ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X32  (Read 47742 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Behringer X32
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »

And they won't work for GB Ethernet, which uses all 4 pairs, so no Dante. There are pretty specific conditions under which this works.

Mac

Of course, if you have Dante (which should, if I'm not mistaken, happily coexist on the same network run with a few OSC messages), you probably don't need the analogue audio at all. (I had considered going this route at one point instead of my franken-adapter, but small-format Dante nodes seem to be rare and cost-prohibitive.)

-Russ

Edit: this also dawned on me after I submitted the post: I'm 99% sure that Dante only requires 100 Mbit Ethernet.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »

Edit: this also dawned on me after I submitted the post: I'm 99% sure that Dante only requires 100 Mbit Ethernet.

A small node can run on 100Mb, but Audinate recommends not using any 100Mb infrastructure. You can get GB switches for $100, why run 100Mb and risk failure.

HERE is a showcase of Dante products.

Mac
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:59:24 PM by Mac Kerr »

David Buckley

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »

Yes, but Dante equipped small interface units are horrendously expensive.  When Dante brought out the Ultimo chip, I was hoping that their claim "The Dante Ultimo chip is a highly cost-effective but feature-rich Dante solution for low channel-count applications. It extends Dante networking to endpoint products such as powered speakers, amplifiers, wall plates and break-out boxes." would be true.  But even RDL, a company known for well priced products, their 2 channel interface is $450!!! 

Looks like the cheapest low channel count Dante interface is an X32R with the Dante card in it.

I'm hoping someone is going to figure out how to make a low cost Ethernet equipped thing, like a Raspberry Pi, or an IoT thing, connect to decent audio I/O, by which I mean balanced, not a headphone output.  Or even that Berry will make a Dante version of the ADA8200, or a 8 channel version of the SRC2496 with AES, MADI, and ADAT.  I can dream, right?

And 100MB/Sec is fine for a couple Dante channels.

Vic Curtis

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

And they won't work for GB Ethernet, which uses all 4 pairs, so no Dante. There are pretty specific conditions under which this works.

Mac
Good spot Mac - I started my networking days on 10Base2 and 10Base5 so hadn't absorbed the fact that GB Ethernet was using all 4 pairs. Luckily my intention will only be to use it on the control link from PC to X32Rack for which 100BaseT will be more than enough.
Scale of my gigs doesn't get anywhere near warranting the cost of Dante (nice though that might be!)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »

I'm hoping someone is going to figure out how to make a low cost Ethernet equipped thing, like a Raspberry Pi, or an IoT thing, connect to decent audio I/O, by which I mean balanced, not a headphone output.  Or even that Berry will make a Dante version of the ADA8200, or a 8 channel version of the SRC2496 with AES, MADI, and ADAT.  I can dream, right?

I have reasonably high hopes that AES67 will open the door for this sort of thing. There's nothing I'd love more than to be able to drop the analogue audio and replace it with some sort of software driver on the RPi (or a more powerful SoC) passing audio in and out through a 4x4 USB interface (or something along those lines).

Then again, if Audinate would just release a Linux-compatible virtual soundcard driver, that would do it too. Ah well.

-Russ

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

Behringer says 16 channels out and top 4, 13 to 16 are used by effects sends.  So is my logic correct when I use the X32 rack connected to S16 with aes50 that I only have 4 outputs on the S16.  1 to 4.   5 to 8 is using the effects. 

Is there something I missed in configuring the S16 and the patching?  I would like to get all 8 outputs working on the S16.  1 threw 8 are working fine on the Rack.  L/R out and 6 monitor sends.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

Behringer says 16 channels out and top 4, 13 to 16 are used by effects sends.  So is my logic correct when I use the X32 rack connected to S16 with aes50 that I only have 4 outputs on the S16.  1 to 4.   5 to 8 is using the effects. 

Is there something I missed in configuring the S16 and the patching?  I would like to get all 8 outputs working on the S16.  1 threw 8 are working fine on the Rack.  L/R out and 6 monitor sends.

You will be able to use all 8 outputs on the S16.    You will still use Sends 13-16 for the effects, but those are intenal busses that don't patch trough the S16.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »

You will be able to use all 8 outputs on the S16.    You will still use Sends 13-16 for the effects, but those are intenal busses that don't patch trough the S16.

Thanks will give another try after the weekend work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.