ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?  (Read 13091 times)

Justin Staszewski

Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:37:54 AM »

I have a Behringer X-32 that I've been using for about 3 weeks now.  I love it, but I'm trying for figure out how to eliminate the gates on the toms, snare and kick in the drummer's in-ears.  It drives him nuts.  I've read through the manual several times and thought I had it up correctly to avoid this but he's still claiming to hear the gates.  Anyone know specifically how to avoid this.   I'm pretty methodical about reading the manual and figuring stuff out, but after 3 weeks he's starting to get chirpy about it, so I'm hoping someone can help.  I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

Justin

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Behringer X-32- bypass gates in monitor outputs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »

I have a Behringer X-32 that I've been using for about 3 weeks now.  I love it, but I'm trying for figure out how to eliminate the gates on the toms, snare and kick in the drummer's in-ears.  It drives him nuts.  I've read through the manual several times and thought I had it up correctly to avoid this but he's still claiming to hear the gates.  Anyone know specifically how to avoid this.   I'm pretty methodical about reading the manual and figuring stuff out, but after 3 weeks he's starting to get chirpy about it, so I'm hoping someone can help.  I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

Justin
Perhaps you should spend more time setting the gates properly.  If it sounds bad in the IEMs, it probably sounds bad in the house.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »

Perhaps you should spend more time setting the gates properly.  If it sounds bad in the IEMs, it probably sounds bad in the house.

+1.  Most of the time I see settings with too high a ratio and funky attack/hold/release times.

And I'm not sure that the channel dynamics can be assigned post-aux but still be pre-fader.  There is a huge (6,500+ posts) over at http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion.html that has covered many configuration issues and I *think* this was one of them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

I don't know how it works exactly on the X32 but I know on the Roland M-400, the AUX sends on it are always post-dynamics processing. They can be pre-fader or pre-EQ, but the EQ comes after the dynamics section. Could be the case with the X32.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:44:58 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »

Forget I asked.  Instead of getting a straight answer from anyone who knows from experience, I'll just figure that because you read my question having never met me or heard me mix that I must be doing it wrong because you said so.  I'll just route the channels into duplicate channels and route them to the ears until someone who actually owns one of these consoles and knows the answer can offer some constructive advice.  The client doesn't want gates in his ears.  Period.  I do my best to meet my clients relatively reasonable requests.  Thanks for more unsolicited critiques on my ability to do my job when posed with a reasonable question about features on a console.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

Forget I asked.  Instead of getting a straight answer from anyone who knows from experience, I'll just figure that because you read my question having never met me or heard me mix that I must be doing it wrong because you said so.  I'll just route the channels into duplicate channels and route them to the ears until someone who actually owns one of these consoles and knows the answer can offer some constructive advice.  The client doesn't want gates in his ears.  Period.  I do my best to meet my clients relatively reasonable requests.  Thanks for more unsolicited critiques on my ability to do my job when posed with a reasonable question about features on a console.

Well, justin, you're right.  I know of plenty of drummers who love hearing their toms ring for far longer than i'd ever want them to in the house.  And yes, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to send the axes pre dynamics on the X32, so double patching is your only solution for now.

But you're also wrong.  Your overly attitude laden response really makes you come across as young and/or inexperienced.  If you are neither of those, then you just come across as immature.  I'm not telling you this to 'call you out'.  I'm actually telling you this in the hopes that it will help you in the future.  You had an opportunity here to come across as a seasoned professional on a professional forum and you kinda blew it.  So yeah, perhaps the responder could have offered something more helpful and less judgmental.  But you didn't do yourself any favors here either.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »

Scott makes a good point. But looking at the manual and the x32 Edit app all of the channel sends are after the gate, so the only way to do what you want is to double patch the channel.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »

Unfortunately, you appear to have hit upon the one limitation that annoys me above all others with the X32 (along with the Si Compact/Expression, the 01V96 and, apparently the Rolands).

In the "budget" range, it appears that only the A&H GLD (along with it's GL2400 brethren) supports pre-dynamics. Best of all, the FLU's allowed quite a lot of choice over where the auxes pick off the signal.

Although,  I guess you can always hold out that it might appear in a future software update.

It's astonishing that the others don't offer this flexibility as it's only software.  Not that you'll necessarily need all the options, but good to have the choice, as in your situation.  And a real pain to have to double up the channels.

Nearly as disappointing a some of the petty posts in this thread...

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

Well, justin, you're right.  I know of plenty of drummers who love hearing their toms ring for far longer than i'd ever want them to in the house.  And yes, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to send the axes pre dynamics on the X32, so double patching is your only solution for now.

But you're also wrong.  Your overly attitude laden response really makes you come across as young and/or inexperienced.  If you are neither of those, then you just come across as immature.  I'm not telling you this to 'call you out'.  I'm actually telling you this in the hopes that it will help you in the future.  You had an opportunity here to come across as a seasoned professional on a professional forum and you kinda blew it.  So yeah, perhaps the responder could have offered something more helpful and less judgmental.  But you didn't do yourself any favors here either.

Well, I don't know about any of you, but I've always treat other adults politely and with respect no matter who they are.  Scott's condescending tone was positively dripping through the keyboard and I don't appreciate it.  He didn't answer my question, he called my expertise into question and I called him on it.  If I wanted to know if my gate settings were incorrect, I would have provided my parameters and asked so.  I asked if the auxes could be sent pre-gates and he told me my gates were wrong.  I will continue to treat everyone on here with respect right up until they disrespect me.  I will not allow some I guy I don't not know who doesn't know my qualifications question my ability to do my job.  I support a family full time as a sound engineer, whether in the club circuit or working for national acts, I don't need Scott's advice on gates.  Thanks.  If the responses to questions are all gonna be "You're doing it wrong", then this place will become a waste of time instead of a community that helps people in our industry.  As a side note, I post these questions on the Lab Lounge to avoid irritating the experts with my middling issues.  So if Scott is such an expert that he can't be bothered with the quibbles of an amateur like myself, maybe he should stay in the more rarified air of the classic forum.

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Unfortunately, you appear to have hit upon the one limitation that annoys me above all others with the X32 (along with the Si Compact/Expression, the 01V96 and, apparently the Rolands).

In the "budget" range, it appears that only the A&H GLD (along with it's GL2400 brethren) supports pre-dynamics. Best of all, the FLU's allowed quite a lot of choice over where the auxes pick off the signal.

Although,  I guess you can always hold out that it might appear in a future software update.

It's astonishing that the others don't offer this flexibility as it's only software.  Not that you'll necessarily need all the options, but good to have the choice, as in your situation.  And a real pain to have to double up the channels.

Nearly as disappointing a some of the petty posts in this thread...

Thanks Tommy for a helpful and enlightening answer to my question.  Guess il be double patching and requesting a feature from Behringer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.