ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do castor wheels under Subs affect sound?  (Read 7659 times)

Donna Heke

Do castor wheels under Subs affect sound?
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:04:29 AM »

My question is: Do castor wheels affect the sound and volume of the sub, with it not sitting on the ground?

I've read the posts about the trolleys and dollys which I've used in the past but the idea is to reduce lifting actions as much as possible...such as lifting onto the trolley and lifting off...

I can't put the wheels on the back because there is too higher risk of the cabinet tipping when rolling, since they are quite rectangular and front heavy...

Thanks in advance for any comments or help... :)

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Re: Do castor wheels under Subs affect sound?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »

While the castors would not impact coupling, I would be concerned with the stability if you are stacking on top of these.  I would want all 4 castors to lock.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

My question is: Do castor wheels affect the sound and volume of the sub, with it not sitting on the ground?

I've read the posts about the trolleys and dollys which I've used in the past but the idea is to reduce lifting actions as much as possible...such as lifting onto the trolley and lifting off...

I can't put the wheels on the back because there is too higher risk of the cabinet tipping when rolling, since they are quite rectangular and front heavy...

Thanks in advance for any comments or help... :)
It's not likely to affect coupling with the floor, since the 4" - 5" of distance will be well within 1/4 wavelength, but it's possible that - depending on which direction the drivers move relative to the horizontal plane the casters roll on - that the speaker cab may vibrate more, costing you some output.  The amount that this happens relates to the mass of your subs and other factors.

Have you tried it?  I'd do a test - run a gig with the subs on the wheels.  If you don't notice a difference - leave the wheels on.

joelee

• Turbo Power Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:40:23 AM »

we always install castors for our clients with subs, and no one have a feedback it affects the sound quality. Beside, where do you install your castors, rear back or side?
TPA Sound System
On the way....................................
Turbo Power Audio
www.tpa-pro.com
www.facebook.com/joelee0618

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »

TJ fairly well covered it, one other thing to think about is what casters you use, cheap ones can rattle and be very annoying.
Oh yeah FYI it is casters not castors.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »

TJ fairly well covered it, one other thing to think about is what casters you use, cheap ones can rattle and be very annoying.
Oh yeah FYI it is casters not castors.

Rattling casters drive me nuts if they're audible from my position on stage; that and 'sizzler' cymbals with their buzzy, loose, rivets! ;)

Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.