ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub or Woofer  (Read 12756 times)

Canute J. Chiverton

Re: Sub or Woofer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

Maybe if I use different word it will be clearer. Starting from the high end of a multiway system; Highs, Mids, Bass, SUB Bass.

As Ryan said, they're just names. If the low end of your 3 way system goes below 40Hz, you may not need subs, so why worry?

Mac
I understand and that is what I have been thinking.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »

Maybe if I use different word it will be clearer. Starting from the high end of a multiway system; Highs, Mids, Bass, SUB Bass.
Or for the related drivers tweeter, squawker, woofer and subwoofer, respectively.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »

Ok Thanks for all the input. I have two pairs of JBL Scoops (Old Vintage) that I run as Bass and that is what I have always called them, Bass cabinets not subs. Their transducers are capable of going down into Sub Range. I sometimes run a two way system or three way system but none of the other cabinets have woofers in them just Tweeter Cabinet, Midrange Cabinet and the Scoops. Again thanks for the insight.
What do you consider "the sub range"?  Sub what?  As in below what?

Back in the days of the scoops (yes I used to run singles and doubles), there were bass mid and high cabinets.

Nothing went that low-as most music of the time did not go that low either.

If you REALLY want to be accurate-you need to discuss FREQUENCY-not the "name" of a device.

And in the end-what does it matter?  It is just an opinion and different people are going to refer to it differently-so unless you have more information (such as the ACTUAL FREQ REsPOnSE AS IT RELATES TO THE SENSITIVITY!!!!!), it is a meaningless conversation with all the answers being right and wrong at the same time-just the perspective changing.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

What do you consider "the sub range"?  Sub what?  As in below what?

Back in the days of the scoops (yes I used to run singles and doubles), there were bass mid and high cabinets.

Nothing went that low-as most music of the time did not go that low either.

If you REALLY want to be accurate-you need to discuss FREQUENCY-not the "name" of a device.

And in the end-what does it matter?  It is just an opinion and different people are going to refer to it differently-so unless you have more information (such as the ACTUAL FREQ REsPOnSE AS IT RELATES TO THE SENSITIVITY!!!!!), it is a meaningless conversation with all the answers being right and wrong at the same time-just the perspective changing.
I have a Pair of the JBL 2205 J (16ohms) and a Pair of the JBL 2225 J (16ohms) all in single Scoops. Depending on what I am using as tops and the configuration, two or three way I use Crossover points of 100hz to 200hz.  When running them as two pairs I run them in Parallel.  When running them as a Pair, I either Sum them and run an amp in bridged mode or just run them in stereo pair.  I call the Scoops Bass speakers not Subs.

Here are the specs for the 2205 J http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2205hj.pdf

Here are the specs for the 2225 J
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2225hj.pdf

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »

I have a Pair of the JBL 2205 J (16ohms) and a Pair of the JBL 2225 J (16ohms) all in single Scoops.  I call the Scoops Bass speakers not Subs.
Hi Canute,

Considering your bass speakers roll off (and unload) at 55 Hz, you may want to consider adding subwoofers for the octave below that contained in post vinyl pop music ;^).

Art
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:18:00 PM by Art Welter »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »

IMHO, if it's down more than 3dB at 30Hz with respect to 100Hz, with more than double the distortion of 100Hz, it's not a subwoofer.  There aren't many subwoofers, and none that can be afforded by real people ;-(

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »

If it is in a separate cabinet, it is a sub woofer. If you have a horn and a speaker below then it is a woofer.

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »

If it is in a separate cabinet, it is a sub woofer. If you have a horn and a speaker below then it is a woofer.

Oh, sorry, I see Mac already issued a warning about the name policy and you chose to ignore it.

You get a 30 day timeout.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.