ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mains or Monitors first?  (Read 10808 times)

duane massey

Re: Mains or Monitors first?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Depends upon the experience level of the band. Some less-experienced bands get freaked out if they don't hear themselves right away, some are perfectly content to let you do your job as you see fit. As a performer I trust the sound guy, until he proves to be untrustworthy....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Lev Raber

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

First, you have to trust the system you're using, just make sure all components are working as they should.
Now, here is my routine:
1. General MON and FOH line check with playback music
2. General MON and then FOH level and EQ check with a good wireless mic
3. Fine EQing on all MON mixes, in my experience if the wedges are the same everywhere I just copy EQ settings from the Mix1 to all others, I make final adjustments later on each mon mix to each musician taste. 
4. Fine EQing on FOH
5. I ask musicians to play and sing with only MONs on to get a good balance on stage, I dismiss in general all complains about lack of LF before FOH is on
6. FOH on, final balace of the band in FOH and MONs
7. FXs on, final balance of FXs between MON and FOH

Againg, this is what I do when mixing MON from FOH. In my line of work it's sometimes FOH from MON, because I often forced to mix from the side of the stage. Sometimes I even don't have a luxury of a good sound check, because of the time restrains or other limitations.
That's why, as I said before, it's very important you have a trust in your equipment, your headphones and every time try to follow your routine, even if it differs from mine. When musicians see how confident you are, no matter if they're good or bad, you will still achieve better results in shorter time frame, which in my business is a must.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:17:49 AM by Lev Raber »

Evan Hunter

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »

My deal has always been vocal FOH, stage mix, monitors in that order. Simply put, if you set up in that order you can guarantee nothing else will come above the vocals.

I can definitely agree with this. You can also communicate with the artists easier if their vocals are up and running faster, even if there is also monitor engineer.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

James A. Griffin

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »

I would like some feedback

NOT a good way to begin a discussion in our world    8),.. but I digress

Mains first because some of that will be heard from the stage, thus affecting what is required in monitors.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Dave Neale

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:52 AM »

if I'm driving from FOH, I'll dial up a stupid quick mix. Vocals all up and roughed for the house, with each vocal up in its corresponding wedge onstage, a bit of the other vocals blended around each box.Kick drum in the drum box and the house.

Sometimes they don't even ask for anything else. 

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »

I tend to set gain with one hand and push the fader up to close to zero with the other hand to get some FOH sound happening

If it’s a vocal mic or DI only instrument with no stage amp, then I set the monitor to what I feel is a decent level. I tweak the EQ if it’s ringing or sounding bad, then get the singer/musician to stop and I ask ‘Is there enough in your wedge? Who else needs some of that?’ Often it’s OK just like that.

I find it’s been working well. If I soundcheck with the FOH off, people always say, ‘That’s enough monitor’ until halfway through the first song, when they are screaming for more because they can’t hear themselves. I have been soundchecking pretty loud recently, I figure when it’s loud, that’s when the feedback starts and nasty treble will rip your head off. Soundchecks with fairly loud FOH help me find and fix those things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.