ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you loose respect for a pro audio manufacturer who lies about product specs for marketing purposes?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZLX problems  (Read 99564 times)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
Re: EV ZLX problems
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »

to even think that these would be close to the QRX is not bright
I didn't think these would be close to the qrx, don't know where you got that impression. I compared the appearence to my qrx but thats it and that was only based on the full grill and the qrx has the textured finish that looks like a plastic box and the zlx are the plastic box they kind of look like....

As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »

Are these zlx even bi amped? hard to tell b the spec sheets and product documents.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

I'm guessing that you bought them Guitar Center.
You guessed wrong, tried to buy 4x at Sam Ash in Philadelphia but they were more interested in closing the store 40 mins early then they were in a $1600 sale so I took my money elsewhere, and it was not Guitar Center.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »

I have also had QC problems with EV ZX3s, which had many corroded bolts in one of the two I bought, and a ZXA1, which had a loose LF driver that literally rattled around until I tightened the mounting bolts. This occurred about 3 or 4 years ago. Clearly assembly had been done very sloppily and not checked at all. The good news is that EV / Bosch immediately shipped me a set of replacement bolts for the ZX3, after about 3 minutes on the phone with a very pleasant customer service rep. The ZXA1 driver took me about 5 minutes to fix. I have had no problems at all with either of those speakers since. You and I and all the end users seem to have been promoted (demoted?) to QC inspectors.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »

I agree and I have no problem with doing that kind of BS stuff and really I like to open up every speaker I buy new or used and do 2 things, check for things as you and I found with poor assembly and to see what they are made of.
 The thing that worries me a bit is possible defects with the amp module that are not easy to spot or remedy and may leave me without service on a job which is not acceptable and I thy to avoid failure at all cost, which I have been quite successful at for 10 or so,yrs

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

BTW The poll results dont surprise me, and I think most of us here know when they lie.  Sadly the pro audio industry seems to be outside the laws that mandate audio products are tested and marketed with specific standards like they do with home audio products. I think it was qsc who lobbied to have the regulation loopholes opened up  for powered speakers years ago.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »

Sadly the pro audio industry seems to be outside the laws that mandate audio products are tested and marketed with specific standards like they do with home audio products. I think it was qsc who lobbied to have the regulation loopholes opened up  for powered speakers years ago.

Marc, care to elaborate on "the pro audio industry seems to be outside the laws that mandate audio products are tested and marketed with specific standards like they do with home audio products"

I am not familiar with this and would like to be.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »

I am not familiar with this and would like to be.

Required disclosures.

(a) Whenever any direct or indirect representation is made of the power output, power band or power frequency response, or distortion characteristics of sound power amplification equipment, the following disclosure shall be made clearly, conspicuously, and more prominently than any other representations or disclosures permitted under this part: The manufacturer's rated minimum sine wave continuous average power output, in watts, per channel (if the equipment is designed to amplify two or more channels simultaneously) at an impedance of 8 ohms, or, if the amplifier is not designed for an 8-ohm impedance, at the impedance for which the amplifier is primarily designed, measured with all associated channels fully driven to rated per channel power. Provided, however, when measuring maximum per channel output of self-powered combination speaker systems that employ two or more amplifiers dedicated to different portions of the audio frequency spectrum, such as those incorporated into combination subwoofer-satellite speaker systems, only those channels dedicated to the same audio frequency spectrum should be considered associated channels that need be fully driven simultaneously to rated per channel power.

(b) In addition, whenever any direct or indirect representation is made of the power output, power band or power frequency response, or distortion characteristics of sound power amplification equipment in any product brochure or manufacturer specification sheet, the following disclosures also shall be made clearly, conspicuously, and more prominently than any other representations or disclosures permitted under this part:

(1) The manufacturer's rated power band or power frequency response, in Hertz (Hz), for the rated power output required to be disclosed in paragraph (a) of this section; and

(2) The manufacturer's rated percentage of maximum total harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 mW to the rated power output, and its corresponding rated power band or power frequency response.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »

the FTC rules are set in place to prevent unfair and deceptive business practices which are geared to mislead the consumer while comparing audio products for purchase.
 The pro audio market did some lobbying years ago and since the rule is for home audio products due to it being dated (from 70's) they squeeze through the loophole that the car audio market has used for quite a while, that is why you will see that car audio amplifiers seem to somehow produce massive power output, 20x what home audio amps claim yet they are running off a car electrical system and don't compare to the actual performance.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »

Exactly what was the OP expecting for $400?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.