ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO drivers for windows 11?  (Read 264 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
ASIO drivers for windows 11?
« on: April 17, 2024, 04:17:06 PM »

I’m trying to get a relatively new Dell/Windows 11 laptop to work with dLive over Dante. My three uses are Smaart using the dLive as audio interface, playback from the laptop to the desk and, in due course, virtual soundcheck. (I had all three working in the past with a different laptop on Windows 10.)

To get Smaart to work I need to set Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to ASIO. The only way I appear to be able to get playback to work is to set DVS to WDM. This is OK but I would really like for everything to “just work” without making configuration changes in the field. I’m guessing that installing a third (fourth, fifth?) party ASIO driver might make this possible by allowing DVS always to be set to ASIO.

My searches for ASIO drivers for Windows 11 end in confusion. I get many hits for something called ASIO4all and many forum posts saying not to use it. (Their website is not confidence inspiring either.) I’ve looked at Microsoft, Audinate, Dell and even Realtek (yuck) for guidance and have found none. I welcome any suggestions, or perhaps the advice that I’m lucky that anything works at all and to suck it up :-\ Thank you.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: ASIO drivers for windows 11?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:30:19 AM »

I cannot say that ASIO4All will fix your problem, but I will say that using it has not been a problem for me, so far, but I'm not using Win11 in the field.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:24:12 PM »

{...} To get Smaart to work I need to set Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to ASIO. {...}

Out of curiosity, what issues are you having using Smaart with DVS in WDM mode?

-Russ

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:36 AM »

Out of curiosity, what issues are you having using Smaart with DVS in WDM mode?

I get the “Failed to start device.” dialog. Screenshot below. Also screenshots of the “Audio Device Options” dialog as it appears when DVS is set to WDM. (First pic is scrolled up, second is scrolled down.) I normally check the options I don’t want it to use but unchecked everything in this instance to give it free reign. When I plug in a USB device (Sound Devices USBPre2, which supplies its own ASIO driver) Smaart works normally.

The other odd behavior is that, unlike previous installations of Smaart, this instance takes >1 min of looking at the splash screen before it’s up and running.

I can live with switching between ASIO and WDM on DVS but I really hate how brittle the whole Windows handling of audio streams is and that it never seems to get any better. I know many say the answer is use a Mac but that, of course, comes with its own problems and there’s the devil I know…  Thanks guys.

PS: Smaart version 7.5.2.1

--Frank

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:51:06 AM »

NEVER MIND! I got Smaart working with WDM. All I had to do was set Measurement Config to the correct device (Wave: DVS receive…) and everything works. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time  :-[

--Frank

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:12:29 PM »

{...} The other odd behavior is that, unlike previous installations of Smaart, this instance takes >1 min of looking at the splash screen before it’s up and running. {...}

IIRC, during its splash screen Smaart tries to talk to any audio device that the system has drivers for (just to check if they're working), so the more audio drivers you have installed on your computer the longer Smaart will take to start (or something like that).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:12:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.