ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone in Atlanta have a Labhorn I could test drive?  (Read 11377 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Anyone in Atlanta have a Labhorn I could test drive?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »

As far as what we will be using this for, the space is about 8,000 sq ft with 16ft cieling. The room is about 40' x 100', but we don't expect to push past about 50' past the stage given the amount of bodies between the there and back of the room. It's never filled to capacity anyways .

Huh?
Help me out here, I know I'm more used to those newfangled metres we use here in Europland than Ye Olde Feete but I'm pretty sure the arithmetic is still the same - if your room is 40x100 (of anything) then its area is 4000 sq(anythings), so where's the other half of your 8000 sq whatsits coming from?
Do you need to cover that area too?

Cheers,
David.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »

Judging by the candor of some of these responses it seems the person I was talking to was blowing smoke, or, at the very least working on false/skewed information. I'm all ears here, folks. This is virgin territory for me so whatever you guys have to offer I'm more than willing to hear.

Oh snap I slept on this one lol .

Hah, it does make sense in that regard, at least. ;D

Sorry for the confusion, David. I did some sleuth work and found out that the dimensions of the room on the event space's website were incorrect (well, technically they were correct, but they had the TOTAL meeting space listed instead of the individual room's space, thus the 10,000 sq ft figure). The actual dimensions are 65' x 100' (20m x 30m) giving a 6500 sq ft (600 sq m) area. The ceilings were still 16', so at least that figure was correct.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »

so you're dedicated to going the DIY route?  Do you know what your power situation is going to be (both from the actual venue, and in forms of power amps)? 

The Lab Sub does sound great.  some of the best sounding shows I've been to have deployed them (all electronic music mind you), vs offerings from PK sound (subs were fine,  but the balance of the system was trashed every time), D&B (not enough rig for the gig was the only fault) NEXO, etc, esp eaw/jbl lol. 

That being said, there are plenty of other DIY designs out there, and if you have sufficient budget you can build a GREAT dual 18 for 1/3 the price of what its gonna run you normally, or spend a month or 2 learning horn resp and design your own FLH or Tapped horn if thats what your into. 

Taylor Hall

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »

Right now the DIY route seems to be the most cost-effective for us as we don't have quite enough money tucked away to comfortably drop on decent used gear. Being a convention 95% of our income comes all at once over the course of one week during the year so we have to be very careful about how we spend it the rest of the year until we get that big deposit again. Plus, it's easier to sneak little purchases (a driver here, a couple sheets of wood there) past our money holder than one large purchase. What we do posses is a large amount of free time between now and then and a budget fully capable of handling a pair of these cabs and a suitable amp to power them.

We use all our own equipment, we actually upset the in-house tech provider quite a bit when they were told that our 1000+ person event needed absolutely no tech. We're in a bit of a unique position as we don't have to rely on any outside rental company to work our panel rooms, viewing rooms and main events space. Supplied power worked well for us this past year, we had a large drop with several 20A circuits that we were able to section our amps into. Wasn't ideal, but it got the job done fine and we didn't trip anything throughout the night. We're currently running Behringer EP4000s (which has effectively turned our rack into its own gravity well) which will be phased out as funding becomes available to get some lighter gear. For now they're running like champs and have served us well through several shows.

Oh man, don't get me started on hornresp. I've tried using it but there are so many variables that I just don't know how to calculate or have the foggiest what they even mean. I've looked at a couple guides that have been posted on various forums, but they read as if they're more aimed towards those who are already familiar with cabinet design and the parameters associated with it. That being said, I'm trying my best to wrap my head around it and would love to try my hand at my own custom box one day (even if it's complete crap ::) ).
1) Do it right

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

If dual 18s are your goal, the EP4000 is likely to be underpowered (and I probably would not trust it bridged into 4 ohms for long).  They'll hobble by for labhorns at least though.   

The amps you already have are heavy,  try searching for heavy, used alternatives with better rep.  You wont find them for as cheap as the ep4k, but they will be cheaper than going out and buying new itechs etc.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »

They actually run in 4ohm stereo rather well. But yes, bridging the amp is really out of the question for what we're looking to do. I'd sooner run at less than ideal power for a bit while better amps can be sourced than risk blowing an amp (and potentially other components).

That's more or less the plan. We'll likely do them one at a time. Those Crest amps in the marketplace were quite tempting, and at a good price, to boot. If they're still hanging around by the time we get these built we might grab one or two depending on how our budget looks.

I'm also in talks with several machine shops in the area with CNC routing capabilities. If the price is decent it will save us a buttload of time getting them built and add an extra layer of precision that we couldn't get from a table saw and hand router. We shall see.
1) Do it right

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »

i dont doubt they do 4 ohm stereo nicely.  but they only do about 1k (or more like 750) into 4 ohms.   I suppose if you could source 4 ohm drivers, you can make it work, 1 channel per driver (so one amp per box) for a dual 18.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

Yeah, that's an option but not one I would really consider except for a last resort since it would suck up too many amp channels. We're going to be upgrading amps from here on out so as we get new boxes we'll also get new amps that will better handle the increased output demands.
1) Do it right

Taylor Hall

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 11:26:41 PM »

So an interesting development has cropped up. I've managed to find a local selling 4 LABs already assembled using the Eminence drivers. Problem is, he doesn't have an asking price and he wants me to give him an opening offer. He seems to be flexible on the price judging from the email I received, but I'm not really sure what one of these would be worth outside of the value of the parts and materials alone. I don't want to lowball him, but at the same time I don't want to offer way too much and screw myself over. Any ideas?
1) Do it right

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »

From a business stand point, I'd not invest any money in gear that only goes out once a year.  Excess capacity is infinitely expensive.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.