ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX/PRX800 series  (Read 10422 times)

Mike Sullivan

Re: JBL SRX/PRX800 series
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 04:16:55 AM »

Sure FEELS like twice the speaker when putting up on a stick!

Yes, I know my speculative comparison may be a hair exaggerated, and I still am happy to use my PRX 612s for smaller shows. If it's monitors you want to use them for, the SRX angle is much better than the PRX, which we all know can be adjusted with audio wood.

This is the main reason I'm wanting to avoid the SRX.  I've used the SRX815's and they sound good & get ridiculously loud, but the size of those things are MASSIVE.  Most of my work is small bars, and small festival style stuff.  Even my ART312's are a bit big for some of the places I have worked.. I'm a young guy at 23, but the more weight I can take off my back, the better.  That's the main reason I'm picking the SRX800 over most systems.  The tops are still a one-man lift (for the most part), the subs are lightweight and I can probably stack by myself if absolutely necessary.  However the size of the 812's and 815's as far as floor monitors is a real killer, especially in small venues.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »

This is the main reason I'm wanting to avoid the SRX.  I've used the SRX815's and they sound good & get ridiculously loud, but the size of those things are MASSIVE.  Most of my work is small bars, and small festival style stuff.  Even my ART312's are a bit big for some of the places I have worked.. I'm a young guy at 23, but the more weight I can take off my back, the better.  That's the main reason I'm picking the SRX800 over most systems.  The tops are still a one-man lift (for the most part), the subs are lightweight and I can probably stack by myself if absolutely necessary.  However the size of the 812's and 815's as far as floor monitors is a real killer, especially in small venues.

"Yeah, we'll stick a postage stamp in the corner and have live music in our watering hole, how much room do 4 guys need, anyway?"  Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

Not powered, but tiny (by my definition) are the SRX712M (maybe finally really discontinued, but there might still be some NOS "found" yet again).  The angle can be funky if your stage is really tight but that's fixable with audio logs.  Sounds good and gets stupid loud even in passive mode.

For mains I'm liking the new SRX800P stuff, particularly the 835P/828SP combo.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »

Tim hit the nail on the head IMO.

Your speakers are plenty "good".  There could certainly be some incremental "better" sound by going to a more expensive (and much heavier) SRX8XXp FOH system, but really, I think you would be surprised how much better your over-all sound improves with better microphones.

I do think that the JBL's look nicer than the RCF's ;)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »

"Yeah, we'll stick a postage stamp in the corner and have live music in our watering hole, how much room do 4 guys need, anyway?"  Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

Not powered, but tiny (by my definition) are the SRX712M (maybe finally really discontinued, but there might still be some NOS "found" yet again).  The angle can be funky if your stage is really tight but that's fixable with audio logs.  Sounds good and gets stupid loud even in passive mode.

For mains I'm liking the new SRX800P stuff, particularly the 835P/828SP combo.
I know a guy in town here selling 4 brand new in box SRX712M's.  Nice price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-SRX712M-Stage-Monitor-NEW-STILL-IN-BOX-JBL-712-SRX-712M-/222332181433?hash=item33c407dbb9:g:qd0AAMXQEgpTD8Hu

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »

Agree completely on the size & weight. My original plan was to sell off my PRX rig, but due to the extra weight, I find myself picking the PRX rig for most gigs. I had the K&M speaker tilters on my pole extensions, and the SRX815p was too much weight for them. I  had to buy K&M poles with expanding mandrels to properly support the weight of the 815's.

If you have the budget, why not look at some real, dedicated monitors like the RCF NX 12-SMA? Mike Pyle can also give you a very good price on these.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »

Agree completely on the size & weight. My original plan was to sell off my PRX rig, but due to the extra weight, I find myself picking the PRX rig for most gigs. I had the K&M speaker tilters on my pole extensions, and the SRX815p was too much weight for them. I  had to buy K&M poles with expanding mandrels to properly support the weight of the 815's.

If you have the budget, why not look at some real, dedicated monitors like the RCF NX 12-SMA? Mike Pyle can also give you a very good price on these.

Honestly the NX12SMA is probably going to be my monitor upgrade, I heard them at a show across the state and they sound awesome.  Plus they are compact & light.  Would ideally like a matched system but JBL doesn't have any loud compact monitors anymore (not newer at least) and I don't really want to haul an amp rack around for the SRX712's
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »

Honestly the NX12SMA is probably going to be my monitor upgrade, I heard them at a show across the state and they sound awesome.  Plus they are compact & light.
Mike, we switched two years ago to the RCF NX12SMA for our mid-size show and have never looked back.  They are low profile and sound amazing.  We used them for all of our festival work as well as some of our 'B' level shows.  They are amazing.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »

Tim hit the nail on the head IMO.

Your speakers are plenty "good".  There could certainly be some incremental "better" sound by going to a more expensive (and much heavier) SRX8XXp FOH system, but really, I think you would be surprised how much better your over-all sound improves with better microphones.

I do think that the JBL's look nicer than the RCF's ;)

That's what I was getting at. I have a perfect example from last weekend. Doing a show for a fabulous broadway star singer doing Christmas tunes. We usually use PRX615m monitors at this particular venue. I personally don't like the speakers much, I find I always put massive cuts around 250 at a pretty wide Q. We have a graph preset we pretty much always use on those wedges, which the preset has massive cuts all over to even it out. Bottom line, I really don't like the PRX (except from an ROI standpoint, in which I LOVE them ;)
We switched out the beta 58 we usually use for our shiny new ksm8. Not only did we need pretty much no channel EQ, we found ourselves flattening our stock cuts all out. MAGIC! The speakers sounded great.

The equation...
Great artist + quality mic +/- engineer screwing it up = sounds great!

Now I'm all for better speakers. I have a bunch of speakers that I use and prefer that cost at least 2-3x more than the PRX. But for the OP's needs it sounds like he has a pretty good rig. Take that money and buy some Telefunken M80's, a nice drum mic kit, a couple of KSM137, that sort of thing. Radial DI's. I'm telling you, I'm on a kick with this fix the source first concept. It is really working in so many venues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.