ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start- need advice  (Read 3810 times)

Brian Rodgers

Where to start- need advice
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

I am very new to this. I am a high school student that loves live sound and currently run mix for my church's youth group and know our Studiolive 24.4.2 front and back but don't have experience with larger mixers. I would love to do this for a job or career when I am older but don't know where to start? I am looking for advice on how to learn more about this field and how I can get hired when I am older. Any advice would be appreciated.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Where to start- need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »

I am very new to this. I am a high school student that loves live sound and currently run mix for my church's youth group and know our Studiolive 24.4.2 front and back but don't have experience with larger mixers. I would love to do this for a job or career when I am older but don't know where to start? I am looking for advice on how to learn more about this field and how I can get hired when I am older. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to your local audio company and ask if you can sweep the floors and make the coffee.  Explain your interest and desire to work in audio and yo will be pushing cases before you know it.  After you have mastered case pushing, ask if you can work on some of the shows as a patch guy or stage hand.  Before you know it you'll be mixing the puppet show at the local street fair.  Then just work your way up the ladder.  35 years from now you'll be spilling coffee on your keyboard when you read some funny comments on these forums.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »

What Ryan said. If you're in the Boston area I'll give you all the free time behind the board you can handle as long as you're willing to help load in and out, and as long as you're willing to listen and learn.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »

Get a copy of Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. Read it cover to cover.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

And then read it a few more times.  90% of getting into this business is attitude.  Be willing and eager to do anything at any time.  Be pleasant and helpful at all times.  I would also recommend playing with the gear outside of a show environment.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »

Hi Brian, and welcome to the PSW forums.

I'd suggest using the SEARCH function (upper right corner of the screen).  You're not the first "new guy" to come here and ask the "how do I get started" question.

The answers haven't changed, for the most part.  Use the search and you'll have hours (I'm not kidding) of reading pleasure.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Eric Simna

• A440 Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »

Use the search and you'll have hours (I'm not kidding) of reading pleasure.

That's the best way to scare people away, too.  "But I want it now! I don't want to work for it!" 

I spent WAY too much time on here,
Eric

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

one of the best books I've ever read.

If you get lost in the decibel section, revisit it later.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »

And then read it again

Peter Tran

• peterletran
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

Welcome to the forums.

I'm in the same boat as you. I started in the church and loved doing the sound. I was also their drummer for the longest time.
10 years later, I still have the same deep passion for Pro Audio, Sound Reinforcement and mixing.
You're lucky, though. You got to work with the StudioLive, which is a digital console.
I've spent the majority of my life dealing with analog consoles. A lot of the larger consoles are similar to the StudioLive in my opinion.
They just have more channels, more busses, auxes and options. If you can use a StudioLive, I'm confident you can use a larger console.
Each console manufacturer lays out their equipment a little differently, so you'll have to read ALOT, and watch tutorials online. Go to seminars, too.

Like these guys said. Your best bet would be to look up "Production" and "A/V" companies locally.
Start out as a broom pusher, trash collector, glass cleaner, whatever ...
You have to learn about all aspects of a Pro Audio system. Depending on the size of the church, their systems could be very simplistic/basic.
If you're serious about Live Sound Reinforcement, there are tons of equipment that you'll need to acquaint yourself with.
I've only just started formally in the industry.
Already, I've run into AMP RACKS 4 feet tall that are connected to power distribution centers hooked up to 3 phase electrical systems.
If you are capable of setting up an entire system, you could probably sub-contract with an a/v technical laboring company. That's what I did.
Basically, I just push boxes, setup what I can, and at the end of the gig, tear it all down, pack it up, and load it on a truck.
I'm sure an Engineering Degree won't hurt, neither. Be cool ... stay in school ... which I did ...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.