ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: $1500... what LED lights to buy?  (Read 12854 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
$1500... what LED lights to buy?
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »

I am going to have roughly $1500 spend and change-out/update my Lighting Rig. I have an idea of what I am looking at, but I want to hear what your suggestions would be.

Here are some notes:
 - I am lighting up a 6-10 piece wedding/corporate party band. Some of the band members do have a darker skin tones.
 - Stages are generally 20’-24’ in width, but sometimes have been up to 40’ in width. Typical stage depth is 16’ but it can range anywhere from 8’-30’.
 - Performances are usually in Hotel Ballroom and most of the hotels have a strict “NO Fog or Haze” policy.
 - I do use the Amber LED color to brighten up the faces.
- The Lighting stands can put the overhead lights up to 10'-12' in the air.
- Lights are you be purchased through a USA dealer/rep.
- Old light rig is being sold

Current rig consist of:
 AmericanDJ MyDMX (original) as the DMX controller
 4: 36x 1watt RGBAW Par575 lights; 25 degree beam angle, Red:6 Green:8 Blue:8 Amber:6 White:8
 2: 60x 1watt RGBAW strip lights; 25 degree beam angle, 12 LEDs on each color

Set-Up: I have 2 LED Par575 lights on lighting tree (prewired) that sits on each side of the stage beside the speaker stacks. The LED bars are then lying across the ground to wash the stage as well. The Pars are aimed head level, while the Bars cover the lower portion of the members.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:30:31 PM by Matt Vivlamore »
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Ted Christensen

Re: $1500... what LED lights to buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »

I am going to have roughly $1500 spend and change-out/update my Lighting Rig. I have an idea of what I am looking at, but I want to hear what your suggestions would be.

Here are some notes:
 - I am lighting up a 6-10 piece wedding/corporate party band. Some of the band members do have a darker skin tones.
 - Stages are generally 20’-24’ in width, but sometimes have been up to 40’ in width. Typical stage depth is 16’ but it can range anywhere from 8’-30’.
 - Performances are usually in Hotel Ballroom and most of the hotels have a strict “NO Fog or Haze” policy.

Current rig consist of:
 4: 36x 1watt RGBAW Par575 lights; 25 degree beam angle, Red:6 Green:8 Blue:8 Amber:6 White:8

Set-Up: I have 2 LED Par575 lights on lighting tree (prewired) that sits on each side of the stage beside the speaker stacks. The LED bars are then lying across the ground to wash the stage as well. The Pars are aimed head level, while the Bars cover the lower portion of the members.

Honeslty that's not a lot of dough. Spend your money wisely. I have 16 slim par pro tris and feels that covers the area nicely but not as bright as I'd like and that cost double atleast of your budget. Sorry to burst your bubble. You can try the used market but the fixtures may not be as bright as todays new market
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

Honeslty that's not a lot of dough. Spend your money wisely. I have 16 slim par pro tris and feels that covers the area nicely but not as bright as I'd like and that cost double atleast of your budget. Sorry to burst your bubble. You can try the used market but the fixtures may not be as bright as todays new market

What size stage are you trying to cover?  How far are you trying to throw the light?

I'm only trying to wash the stage with light.  I don't have any issues with my current rig on the stage.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »

ADJ has a good variety of LED fixtures available, but $1500 won't get you much farther than where you are now. I've used the Mega Tri Bars, the Mega TriPars, and a couple of the Flat Par QA-series.
Unless you can go with more fixtures that are lower power and spread them out across the front or at least partially from the front I'm not certain what options you really have.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »

ADJ has a good variety of LED fixtures available, but $1500 won't get you much farther than where you are now. I've used the Mega Tri Bars, the Mega TriPars, and a couple of the Flat Par QA-series.
Unless you can go with more fixtures that are lower power and spread them out across the front or at least partially from the front I'm not certain what options you really have.

Another goal is to lighten up the rig.
With most of the lights today being 3/4/5-in-1, it'll give me better color blending.

