ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix and Matched speakers for large gig  (Read 5686 times)

sam saponaro

Mix and Matched speakers for large gig
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »

In about three weeks my band has a large gig to play.There will be approx 2500 people total,but not all infront of the band like a concert.It is in like a recessed center court at a large camp area.It is mostly surrounded by buildings with an area in back of the band with pools and watersildes for kids.The stage is centered but angled off to the side so there is approx 50% in front of you and 35% off to the side of stage left and the rest of the people(kids in the pool area),which is not so important to cover.
To start I DO NOT have enough PA for this.But getting the band to rent is like pulling teeth and otherwise would have to come out of my own pocket so I gotta get it done myself.
Luckily the surrounding buildings do reflect and contain the sound which helps but its still allot to cover with the small PA.
Since setting my system tri-amped I run in clubs 1X EAW 15+horn per side and 1X TL505 18" sub per side in small clubs 2x TL505 a side in med clubs.
Crown CE1000 per side on top(CH1 mid/bass CH2 Horns) and Crown CE2000 per side on subs(bridge).
Well unfortunatly one pair of my old EV subs is blown up at the moment(so till I can either recone or upgrade)I have loaded the second set with some Carvin 18s I had which are not tuned so nicely with this box.I also have a set of OLD Yamaha 3115 cabs that have the woofers replaced with JBL E130/2225 hybrids.
Being a mix and match how should I set this scabby setup up??
My thought was to
A)Set the EAW and Tuned bottoms on stage right pointed out front and place the soundman on that side 50-60ft back and set the crossover for those drivers.And the other Yamaha cabs and untuned bottoms on stage left angled sideway-ish toward the people off to the side.
B)Set the EAWs and Tuned bottoms one stack on each side angled inward toward center with the soundman center 50-60ft back and a stack of Yamaha/untuned bottom each side but angled severly outward just for extra coverage.
But how would I set the crossover?
We did this last year with one top and two bottoms a side(bi-amped system subs/tops) and I left with a blown horn and 1 dead sub and had a pretty big lack of coverage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:54:17 AM by sam saponaro »

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Mix and Matched speakers for large gig
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »

But how would I set the crossover?

This isn't ideal obviously but it sounds like you're gonna be making do with what you have which is more than you had last time so hopefully it'll work out better. The big things are to make sure each stack has it's own unique processing taylored to whatever it takes to prevent it from blowing up mid gig. Crossover between subs and mains is the easy part and won't be ay different then what you use elsewhere, but you will probably need a different lowcut for each of the different subs and limiters to try to keep power levels to the drivers within long term ratings

sam saponaro

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »

As far as the horns I know the EAWs have N482 1 3/4" Coil 90W drivers that can go fairly low for horns(EAW crosses them 900Hz in the FRs) ,but the Yamahas have 1 1/2"coil 40W drivers that I have no clue about. I have no idea what the cutoff is.
Thing is I only have one good crossover Dbx 223XL and an OLD Furman 12Db slope crossover with no phase swapping,that I keep for spare.So one side would have a 24Db slope the other 12Db.
As far as power handling my normal speakers actually take less wattage than the oddball sets I'll be putting which is why I figured put the soundman on that side.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:01:08 PM by sam saponaro »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »

Sam do yourself a favor and go get a Behringer DCX2496.. this is an incredibly effective piece of equipment that will put you well ahead of where you are now.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »

Sam, with the situation you describe I think it may be best simply forget about trying to cover 1,000+ people and simply cover the dance floor same as any other gig.

When combining mismatched systems what really works quite well is a dual PA.  Put the vocals in the smaller one and the instruments in the larger one w/subs.

Focus both systems on the dance floor area and let the rest of what happens happen.

I have an upcoming show where my client told me: "it will be easy do do with your smaller rig, why we did it last year with ours bar rig and only blew up one speaker!"

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »

Sam, with the situation you describe I think it may be best simply forget about trying to cover 1,000+ people and simply cover the dance floor same as any other gig.

When combining mismatched systems what really works quite well is a dual PA.  Put the vocals in the smaller one and the instruments in the larger one w/subs.

Focus both systems on the dance floor area and let the rest of what happens happen.

I have an upcoming show where my client told me: "it will be easy do do with your smaller rig, why we did it last year with ours bar rig and only blew up one speaker!"

This!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

sam saponaro

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »

Tim you are right. But I know when running sound at the same place,I got bombarded by hords of people complaining they couldn't hear the band(that was with the bands Powered Mackie setup pushed as far as I could without blowing something)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »

Tim you are right. But I know when running sound at the same place,I got bombarded by hords of people complaining they couldn't hear the band(that was with the bands Powered Mackie setup pushed as far as I could without blowing something)

Smile and direct them to the front of the listening area.  Without about 4x the output you have now, you'll never get rid of the complaints.  They're probably not really listening, but yacking with their friends.  People who are running their mouths aren't usually using their ears.

By the way:  how high are you elevating your tops???
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

This is why I became a hobbyist. I now buy pretty much whatever I want (within reason).

My next gig is for 4,500 runners. If anyone cant hear, they won't have time to complain:)

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »

There are a couple options with the gear you have:

1) Dual PA, already discussed, one possibly for vocals only, other PA for whatever remains.  Avoids the comb filtering problem from the same source coming from two different cabinets close to each other.

2) Delays. Put the Yamaha's 'out in the crowd' and time delay them so they fire at the same time as the sound is arriving from the stage.  You'll need the right hardware to do ~100ms delay for a, e.g.,  stack 100' away from the stage. And ideally a way to measure the delays for fine tuning.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.