ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you loose respect for a pro audio manufacturer who lies about product specs for marketing purposes?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZLX problems  (Read 99131 times)

Justin Staszewski

Re: EV ZLX problems
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

I agree, but would you be happy with the exact same product at twice the price?  Robust manufacturing and QA progams cost money.  They have to cut costs somewhere to meet this price point.  Throwing the entire company under the bus because their bottom-rung equipment doesn't live up to your expectations seems unfair.  The REAL question is how does EV handle the waranty repairs.

I have two of these and they have performed well for me so far, especially at the price point.   I think it is ridiculous to argue that because Q&A costs money that the speakers shouldn't be fastened into the cabinet properly or that the cabinets turn on out of the box.  Mark's a good friend of mine and I recommended these speakers based on my positive experiences with them.  Now I'm sorry I did.  And how exactly does suggesting expensive passive boxes to replace low cost lightweight powered boxes without having any point of reference on the types of gigs he is doing with them relevant at all?  Maybe he should just pick up some Clair 12AM's.  I'm sure that would do the trick.    ::)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »

I agree, but would you be happy with the exact same product at twice the price?  Robust manufacturing and QA progams cost money.  They have to cut costs somewhere to meet this price point.  Throwing the entire company under the bus because their bottom-rung equipment doesn't live up to your expectations seems unfair.  The REAL question is how does EV handle the waranty repairs.
Does it really cost more then production and materials/componants to make sure everyone is doing their job correctly in the production line? Because to double the price to the consumer means all the costs of production, plus costs to ship package profit and retailer markup times two.
 The cost of half decent QC is not likely that much and well worth it if that means the difference between garbage with an EV badge and a decent budget product that is usable out of the box.
   At the level of quality these things are built they are close to 2x the price they should be. Gemini or seismic probably sell a better built product for half the price, or at least equal.

As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »

Does it really cost more then production and materials/componants to make sure everyone is doing their job correctly in the production line? Because to double the price to the consumer means all the costs of production, plus costs to ship package profit and retailer markup times two.
 The cost of half decent QC is not likely that much and well worth it if that means the difference between garbage with an EV badge and a decent budget product that is usable out of the box.
   At the level of quality these things are built they are close to 2x the price they should be. Gemini or seismic probably sell a better built product for half the price, or at least equal.

For the record, bullshit specs or not I still like mine quite a bit.  Although I am getting the impression that the cabs are not built to withstand any type of physical abuse whatsoever.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »

For the record, bullshit specs or not I still like mine quite a bit.  Although I am getting the impression that the cabs are not built to withstand any type of physical abuse whatsoever.
Physical abuse, not sure yet since I have not abused them physically, nor did I plan to. Now sexual abuse OTOH, would have to advise against, not the kind of thing I'd want hanging over my head and always tough to defend in court. Verbal abuse, mental abuse and alcohal abuse only time will tell.

As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »

Joking aside, I just got off the phone with a rep from the EV dealer regarding the failure and he was quick to call me after I emailed them about the issue and he contacted EV and called me back in about 35mins and said to box it back up and UPS will pick it up tomorrow and he said EV will likely ship a replacement from their local warehouse (in my state) as soon as the returned unit tracking shows it was picked up. He said I will LIKELY have a replacement unit in a day from tomorrow, that would be great.
  Will update with outcome

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 04:20:18 PM »

Also not certain if this is EV's level of customer service I am impressed with (so far) or if this was more an effort of the EV dealer I am experiencing and not the same as I'd get if I contacted EV directly myself..

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »

I'm guessing that you bought them Guitar Center.  They received the first batch of shipments from the factory which have a known problem with cabling touching the woofer.  They were recalled for repair and then shipped back to stores.  It sounds like whomever did the fix on yours was having a bad day.

I purchase a pair 2 weeks ago and have used them on 4 gigs so far and I like them.  That said, I might pull the grills off tonight and check the driver screws....

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

I pulled my 2 ZLX12ps which have 4 gigs on them.  All external screws (grill, feet, plate amp) were about 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose of snug.  They are basically sheet metal screws in the plastic housing.  The handle screws were tight.  My driver screws were tight, but most of the internal horn mount and housing screws were 1/8 turn loose.  Interesting tuning port design which I assume models OK but to my eyes seems like it could be an issue right next to the woofer.

That said, I still think they sound good.  I think they are a little clearer than the passive version ELX which have been my monitors for the last 2 years and use the same drivers.  I assume the differences are in relation to tweaks in the DSP.  To my ear they are much better sounding than a JRX or anything else in the price range.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »

And on that 1,000 watts, that is all to typical of the lower end powered speakers.  The amp is 2 x 500 watts, 500 to the woofer leaving an entire 500 watt channel for the tweeter which maybe uses 50?  QSC "K" series seems may have been the first to bring this marketing number to market, now it's pretty much standard.

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

I also have 4 of the ZLX when i pulled them out of the box they all worked but 1 and i went into the processor and did a Reset and powered the cab off then back on, and have not had a problem with it in the 8 shows i've done. The grill on one of my cabs had some loose screws but other than that i have had no other problems. (i did not buy from guitar center)
I use them on a stage with my Jbl MRX for monitors and the system works very wells together, but to even think that these would be close to the QRX is not bright.

I like these as well as the alto's i've used and they are easier to get so i have been pretty happy.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.