ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with a slow moving production that opens too soon  (Read 2551 times)

Mike Reigh

I'm working a musical theater production this week and they (we?) are really behind.  Normally by this time, I've had three full runs of the show and I have my script marked up with the pertinent cues.  However, the director has been lagging and we finally got through the first act.  We open Friday, and I'm pretty nervous that my performance is going to suffer simply since I haven't had enough seat time.  I'll probably ask for help from someone that has been there to sit through the shows, is there anything else I should do?

John Fruits

Re: What to do with a slow moving production that opens too soon
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

Without knowing what position you are working it is rather hard to answer.  It sounds like you need an all-nighter with all the dept. heads. SM,ASM,TD, LX and SX.  To be honest, one week out without a full run through is time to panic.  Good luck.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »

I'm working a musical theater production this week and they (we?) are really behind.  Normally by this time, I've had three full runs of the show and I have my script marked up with the pertinent cues.  However, the director has been lagging and we finally got through the first act.  We open Friday, and I'm pretty nervous that my performance is going to suffer simply since I haven't had enough seat time.  I'll probably ask for help from someone that has been there to sit through the shows, is there anything else I should do?

Can you get someone to call cues off of the script so you don't have your head buried in it?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »

Can you get someone to call cues off of the script so you don't have your head buried in it?

Same exact situation this spring. Never got a run through until the final dress rehearsal. Show was Les Mis...I had a student calling cues and scene changes in my ear. This director usually does shows with no audio production for vocals, and didn't comprehend that I needed to run the show to learn the show.

Mike Reigh

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »

We finally got a full run last night and I think the Expression is going to save my ass being able to store my cues.  I do have someone very intimate with the show helping me with cues as well; the show opens tomorrow, so there will be another full run-through tonight, so I'm hoping for the best.

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »

We finally got a full run last night and I think the Expression is going to save my ass being able to store my cues.  I do have someone very intimate with the show helping me with cues as well; the show opens tomorrow, so there will be another full run-through tonight, so I'm hoping for the best.

Same thing happens to me quite often at a local community theatre. Just got done with the first night I was able to run full audio. It was opening night.   ::) Granted it was avenue Q so we only had 9 microphones, and 2 4 FX cues for the whole show.

Pretty easy to run and gun, and then make up a few cues on the 01V
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:40 AM »

One full run through is all I get most of the time (two if I am REALLY lucky) but I do attend early production meetings and turn up to 2-3 rehearsals (no sound) to get a feel for the show and mark cues.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

How has running snapshots on the expression been going?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.