ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Edison to PowerCon procedure - JBL VP Monitors  (Read 7909 times)

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Edison to PowerCon procedure - JBL VP Monitors
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

Anyone else have experience with VP series wedges care to chime in about the seemingly multiple versions of the input panel / noise floor?

The VP series doesn't have the ability to use the optional input panels. The wedge has one version (with the 'dual wedge tuning' button) and the rest of the series has the other (with an 80Hz high-pass button).

I think that any noise floor issue may come from the fact that the level control on it is actually a sensitivity control. Fully counter-clockwise is +4 DBu nominal (+20dBu clip), Fully clockwise is -10dBv nominal (+4dBu clip).
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

The VP series doesn't have the ability to use the optional input panels. The wedge has one version (with the 'dual wedge tuning' button) and the rest of the series has the other (with an 80Hz high-pass button).

I think that any noise floor issue may come from the fact that the level control on it is actually a sensitivity control. Fully counter-clockwise is +4 DBu nominal (+20dBu clip), Fully clockwise is -10dBv nominal (+4dBu clip).

Ok these have the dual tuning switch and the sensitivity. I'll turn it down for use with the LS9, I'm sure that'll do it and make my gain structure a little better. Thanks all. After some more gigs I'll give em a full review.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »

" Under load " specifically refers to drawing current sufficient to arc at the connector on disconnect - ie not while they are being screaming loud.  Quiescent current is fine for disconnect.

... I understand PowerCon isn't supposed to be connected or disconnected under load, and I've flipped distro breakers in full PowerCon rigs for that before. Do I understand 'under load' correctly to mean while powered in any way? Does disconnecting the Edison ends on these count?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

" Under load " specifically refers to drawing current sufficient to arc at the connector on disconnect - ie not while they are being screaming loud.  Quiescent current is fine for disconnect.

Ahhh thank you, NOW I follow!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

So it should be safe, with the Edison side connected,  to power down an active amp, then disconnect at the powercon?  Similarly connect powercon before turning on the amp?

I've been operating this way without any problems...
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.