ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Expression  (Read 49200 times)

chris harkin

Re: Soundcraft Expression
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:01:56 PM »

MADI connectivity solutions;

Soundcraft recommended solutions for MADI connectivity.

Hello,
I'm having a lot of problems trying to get madi to work correctly. I have a si expression 3 (slave) and a si performer 2 going into a mini stage box. I've tried just about everything i can see signal on both boards on the right channel but have absolutely no control on the master board. the trim on the slave board does not seem to be working either. Cant seem to get sound craft technical support on the phone for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:04:48 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »

Hello,
I'm having a lot of problems trying to get madi to work correctly. I have a si expression 3 (slave) and a si performer 2 going into a mini stage box. I've tried just about everything i can see signal on both boards on the right channel but have absolutely no control on the master board. the trim on the slave board does not seem to be working either. Cant seem to get sound craft technical support on the phone for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Steven Welwood

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »

That has not been stated by Soundcraft, and the diagram came from Soundcraft.

Getting mixed messages from Soundcraft.

My setup is just the FOH board and Stagebox 32. I got a 150' cable that seems to match the specs you show above, but I've been getting clicks similar to word clock issues. I messaged Elliot from SC through Facebook, and this is an excerpt of his response to me:

Our MADI (as were are the only company that has MADI over cat 5) needs a good quality of sheilded cable to achieve the maximum lengths without dropouts. We sell our own cable which is properly tested to 120 metres (not sure of that in feet!) with no problems, however we also recommended KLOTZ RC5SB cable which is good over 120 metres and is readily available.

I've been trying to find a F/UTP (foil outer shield) Cat 5e cable with solid core but having a hard time locating any in North America, let alone Canada.

BTW, their own cable sells for $1275/100m (328') roll on fullcompass.com. No, thank you.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »

Getting mixed messages from Soundcraft.

My setup is just the FOH board and Stagebox 32. I got a 150' cable that seems to match the specs you show above, but I've been getting clicks similar to word clock issues. I messaged Elliot from SC through Facebook, and this is an excerpt of his response to me:

I've been trying to find a F/UTP (foil outer shield) Cat 5e cable with solid core but having a hard time locating any in North America, let alone Canada.

BTW, their own cable sells for $1275/100m (328') roll on fullcompass.com. No, thank you.

I don't work for Soundcraft, but this is based on my experiences touring with a Vi6 for a number of years (since ver 1).

The clicks indicate that the console and the stage box are not properly syncing to each other. It is caused by the cable having a capacitance that falls outside the acceptable tolerance for the Madi cards.

If you are in Canada, try SF Marketing in Montreal. We used their (Digiflex tactical cat5 if I recall correctly) sheilded cat5 cable for a 300ft Vi6 snake. I can't recall if it was solid core.
What we found with the Vi6 is that the Madi over cat5 is very picky about the cable. Certain brands work and others cause the clicking you are hearing.
If there is a sound company near you try a length of whatever they are using and see if it works.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:37:10 AM by John Sulek »

Steven Welwood

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 07:31:46 PM »

If you are in Canada, try SF Marketing in Montreal. We used their (Digiflex tactical cat5 if I recall correctly) sheilded cat5 cable for a 300ft Vi6 snake. I can't recall if it was solid core.
What we found with the Vi6 is that the Madi over cat5 is very picky about the cable. Certain brands work and others cause the clicking you are hearing.
If there is a sound company near you try a length of whatever they are using and see if it works.

Thanks for the info. The Digiflex is shielded, but has a stranded core. Although it is working for you, I think I'll probably get this one (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200) from Sweetwater, as suggested to me by Tim McCulloch in a different thread.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »

Thanks for the info. The Digiflex is shielded, but has a stranded core. Although it is working for you, I think I'll probably get this one (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200) from Sweetwater, as suggested to me by Tim McCulloch in a different thread.

I've been using these with no issues in the 9 months I've been using  it w/a Soundcraft Performer and 32 x 8 mini stagebox

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/386244.html

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »

MADI connectivity solutions;

Soundcraft recommended solutions for MADI connectivity.

LINK

Does anybody know the cable type and distance limitations for the word clock cable that is shown in these recommended solutions?

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »

Does anybody know the cable type and distance limitations for the word clock cable that is shown in these recommended solutions?

I have been using an Elite Core 200' Cat5e cable with Ethercon connectors....  I have a 300' on order and will let you know how it works out.

Here is a link to the cable:

http://www.churchaudiogear.net/200-ft-durable-cat5e-cable-with-neutrik-ethercon-rj45-to-standard-rj45-connector-aes50.html
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »

I have been using an Elite Core 200' Cat5e cable with Ethercon connectors....  I have a 300' on order and will let you know how it works out.

Here is a link to the cable:

http://www.churchaudiogear.net/200-ft-durable-cat5e-cable-with-neutrik-ethercon-rj45-to-standard-rj45-connector-aes50.html

I am not familiar with the console, but I am not aware of any wordclock system using CAT5 cable, usually it is BNC or XLR.

Mac

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »

I am not familiar with the console, but I am not aware of any wordclock system using CAT5 cable, usually it is BNC or XLR.

Mac

Michael, my question is about word clock, not the madi connections.

Mac, in this case were talking a typical BNC wordclock.  I've just never had a reason to run that type of signal very far.  The soundcraft diagram shows FOH and Monitor consoles tied together.  My understanding is that there would be an awful lot of attenuation on say a 200' run.  Perhaps you've had similar requirements with other digital equipment?

This is really just hypothetical for my anyway.  I prefer to use a good old transformer split rather then sharing mic pre's between two consoles and messing with digital trim controls etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.