ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you loose respect for a pro audio manufacturer who lies about product specs for marketing purposes?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZLX problems  (Read 99135 times)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
EV ZLX problems
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »

I bought 4x Electro-voice ZLX 12p powered speakers for use as stage monitors. The rig they were bought for is a QRX rig which previously included JBL powered monitors. A friend told me about the ZLX line and recommended them and I always liked all the EV products that i have owned over the years. I also liked the look which is a closer match to the QRX mains (cosmetically) then the JBL monitors, so I bought 4 of the new ZLX 12p model.
  When they arrived the first thing I noticed was they are made in china, not what I expected from EV and a big disappointment. Then I see that the power cable included is 18awg which can't be heavy enough for a claimed 1000watt power amp, can it? Of corse that made me investigate the power claims of the model line which was another disappointment, apparently the factory specs simply state the amplifier "power rating 1000 watts" with no further distinction as to that rating. The assumption that a product from a reputable professional audio mfg would use accurate Cont. RMS power rating is not correct with new EV products and this is a very misleading marketing spec several times the actual power output of the unit.
 Then I see that the factory new speakers show what looks like evidence that they were taken apart before, tool marks on some hardware and even a grill screw was stripped. Also 1 unit had the power amp mounted upside down.
 I noticed the logo on the grill rattles, so I removed the front grill to fix the logo rattle and found a unit had 3x of the screws that hold in the Lf driver in were sticking out about 1/2inch and the other 5 were less then fully seated as well.
 while fixing all the obvious flaws I realized just how cheap these things are. The screws that they used to hold everything together are all simply screwed into plastic and none have any metal thread inserts or nuts or anything half decent, just plastic. Then while I was flipping the amp module that was upside down I could see inside the box and I was once again disappointed to see some REAL CHEAP DRIVERS inside. The low driver was an obviously cheap stamped basket woofer and the HF driver also looks like junk which BTW is not a 1.5 in throat as marketing leads you to believe.
  So  I get them as prepared as I can and take them out to the first gig and guess what? Already a failure! Right after I set up I did a quick check to make sure everything was working and found 1 of 4 was not producing any audio output. Did some trouble shooting by swapping wiring and mix outputs and finally hooking a mic directly to the ZLX revealed it was not working. Powered up and the LCD screen comes on but no output with all the correct settings on the gain and dsp options but no output.
  I know it is under warranty still but I am already at a loss for confidence with these speakers and I can not trust them after being let down right out of the gate.
  i guess this is a sign that maybe EV (now Bosh) is going downhill. When I noticed the initial flaws I tried to call them and got a voice mail and no return call, now I have a failure and warranty claim to deal with and I doubt it will be easy.

As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: EV ZLX problems
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:25:03 AM »

When they arrived the first thing I noticed was they are made in china, not what I expected from EV and a big disappointment. Then I see that the power cable included is 18awg which can't be heavy enough for a claimed 1000watt power amp, can it? Of corse that made me investigate the power claims of the model line which was another disappointment, apparently the factory specs simply state the amplifier "power rating 1000 watts" with no further distinction as to that rating. The assumption that a product from a reputable professional audio mfg would use accurate Cont. RMS power rating is not correct with new EV products and this is a very misleading marketing spec several times the actual power output of the unit.

There's no excuse for the obviously poor assembly but ALL of the major PA speaker manufacturers use meaningless spec numbers especially on M.I. powered speakers.  I have a QRx rig and EV ELX series as monitors.  By spec, the ELX112P should be louder than the QRx 115 (132db vs 130db peak).  Of course there's no comparison, the QRx is much louder and sounds better doing it.  I haven't had any issues with the ELX series yet though.  They perform well at what they are intended for.  I was curious about the ZLX as they came out after I already bought the ELX.

As to the power requirements, 1000W is about 8.3 amps at 120V (assuming 100% efficiency) but no amplifier will ever be pulling it's full rated capacity for long periods of time.  Either way, the power output of the amplifier in a powered speaker is meaningless.  I wish they'd give a real quantifiable spec for how loud a speaker will be for comparison's sake.  There are standards for such things but those numbers rarely make it into spec sheets.  Unfortunately, the listening test is the only reliable one.  It's all about getting you to buy it, not about making a quality product.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:26:43 AM by Corey Scogin »

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »

It's all about getting you to buy it, not about making a quality product.
Well sometimes it takes a quality product for someone to buy it. This may have been a mistake I made based mostly on a firm confidence I had for electrovoice, but I only made 4x mistakes and if the product was not such a disappointment I would have certainly purchased many more units.
  And I also expect that some people looking at the EV ZLX speakers will find my thread and see that they are not quality speakers and decide to buy something else of better quality.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »

...while fixing all the obvious flaws I realized just how cheap these things are.

Well, there you go. This is EV's bottom rung entry-level line. They are cheaply-made to compete with all of the other cheaply-made speakers out there.

I wish Bosch's bean counters hadn't felt the need to take EV in this direction, but there may have been no alternative.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

paul bell

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »

EV's US made cabinets come from a shop in North Carolina that almost every manufacturer turns to. They are well made professional level products. These speakers are loaded with EV made components which are usually behind the curve compared to other makers.

Most manufacturers have turned to Asia to produce low level speakers to capture the entry level segment of the market. Most (EG: QSC, JBL) do a pretty good job with these products. Obviously EV does not.

Having said this, I've never been very impressed with any EV product, I don't use or recommend them.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »

Having said this, I've never been very impressed with any EV product, I don't use or recommend them.
Well I do use them, have been impressed and did recommend them until these speakers tainted the name in my opinion.
  BTW when they say things like "engineered by EV in the USA" this Means NOT made by EV and NOT made in USA, in this case china.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

Well I do use them, have been impressed and did recommend them until these speakers tainted the name in my opinion.
  BTW when they say things like "engineered by EV in the USA" this Means NOT made by EV and NOT made in USA, in this case china.
"Engineered" and "made" (or manufactured) are two entirely different things.  I'm surprised that you are so upset that the lowest line of a company's products aren't up to their more potent offerings.  If you like QRx (like I do), why not get some 112/75s for your monitor rig?  I use extremely inexpensive Alto SXM112a monitors all the time.  I'm pleased with the performance, but I don't expect them to keep up with real wedges.  This is simply another "Not Enough Rig for the Gig" situation.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

This is simply another "Not Enough Rig for the Gig" situation.
Do you mean my situation or yours?

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »

I'm surprised that you are so upset that the lowest line of a company's products aren't up to their more potent offerings.
I'm surprised you are surprised that I am upset that The EV zlx 12p failed to function the very first time I tried to use it on a gig and I expect better quality and would be nice if the drivers were fastened into the enclosure.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

I'm surprised you are surprised that I am upset that The EV zlx 12p failed to function the very first time I tried to use it on a gig and I expect better quality and would be nice if the drivers were fastened into the enclosure.
I agree, but would you be happy with the exact same product at twice the price?  Robust manufacturing and QA progams cost money.  They have to cut costs somewhere to meet this price point.  Throwing the entire company under the bus because their bottom-rung equipment doesn't live up to your expectations seems unfair.  The REAL question is how does EV handle the waranty repairs.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 28 queries.