ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen and Heath GLD  (Read 25902 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Allen and Heath GLD
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »

GLD solutions here. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Allen and Heath GLD
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »

Allen&Heath GLD80 -> AR2412 stagebox

Works great using TMB ProPlex PCCAT5EP:
http://www.tmb.com/products/49-proplex-cat5e

This is shielded stranded Cat5e.

I'm running 100' and 200' lengths with Ethercon connectors.  This cable is officially supported by A&H:
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/SubLinkDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&SID=25

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »

GLD -> AR2412->AR8 and second line to AR84

Also use Dante for recording.

Bought two Allen and Heath 120 Meter cables but had nothing but errors with it. Sent one back and got a replacement and that didn't make any difference.  QOS errors in the log file, red light at the connector on the GLD. Error every 1-2 minutes got the QOS error. Used a DuraCat cable at 150 FEET - no problemS for the one event we used it at. I cut 120 feet off of the 120 meter A&H cables, redid the shielded Ethercon and NOW HAVE ZERO errors over 5 live events.

So, is the spec'd 120 meters wrong? 3 cables with errors, shorten two of them and they work perfect!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:15:27 PM by BobWitte »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »

GLD -> AR2412->AR8 and second line to AR84

Also use Dante for recording.

Bought two Allen and Heath 120 Meter cables but had nothing but errors with it. Sent one back and got a replacement and that didn't make any difference.  QOS errors in the log file, red light at the connector on the GLD. Error every 1-2 minutes got the QOS error. Used a DuraCat cable at 150 FEET - no problemS for the one event we used it at. I cut 120 feet off of the 120 meter A&H cables, redid the shielded Ethercon and NOW HAVE ZERO errors over 5 live events.

So, is the spec'd 120 meters wrong? 3 cables with errors, shorten two of them and they work perfect!

Did you happen to leave a large portion of it on the spool?  My understanding is that if you are not using a great length of the cable that unwinding a portion off of the spool will prevent errors.  YMMV.

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »

GLD112 -> AR2412 -> AR84

Using Neutrik Etherflex 100m cable: http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/data/etherflex/cable-assembly-air-spooled

Its another A&H approved cable, and is a custom order at any length you want. It can come on a reel, but we went for 'air spooled'

Console is used in live applications, and the cable has proved stable so far. We use another AR84 at the console which is connected with the included short Klotz patch cable.

As a bit of a suggestion - we have loomed an XLR loom onto the 100m line with Neutrik genderless XLRs at each end - comes in handy for intercom or various other connections that used to borrow spare snake lines.

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »

Did you happen to leave a large portion of it on the spool?  My understanding is that if you are not using a great length of the cable that unwinding a portion off of the spool will prevent errors.  YMMV.

I heard that too, but the engineer in me would really challenge that. Anyways, pulled almost all of the cable out - same problem. Shortened the cable (120 feet shorter) and left it all on the spool, NO problem. This is also a sample size of two as far as the fix goes, sample size of 3 spools as far as the errors go.

Everywhere that I read about the physics of Gigabit and cable length - 120 Meters is pushing the design (or by some standards, well beyond the design limits). My scenario validated the "theory" quite well. It is also hard for me to believe that the console or AR's are at fault since it was consistent across an AR2412 and two AR84's plus with just the shortened length, 0 errors.

Anyways, we are happy now and have run 6 large events with 0 errors.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

I heard that too, but the engineer in me would really challenge that. Anyways, pulled almost all of the cable out - same problem. Shortened the cable (120 feet shorter) and left it all on the spool, NO problem. This is also a sample size of two as far as the fix goes, sample size of 3 spools as far as the errors go.

Everywhere that I read about the physics of Gigabit and cable length - 120 Meters is pushing the design (or by some standards, well beyond the design limits). My scenario validated the "theory" quite well. It is also hard for me to believe that the console or AR's are at fault since it was consistent across an AR2412 and two AR84's plus with just the shortened length, 0 errors.

Anyways, we are happy now and have run 6 large events with 0 errors.

Good to hear its working for you now.  I didn't want to push the limits so I bought a 300' and a 150' from TMB.  I have been extremely apply with them and have never had an error.  Only once have I been at the end of be 300' piece.  I think it is the pretty much the longest length needed for my business.  I use the 150' piece a lot more often.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »

Allen&Heath GLD80 -> AR2412 stagebox

Works great using TMB ProPlex PCCAT5EP:
http://www.tmb.com/products/49-proplex-cat5e

This is shielded stranded Cat5e.

I'm running 100' and 200' lengths with Ethercon connectors.  This cable is officially supported by A&H:
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/SubLinkDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&SID=25

Running the same cable for our iLive system (IDR32 -R72) 100 meters lengths (328ft) with ethercon connectors, works perfectly.

Ray

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »

GLD solutions here.

Running 150' whirlwind cat5 ether snakes 2 are 6 +2 ethercon models and 1 is a12/4/2/150. I just ordered a 200'. I don't think they as shielded. I checked with guys on here to see if anyone had used them bore ordering even though they are not officially supported by A&H. We like them a lot.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

I've used both 100' ProPlex and 150' Duracat, both with Ethercons, between GLD and AR2412 for a few shows without any problems. 

Very little to no static electricity where I typically work.
Mark McFarlane

Mark Oakley

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »

Just a note: I'm using 250 ft. of TMB Proplex with my iLive T-112/IDR-48. Last weekend I had a gig at a large venue where my snake had to be run up to and across the ceiling and down to FOH. I ordered another 100ft. of Proplex and used a Neutrik Ethercon coupler NE8FF (http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/inline-adapters/ne8ff) to join them. Total length 350 ft. Worked perfectly without a single drop-out all night.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

new request  Band is running the SQ7 mixer and using ME-1 to mix the monitors and IEM.  They are working as post fader. 

anyone have the instructions on how to fix this and move from post fader to pre fader.   Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.