ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 139953 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Qu-16 users
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »

I finally got my Qu-16 about 10 days ago, and it was worth the wait.  BIG ups to  Ryan Jenkins (LOUDMUSIC) for handling the order for me.

So, I now have a comprehensive 16 channel desk to handle the average jobs.  Very compact, so this old man can put it in a spare accordion padded case and sling it over his shoulder.  I'm keeping my SLive 24:4:2 for when I need a higher channel count, but it looks like it'll be 4 gigs on the Qu to 1 on the SLive.

The Presonus took me about an hour to figure out.  The Qu-16 a couple of hours as it has more features.  I've gone over all the current functions (much, much more in the pipeline) and even found a way to route stuff to a functional sub-group by using one of the stereo auxes to feed one of the Stereo Inputs via an XLRF>TRS jumper.  So no lack of sub-group capability there.

The only thing that I'll really, REALLY miss (and will be begging A&H to put on their future features list) will be the SLive downward expanders.  Absolutely the best way to keep a mix clean on a loud stage with the typical multi-band, no change-over time gigs.

So I'm hoping to hear from other Qu-users here.

WARNING:

Anyone chiming in with posts on other desks with larger channel counts, twice the price or ANYTHING about the X32 will incur severe displeasure and instantly placed in the "iggy bin" to rot for eternity.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

On the GLD, the gate is excellent for cleaning up a mix.  I find that 6-10 dB of attenuation works for most of my stuff.  I adjust the hold and release as needed per input.  The GLD also let's us key in on a frequency range, does the QU-16 also do that?  I doesn't mention it in the user guide.  I don't know it to be a fact but I would ASSume the gate on both the GLD and the QU-16 to be the same algorithm and I find it very smooth and as natural sounding as a gate can be.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »

I finally got my Qu-16 about 10 days ago, and it was worth the wait.  BIG ups to  Ryan Jenkins (LOUDMUSIC) for handling the order for me.

So, I now have a comprehensive 16 channel desk to handle the average jobs.  Very compact, so this old man can put it in a spare accordion padded case and sling it over his shoulder.  I'm keeping my SLive 24:4:2 for when I need a higher channel count, but it looks like it'll be 4 gigs on the Qu to 1 on the SLive.

The Presonus took me about an hour to figure out.  The Qu-16 a couple of hours as it has more features.  I've gone over all the current functions (much, much more in the pipeline) and even found a way to route stuff to a functional sub-group by using one of the stereo auxes to feed one of the Stereo Inputs via an XLRF>TRS jumper.  So no lack of sub-group capability there.

The only thing that I'll really, REALLY miss (and will be begging A&H to put on their future features list) will be the SLive downward expanders.  Absolutely the best way to keep a mix clean on a loud stage with the typical multi-band, no change-over time gigs.

So I'm hoping to hear from other Qu-users here.

WARNING:

Anyone chiming in with posts on other desks with larger channel counts, twice the price or ANYTHING about the X32 will incur severe displeasure and instantly placed in the "iggy bin" to rot for eternity.

DR

Are you using it with the AR2412 as well? Or plan to?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »

Are you using it with the AR2412 as well? Or plan to?

It is not possible to use it with the 2412 at this time.  And yes, I plan to relegate my copper snake to "spares in the trailer" status ASAP.

Ryan....

I can't say for sure off the top of my head, but I've seen nothing so far which would allow an insert on the gate to use a frequency trigger.  I'll look for that the next time I'm going through things.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:18:14 PM by dick rees »

Jared Koopman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »

Does the GEQ for mains and mixes "consume" an FX slot or is it independent?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:32:54 PM »

Does the GEQ for mains and mixes "consume" an FX slot or is it independent?

Independent.

Anyone can now download the user manual from A&H.  It's not a large file and is fairly comprehensive, although some little tricks have been omitted.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »

It is not possible to use it with the 2412 at this time.  And yes, I plan to relegate my copper snake to "spares in the trailer" status ASAP.

Ryan....

I can't say for sure off the top of my head, but I've seen nothing so far which would allow an insert on the gate to use a frequency trigger.  I'll look for that the next time I'm going through things.

On the GLD it is right on the gate screen.  Does not let us key another input, just a frequency range.  You would see it if it were there.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

On the GLD it is right on the gate screen.  Does not let us key another input, just a frequency range.  You would see it if it were there.

I didn't remember anything and I don't see it here, either.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

The only way I can see that you could get the Qu gates to be at all frequency reactive would be if the PEQ was ahead of the gate in the processing chain... and it isn't.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

So, how about those X32's, Expression's, and Pro series desks??

Nice board Dick, and I wish you lot's of good luck with it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.