it's slightly long and could possible be hit and broken while sticking up out of the board.  I plan to get a short USB extension cable to eliminate this possibility.

Anyone else have any tips for recording multitrack with the Qu-16?

Just speculating here but I know that some laptop HDDs have a shock(physical not electrical) sensor that will cause the drive to park the read/write heads when the drive is dropped or possibly bumped. I have no idea if an external drive would have this feature or if the drive stopping for the second or less would cause the playback to stop though. Still with the amount of data the drive is having to read/write the buffer might not be enough to keep the data flowing if the drive had to park it's head for a second.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.