ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix and Matched speakers for large gig  (Read 5681 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Mix and Matched speakers for large gig
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »

Let's see if I can summarize what you have:

• 2 EAW full range boxes of some kind that you normally run bi-amped
  • 2 Yamaha S3115H boxes with replacement JBL woofers
  • 2 TL505 subs
  • 2 TL505 subs with replacement Carvin drivers
  • 2 CE 1000 amps, normally used one per channel for the bi-amped EAWs
  • 2 CE 2000 amps, normally used one per side in bridge mode for the subs
  • Some undefined crossover or processor
  • I assume some undefined mixer
Is that an accurate summary?

Do you have to run the EAWs bi-amped or could you run both off bi-amped but off one amp?  What is your mixer and system processing and what EQ and other processing might they provide?

You did not mention anything about the pattern of the boxes involved.  If your concern is coverage then that is probably going to be a crticial consideration.  If nothing else, it makes it difficult to offer recommendations without knowing the speaker patterns involved.  Also consider that your subs may be greatly omnidirectional.

Are you thinking of running mono or trying to be stereo everywhere or perhaps some mix of stereo for some coverage areas and mono for others?

Dick hit it on the head with what may be realistic and if you don't have what is necessary to make it work acceptably in general then you may want to focus on making it the best you can for a more limited area.

sam saponaro

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »

My chain goes
1990s EV BK1642 Mixer->Ashly GQ131 EQ->DBX 223XL
DBX223XL Hi out->CH2 on each CE1000 to the EAWs horns Mid out-> to each CE1000 CH1 to EAW midbass woofer and Low out to each CE2000 each bridged and running X2 TL505 each.
Only other processors I have are Comps,Noise Gate and Vocal FX unit.
This a very basic all analog "club band" system.
I run the system mono and tri-amped(hi,mid,bass).The Yamahas are Bi-amp also.
I planned on setting the tops up high enough so the midbass woofer is about shoulder level to me(6ft tall)for this job.
I do not know the exact patterns of the boxes but they are all direct radiator,vented  reflex boxes(not horn loaded). The EAWs have 100/40 degree horns,Yamahas are some kind of 90 degree horn.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:04:57 PM by sam saponaro »

sam saponaro

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »

I got thinkin on the duel PA thing.
Would it work well to say put my whole normal club system(1 top 2 bottoms side) run off the left sub mix out,panning all the instruments and drums hard left. Then Pan Vocals hard right running right sub out to a seperate EQ(HPF set approx 100Hz)into a seperate amp and run the Yamaha's just as a vocals PA off the right side of my board?
The Yamaha's are bi-amp but I could re-connect the internal x-overs for fullrange in this setup if need be.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

I got thinkin on the duel PA thing.
Would it work well to say put my whole normal club system(1 top 2 bottoms side) run off the left sub mix out,panning all the instruments and drums hard left. Then Pan Vocals hard right running right sub out to a seperate EQ(HPF set approx 100Hz)into a seperate amp and run the Yamaha's just as a vocals PA off the right side of my board?
The Yamaha's are bi-amp but I could re-connect the internal x-overs for fullrange in this setup if need be.

It should work. If it somehow become a problem you can always pan back. Use either or both for vocals and accept whatever comb effect occurs. Happened to me on a metal gig.. my VOX PA simply wasn't up to it.
My solution: get more rig and decline most metal gigs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.