ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the smallest (overall size) speakers you'd consider "good enough"?  (Read 9787 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Doug, I thought you were gonna jump in with something about the i series.   I still can't believe the great sound of those tiny boxes and the low price point.

The dome tweet more or less precludes using them for reinforcement.  Plus no pole cup, etc. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website

The dome tweet more or less precludes using them for reinforcement.  Plus no pole cup, etc.

Why does the dome tweeter preclude SR use? (Asked out of ignorance)
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA

It seems two things other than the obvious (spl and audio quality) that would be important, are dispersion angles for fill purposes and mixer section features.

The dxr and k series have excellent mixer sections. IIRC the dxr are all 90 degrees while the K gets wider as woofer gets smaller.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:43:46 AM by Brian Jones »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Why does the dome tweeter preclude SR use? (Asked out of ignorance)

It won't get loud enough for most applications.  They do sound nice, though. 
It's got electrolytes. 

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND

It won't get loud enough for most applications.  They do sound nice, though.
I've been using Community CPL-23 boxes for years for fills, corporate and distributed (party, fashion-show type)  It gets plenty loud enough and it was only recently that I took one apart to find it had just a dome tweeter!
It still projects vocals fairly well, however I've re-evaluated how hard I ever want to push them though.
(It is an install box but comes stock with a U-bracket and I had the speak-on connector added)
For primary PA I once used 16 of them along a truss over a catwalk for a celebrity fashion show because the client didn't want to see PA boxes and the tent we were using couldn't handle our normal boxes.  Normally though they are always augmenting a "real" PA
Another dome-tweeter box I was always happy with was the Ramsa 80.  Would probably be using them instead of the CPL's if they still made them.
For a more robust small box I like the coax 8" Radian driver either in their box or in my custom-built ones
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

I've been using Community CPL-23 boxes for years for fills, corporate and distributed (party, fashion-show type)  It gets plenty loud enough and it was only recently that I took one apart to find it had just a dome tweeter!
It still projects vocals fairly well, however I've re-evaluated how hard I ever want to push them though.
(It is an install box but comes stock with a U-bracket and I had the speak-on connector added)
For primary PA I once used 16 of them along a truss over a catwalk for a celebrity fashion show because the client didn't want to see PA boxes and the tent we were using couldn't handle our normal boxes.  Normally though they are always augmenting a "real" PA
Another dome-tweeter box I was always happy with was the Ramsa 80.  Would probably be using them instead of the CPL's if they still made them.
For a more robust small box I like the coax 8" Radian driver either in their box or in my custom-built ones

Yeah, the Ramsa boxes, I forgot about them. Anyway, the VUE install boxes James alluded would be just fine on a truss for distributed work.  Main PA, not so much.  Logic Systems here in STL has a recurring corporate gig, using VUE i6-A (powered) clamped to uprights for a distributed system. 
It's got electrolytes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.