ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need plans for dual 18" manifold sub  (Read 10963 times)

BillyMorris

Need plans for dual 18" manifold sub
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »

Hey everyone, I play and carry sound for an established 80's cover band in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm looking for plans or advice on subs I plan to build. I really like the EV manifold style utilizing 2- 18s.
Also would like them a bit taller to be able to get my top speakers high enough. I don't want to use poles. Thinking of loading them with Eminence Kilomax 18's. This is my initial idea but am open to any advice or suggestions. Thanks,

Billy Morris
Breakfast Club

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Need plans for dual 18" manifold sub
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »

Hey everyone, I play and carry sound for an established 80's cover band in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm looking for plans or advice on subs I plan to build. I really like the EV manifold style utilizing 2- 18s.
Also would like them a bit taller to be able to get my top speakers high enough. I don't want to use poles. Thinking of loading them with Eminence Kilomax 18's. This is my initial idea but am open to any advice or suggestions. Thanks,

Billy Morris
Breakfast Club

There are tons of sub plans out there.   Both RCF and B&C offer plans for their cone drivers. 

http://www.rcf.it/precision-transducers/suggested-design/bill-woods-designs

for example. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but you are going about this all wrong. Kilomax's in a MT2 cab would be awful.

You need to figure out what kind of performance YOU NEED out of the sub system. Then you pick a cabinet design that fits your criteria (stack height being one criteria). Then you put the driver in that the design calls for.

Picking the cab and driver out of a hat is a sure fire way to get piss poor performance.

BTW, I run across more nasty sounding cabs with Kilomax's in them than anything else. It seems that people see that big heat sink and think "golly gee that'll drop some panties!"

Kilomax's are great, but only in well designed, LARGE cabinets....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

BillyMorris

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but you are going about this all wrong. Kilomax's in a MT2 cab would be awful.

You need to figure out what kind of performance YOU NEED out of the sub system. Then you pick a cabinet design that fits your criteria (stack height being one criteria). Then you put the driver in that the design calls for.

Picking the cab and driver out of a hat is a sure fire way to get piss poor performance.

BTW, I run across more nasty sounding cabs with Kilomax's in them than anything else. It seems that people see that big heat sink and think "golly gee that'll drop some panties!"

Kilomax's are great, but only in well designed, LARGE cabinets

Thanks Tim, I'd rather hear the truth so I don't waste time and money. So what's a good speaker for that cab? Am I better off just buying the EV cabs then trying o build them?
Thanks,
Billy

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »

I really like the EV manifold style utilizing 2- 18s.

Why.. because of the look? The facts are these things are almost not even subs by todays standards with an F3 up around 50hz, most reflex designs will beat that by 10 to 20hz and with modern drivers like the Eminence Definimax or B&C TBX you'll have more output below 100hz than the original EV MTL1x.

But if you want to build something different have a look at this design.. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190635-th-18-flat-35hz-xoc1s-design.html

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »

Kilomax's are great, but only in well designed, LARGE cabinets....
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is amazing to me how many people want to use a certain product-but they have not defined exactly what it is they want the final performance to do.  THEN you look at what tools it takes to do it.

You don't go and buy a set of tires-then look for a car that will fit them (although I seen it done-------).

I often wonder why people will choose a particular product (loudspeaker drivers seem to be real popular in this regard) and then try to "shoe horn" them into a use they are not intended for-and then somehow not happy with the results-DUH!
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

BillyMorris

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is amazing to me how many people want to use a certain product-but they have not defined exactly what it is they want the final performance to do.  THEN you look at what tools it takes to do it.

You don't go and buy a set of tires-then look for a car that will fit them (although I seen it done-------).

I often wonder why people will choose a particular product (loudspeaker drivers seem to be real popular in this regard) and then try to "shoe horn" them into a use they are not intended for-and then somehow not happy with the results-DUH!

Ok I'm getting what your saying. So I guess I'm no speaker designer. Just gonna buy some already made. Thanks for everyone's time and info.

Billy

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »

Ok I'm getting what your saying. So I guess I'm no speaker designer. Just gonna buy some already made. Thanks for everyone's time and info.

Billy

For your own use building your own may be fine, and it may be fun to do. What is not a good idea however is picking an arbitrary woofer, and an arbitrary cabinet. For a given driver there are good cabinet designs, and for a given cabinet design there are good drivers.

When you know what your performance needs are you can ask about what types of subs will work for you, then you can pick a cabinet design, and the right speaker to put in it.

Mac

sam saponaro

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »

I think the MTL cabs used either EVM 18B or DL18MT speakers.From what I know of my 18Bs in TL505s is they do a nice 60Hz thing.
I've been saving up to retune my boxes for some B&C TBX drivers for more output to reduced my cabs from X4 to X2.
If you want the MTLs because you heard a set and like the sound build um and use the correct drivers.Otherwise my suggestion would be to only build a set of cabs you allready know you like the sound of and use the drivers they call for.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.