ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread  (Read 22667 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »

Double post. Took a min for his one to go through, thought it hadn't made it so I wrote it again. Whoops.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:49:18 AM by Samuel Rees »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »

Don't I have to set up the input first and route it to a mix or matrix?

Nope. Simply select the channel, and press the "mono" button in the yellow output section of the assignable channel strip to assign it there, and press "LR" to  unassign it from that bus. This operates just like assigning channels to subgroups and the LR on traditional analog designs.

There is no "fixed" or aux options on busses like on an LS9. There is an option for more complex "subgroup" style processing if you want: You can select an aux bus and assign it back to the LR or Mono busses. So, you could call buss 13 "backup vocals", make it post fader and using sends-on-fader send all your backup vocals to it at unity and the assign that bus to the mono. Then do the same for bus 14 but for lead vocals. This way you could compress your backup and lead vocals differently, for example. Except for adding the mono bus and dual PA concept, I regularly do this with vocals.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »

Since there are no scribble strips, where is there room for board tape?
It didn't look like there was any space below the fader in the photos on the Soundcraft site.

No scribble strips is starting to look like becoming a problem in the cheapie digital mixer market.  The A&H GLD has them, as does the price-busting X32.

There's a huge price gap between the Si Performer (with scribble strips) and the Expression (without).  Given that the Si Expression/Compact do rely heavily on layers, especially as you need 2 layers just to handle all inputs, scribble strips really are a necessity.  Fader-glow helps a lot, but still doesn't replace them.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »

No scribble strips is starting to look like becoming a problem in the cheapie digital mixer market.  The A&H GLD has them, as does the price-busting X32.

There's a huge price gap between the Si Performer (with scribble strips) and the Expression (without).  Given that the Si Expression/Compact do rely heavily on layers, especially as you need 2 layers just to handle all inputs, scribble strips really are a necessity.  Fader-glow helps a lot, but still doesn't replace them.

I also use tape above the fader where the scribble stip would be. I don't have any problems with layers. On the Expression you only have 2 mono input channels on page 2 and your stereo input channels that stick out with fader-glow. As stated above it does show input label on iPad app and on the touchscreen when you select the channel.
I use a Soundcraft Si3 at the church weekly and after 5 years of use the scribble strips are starting to fade and the only issuer we have had. So honestly I never had them on my MH2 or GB4 I have owned for years, so I don't miss them and it is less to fail down the road. If it only had 8 input faders and you had to rely on them for more then half your input channels then I might feel differently.

Mike Reigh

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

So it's safe to say you're not sending it back?

Jerry Prince

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »

Don't I have to set up the input first and route it to a mix or matrix?
All you have to do is SEL the mono slider you sent your vocal channels to and hit output on the touchscreen on the menu screen. Then go down the Patching section on the channel and select the output you would like to send it to.
You could also use a post mix bus out as stated above and then you could place that mix bus on any layer you wanted with the Expression.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »

I also use tape above the fader where the scribble stip would be. I don't have any problems with layers. On the Expression you only have 2 mono input channels on page 2 and your stereo input channels that stick out with fader-glow. As stated above it does show input label on iPad app and on the touchscreen when you select the channel.
I use a Soundcraft Si3 at the church weekly and after 5 years of use the scribble strips are starting to fade and the only issuer we have had. So honestly I never had them on my MH2 or GB4 I have owned for years, so I don't miss them and it is less to fail down the road. If it only had 8 input faders and you had to rely on them for more then half your input channels then I might feel differently.

The Expression claims 66 possible channels of input processing. If you have the Expression 1 or 2 that means several layers. Comparing either the MH or GB series doesn't really work because they don't have layers at all. LED scribble strips are unnecessary when there are no layers.

After using digital boards for the past 4 years I've gotten really sick of having to page through different layers without LED scribble strips. I wouldn't buy a digital board with out them now.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »

Nice looking setup Bob, I like how you have the board mounted and that's a nice PC setup on the left.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

I use a Soundcraft Si3 at the church weekly and after 5 years of use the scribble strips are starting to fade and the only issuer we have had. So honestly I never had them on my MH2 or GB4 I have owned for years, so I don't miss them and it is less to fail down the road.
Can we assume your setups are static and that the same channels are always used for the same input signals?  The challenge for some is that with digital mixers what is assigned to a channel may vary between or even during events.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

Can we assume your setups are static and that the same channels are always used for the same input signals?  The challenge for some is that with digital mixers what is assigned to a channel may vary between or even during events.
The Expression is used on the road with multiple changes throughout the events. I do see the point above if you did go above the default count of channels on the Expression it could become more difficult without scribble strips.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.