ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?  (Read 13081 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

Unfortunately, you appear to have hit upon the one limitation that annoys me above all others with the X32 (along with the Si Compact/Expression, the 01V96 and, apparently the Rolands).

In the "budget" range, it appears that only the A&H GLD (along with it's GL2400 brethren) supports pre-dynamics. Best of all, the FLU's allowed quite a lot of choice over where the auxes pick off the signal.

Although,  I guess you can always hold out that it might appear in a future software update.

It's astonishing that the others don't offer this flexibility as it's only software.  Not that you'll necessarily need all the options, but good to have the choice, as in your situation.  And a real pain to have to double up the channels.

Nearly as disappointing a some of the petty posts in this thread...

My guess is that since Roland and Behringer each have a personal mixing system is that they each expect you to use the direct outs for monitoring purposes. You can set the direct outs to tap off much earlier in the signal chain than the AUX sends.

That said, I agree with you Alec. It doesn't make any sense to me why they do this when they could most likely easily update this in the software/firmware to allow users to route inputs to AUXes at the pre-dynamics level. Especially when you can route the direct outs this way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:55:24 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »

My guess is that since Roland and Behringer each have a personal mixing system is that they each expect you to use the direct outs for monitoring purposes. You can set the direct outs to tap off much earlier in the signal chain than the AUX sends.

That said, I agree with you Alec. It doesn't make any sense to me why they do this when they could most likely easily update this in the software/firmware to allow users to route inputs to AUXes at the pre-dynamics level. Especially when you can route the direct outs this way.

The P16 does indeed tap Pre-gate. but as far as I can see, there isn't a way to route that to a standard output.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

The P16 does indeed tap Pre-gate. but as far as I can see, there isn't a way to route that to a standard output.

The way the manual was worded lead me to believe that you can set the direct output (specifically) to be pre-gate, pre-EQ, or pre-fader.

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »

The way the manual was worded lead me to believe that you can set the direct output (specifically) to be pre-gate, pre-EQ, or pre-fader.

I read it the same way, and after thinking that I had set it this way several times, the drummer informed me he could still hear them.  I figured there must be a trick to it, but I guess I'm just out of luck until Behringer fixes it.  Kind of a bummer because I had to run my Presonus console with the toms double routed for this same reason.  Its one of tne of the reasons i switched consoles.  Oh we'll, at least I have more spare channels on this one until they remedy it.  Other than this relatively minor issue, I'm still completely in love with this console.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »

I read it the same way, and after thinking that I had set it this way several times, the drummer informed me he could still hear them.  I figured there must be a trick to it, but I guess I'm just out of luck until Behringer fixes it.  Kind of a bummer because I had to run my Presonus console with the toms double routed for this same reason.  Its one of tne of the reasons i switched consoles.  Oh we'll, at least I have more spare channels on this one until they remedy it.  Other than this relatively minor issue, I'm still completely in love with this console.

Direct out =/= AUX send. I found out after some frustrating trial and error that just because you can set the direct out to a certain point in the signal chain does NOT mean that you can set it that early in the AUX send. This appears to be the case with the X32. It's one of the most frustrating parts about the Roland board. Even the new versions that have a little more routing flexibility still have this limitation.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

I see where it says that in the user manual, but at least in the software it does not show it available (that I can see). Perhaps that is being added in soon and they just happened to update the manual first?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »

Forget I asked.  Instead of getting a straight answer from anyone who knows from experience, I'll just figure that because you read my question having never met me or heard me mix that I must be doing it wrong because you said so.  I'll just route the channels into duplicate channels and route them to the ears until someone who actually owns one of these consoles and knows the answer can offer some constructive advice.  The client doesn't want gates in his ears.  Period.  I do my best to meet my clients relatively reasonable requests.  Thanks for more unsolicited critiques on my ability to do my job when posed with a reasonable question about features on a console.
I appologize if I've upset you, or if you feel that I've questioned your abilities in any way.  You asked a question, and I answered it - admittedly a bit brief and blunt.  I intended no disrespect.  I have more experience on this desk than most (or at least as much).  Tommy pointed out the only other work around - double patching the offending channels (where you will have to work harder on your gate settings anyway).   I still stand by my answer.  If anything, it's YOU that have directly questioned MY abilities (and intentions) - just a little something to consider.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

I appologize if I've upset you, or if you feel that I've questioned your abilities in any way.  You asked a question, and I answered it - admittedly a bit brief and blunt.  I intended no disrespect.  I have more experience on this desk than most (or at least as much).  Tommy pointed out the only other work around - double patching the offending channels (where you will have to work harder on your gate settings anyway).   I still stand by my answer.  If anything, it's YOU that have directly questioned MY abilities (and intentions) - just a little something to consider.

Your answer? You didn't answer his question, maybe you suggested a solution to an asumed cause of problems you asume he is trying to solve, your assumed wrong and your solution makes no sense, especially if you claim to know this mixer better then everyone else.
 If you know it so well, why would you suggest he needs to learn to opperate his gates as a solution to sending a pre gated signal to an aux buss when in fact it is not an option?
  Which you seem to know suddenly after others have revealed it.
 I doubt you mix 1/2 as many gigs per year as Justin, and neither do I, (he is kind of a whore) (I 'll still school his ass mixing) <--jokes...
  Seriously thougt the drummer he is dealing with does not care how well Justin has the art of gating mastered and even if he hired you to opperate the drum gates exclusively all throughout the gig and the drum gates were the takl of the town, it would do NOTHING to change the fact that HE DON'T WANT ANY GATES IN HIS IEM MIX.
 If you you still stand by your answer, I say good day to you sir!
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

Your answer? You didn't answer his question, maybe you suggested a solution to an asumed cause of problems you asume he is trying to solve, your assumed wrong and your solution makes no sense, especially if you claim to know this mixer better then everyone else.
 If you know it so well, why would you suggest he needs to learn to opperate his gates as a solution to sending a pre gated signal to an aux buss when in fact it is not an option?
  Which you seem to know suddenly after others have revealed it.
 I doubt you mix 1/2 as many gigs per year as Justin, and neither do I, (he is kind of a whore) (I 'll still school his ass mixing) <--jokes...
  Seriously thougt the drummer he is dealing with does not care how well Justin has the art of gating mastered and even if he hired you to opperate the drum gates exclusively all throughout the gig and the drum gates were the takl of the town, it would do NOTHING to change the fact that HE DON'T WANT ANY GATES IN HIS IEM MIX.
 If you you still stand by your answer, I say good day to you sir!

I'm the original post Justin DOES make it sound like he was having trouble making the gates transparent(hence the problem with the drummers IEMs) so I can see where Scott was coming from in his post. If the gates couldn't be heard there wouldn't be a problem.

In any case there isn't a reason to jump on Scott(or anyone else). I'm sure that Scott has much more time on the x32 than me, most of my mixing is on an analog mixer; I just looked it up in the manual.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

A bit of a quick missive to all those who feel butt-hurt:

Lighten up, Francis.

/ word from our sponsors
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.