The goal is to connect two Soundcraft Si series consoles to a MiniStagebox. I have done this with an Si Performer3 for house, an Si Performer1 for monitors and a MiniStagebox32 but the same should apply for the Si Expression series and possibly the older Si Compact series.
In this setup the FOH console will control the SB32 – it will have access to all the I/O and will control the mic pres. D.O.G.S on the FOH console will help keep gains from changing in Monitor-world if the FOH guy changes a gain.
- First you need the dual MADI card that comes with the SB32 installed in the FOH console (SC calls it a MADI HD card).
- Run a CAT5 or CAT6 cable from the Main port on the card at FOH to the Main port on the SB32.
- Then run a CAT5 or CAT6 crossover cable from the Aux port on the card at FOH to a MADI port on the monitor console. (The card in the monitor console can be either the single or dual MADI card.)
- Assign the channel inputs at FOH to the desired inputs on the SB32.
- Assign the direct outs on the FOH channels to MADI channels. (*I use MADI channels 33 through 64 – see note below)
- Assign your main outputs from FOH to the desired outputs on the SB32.
- Enable D.O.G.S on the FOH console.
- Set the channel inputs on the monitor console to the corresponding MADI channels you assigned as direct outs at FOH.
- Assign your monitor mix outputs to the local ports on the monitor console.
*Folks might instinctively use MADI channels 1 through 32 for the direct outs (I did at first) but there is a not so well documented gotcha if you do that AND are using the AES/EBU outputs on the SB32 to feed your mains. The AES/EBU outputs use MADI channels 9 through 16 between the console and the stage box. If you assign an output to one of those AES/EBU ports it is no longer available to be assigned to a direct output. Also, if you assign your direct outputs first and then assign the AES/EBU outputs, it allows you to do it and does not throw any kind of warning that it just removed those direct out assignments…
*D.O.G.S is not enabled by default and it does not appear to be saved when a show is saved. I enable D.O.G.S every time I power up the FOH console. I have not checked whether it remains enabled if you load another show file so you may want to check it if you do that in the middle of a show – ie loading a show file from the headliner’s sound-check after the opener is finished.
*Because FOH controls the mic pres and D.O.G.S is only effective over a limited range, you have to set gains at FOH before you can set gains in Monitor-world. This is a workflow change if you are used to analogue isolated splitters where each console has its own mic pres.