I did compare my Par575 to a ADJ Mega TRIPAR Profile (5led) was about 2/3rds the brightness.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »

Check out blizzardlighting.com.

Sounds like FAB 5 fixtures are what you might want to look at (around $200 street price each, 12,500 lux @ 1m).  These are RGBAW fixtures with a great palette.

When you buy them, be sure to disconnect the "Wicicle enabled" circuitry from the DMX input connector. The wicicle power supply is more trouble than it's worth. Other than that, these are great fixtures for the price and at maximum brightness they don't completely blind people (unlike, say, the Blizzard Rocklite RGBAW fixture which is a great fixture but you don't want to hit people in the face with those things turned up all the way).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »

Check out blizzardlighting.com.

When you buy them, be sure to disconnect the "Wicicle enabled" circuitry from the DMX input connector. The wicicle power supply is more trouble than it's worth.

Randy how did you disconnect the power ( I am thinking about getting some, so don't have a Fab 5 to look at at this point)
Is it just a plug or a wire to snip or??  How was the fan noise from these?
THANKS
Sharyn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

What is the issue? I've been running wicicle enabled Q12As for a while and have had no problems. You ARE supposed to use cables that don't connect the shield to the shell. I do like plugging in the wicicle without needing a wall wart.

I've checked out the Fab5 also. For my purposes they would do better at uplighting drape as the beam is narrower, but the Q12A delivers a brighter, broader wash. If you need the white LEDs the Q12+ replaces half the ambers with white.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »

Here are some notes:

Current rig consist of:

We have been using the Blizzard Lighting ProPar Seven-4 fixtues for lighting 20 - 24 foot wide stages roughly 16' deep.  These lights are 7* 10-watt Quad-color LEDs with full RGBW.  We use 8 of them for a back truss and another 4 of them from the front.   The ProPar Seven is an incredibly bright LED light.  We measured the Red/Yellow/Blue at 20' against a Par64 1000 watt fixture and the ProPar was brighter.  ;)

Good Luck.

Bill
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Randall Hyde

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »

Randy how did you disconnect the power ( I am thinking about getting some, so don't have a Fab 5 to look at at this point)
Is it just a plug or a wire to snip or??  How was the fan noise from these?
THANKS
Sharyn
Just a wire that leads from the power supply to the XLR connector. Most of the work is disassembling and reassembling the case.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Randall Hyde

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »

What is the issue? I've been running wicicle enabled Q12As for a while and have had no problems. You ARE supposed to use cables that don't connect the shield to the shell. I do like plugging in the wicicle without needing a wall wart.
I've blown up six of them so far...

"You ARE supposed to use cables that don't connect the shield to the shell."
Hard to enforce when you've got a huge number of other fixtures and "DMX" cables from all walks of life (e.g., some mic cables). Need to be careful about connecting non-wicicle fixtures together, too.

I have managed to blow up one Fab 5 by plugging a (Blizzard-branded) DMX cable into the fixture while the power was applied (nothing on the other end of the cable). After that incident, I began clipping the wire.

FWIW, I've given up trying to use the wicicles. After two disastrous shows using them, I'm dumping them. Had lots of luck with the Blizzard Lightcaster wireless modules, but it really isn't that much more effort to wire up my lights (and I've literally lost about 12 hours debugging wireless problems at this point -- there's no savings in using the wireless for me).

I did have the blue LEDs die on one of my FAB 5 fixtures on July 4th. I'm starting to take a "wait and see" attitude with respect to recommending Fab 5 fixtures at this point. I have 50 of them, which is probably why I see more than my share of problems, but still...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

NickRodriquez

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »

Here are some notes:
 - I do use the Amber led light to brighten up the faces.

Current rig consist of:

Which lights have you got? This was plenty of money... If you have got some serious lights I would love to get them with such huge investment.. hope you post some suitable reply
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:02:10 PM by NickRodriquez »

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:13:46 PM ยป

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.