ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any love for old EV TL505 subs??  (Read 17911 times)

Elliot Thompson

Re: Any love for old EV TL505 subs??
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

I know they are only like 3.5mm xmax which is a joke by todays standards. But they seem to sound pretty punchy around the 63Hz which I like.
So any love?? Or ya think they are firewood ;D

I can’t say I have ever encountered any xmax issues with old EVM 18B Proline despite having a 3.3mm xmax. They were more susceptible to catching on fire in the middle of a show once they are fed close to 800 watts and/or the cones tearing due to too many sub-low frequencies.

That is my recollection on using them in the 1990’s.

Best Regards,

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »

Any idea what the xmax is on these? A band I play with had another set that was loaded in a set of scoops  they used to own a while back. One of the magnets shifted and pinned the voice coil, I read some were this was a known problem with Carvin's speakers, any truth to that? I know of another Carvin 15 that did the same thing.
Carvin generally uses Eminence drivers, you could probably get an idea of the Xmax by looking through their drivers and seeing which driver yours looks most like.

Magnets can "shift" on almost any driver if the cabinet is dropped hard enough, I have not heard of Carvin's drivers suffering more of that malady than others, but I don't hear much about Carvin in general.

sam saponaro

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:22:30 AM »

Yea never been a fan of Carvin but with 2 layin around I may try um. I do know they have no vent holes so maybe overheating the glue makes the mags shift?? Who knows but I don't plan on bangin the cabs.
R there any modern drivers that would match up close to the TL505 box without having to mod the ports?(carpentry is not my strongsuit)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:26:25 AM by sam saponaro »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »

R there any modern drivers that would match up close to the TL505 box without having to mod the ports?(carpentry is not my strongsuit)
There are many high excursion drivers that will work in the TL505, but the high excursion will blow the air out of the ports unless the port volume is increased. Blowing air does not make for increased SPL.

You could get someone at Home Depot or Lowes to cut the port extension pieces (one piece of plywood per cabinet), and if you can apply some screws and caulk, you could reduce your cabinet count and increase output level.

If you don't want to increase the port volume, using higher Xmax drivers (which will also require more amplifier power to reach the higher Xmax) is simply a waste of power and expense.

sam saponaro

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »

Well I do got a 2000W(1325@8ohm 1950@4ohm) amp per side on the lows so power should be OK for longer xmax high wattage speakers. So just one piece of wood per cab for port extensions??
Basically I'd be looking more for higher SPL than lowend extension if I swapped speakers,I like what the 505s do as is. Just more of it and possibly getting it from 2 instead of 4 would be sweet.

Peter Morris

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »

The port is bigger than I remembered, but at the 45 Hz tuning only totals about 332 cubic inches, while a 16mm Xmax 18" has around 235 cubic inches displacement peak to peak- it would blow the air right out of the port.

Adding length to the full port if a lower tuning is desired is a good suggestion even if the 18Bs are used.

Sam, the Carvin PS-18 800W 18s will probably work OK in the TL 505 box.

The area of the ports in the designs below (per driver or pair in the case of the VUE) is similar to the port area in the TL505. The velocity of the air in the port is the important factor relating to port size, and is directly related to the cross sectional area. The volume of the port determines the tuning frequency.

http://www.bassmaxx.com/pdf/SSP218.pdf
http://www.vueaudio.com/products/as-418/

These both use new high Xmax drivers.

At a guess(check with some software) if you about double the length of the port in the TL505 and stick one of these drivers in it, I think it will work quite well  http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product_simple&pid=298

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

Well I do got a 2000W(1325@8ohm 1950@4ohm) amp per side on the lows so power should be OK for longer xmax high wattage speakers. So just one piece of wood per cab for port extensions??
Basically I'd be looking more for higher SPL than low end extension if I swapped speakers,I like what the 505s do as is.
If you go with a speaker with four times the displacement (like the one Peter suggests), the port needs about 4 times the volume to not be "blown out".
Increasing the port volume by going from 4" to 16" depth lowers the tuning quite a bit.

The cabinets Peter links to have ports with similar  (the 505 is around 70 sq inches for one cone) area, but are in the 16" deep range.
To maintain a 45 Hz Fb with additional depth will also require additional port area, not just a simple 23" x 4" additional piece of wood.

sam saponaro

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »

If you go with a speaker with four times the displacement (like the one Peter suggests), the port needs about 4 times the volume to not be "blown out".
Increasing the port volume by going from 4" to 16" depth lowers the tuning quite a bit.

The cabinets Peter links to have ports with similar  (the 505 is around 70 sq inches for one cone) area, but are in the 16" deep range.
To maintain a 45 Hz Fb with additional depth will also require additional port area, not just a simple 23" x 4" additional piece of wood.
Ah, I see. Tuning boxes is a new thing for me. I used to just stick speakers in and listen. And lately gone with what a box is designed for(once I learned about TS and ports) realizing a bigger speaker in the wrong box don't allways net an increase in sound.
So modding ports is a whole new learning curve for me.
Just curious how do the TLs compare(stock w/ 18b)to say the Newer EV ELX118 or Yamaha Club IV,single 18" boxes? I know they can't compete with "highend" stuff by any means,

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »

Just curious how do the TLs compare(stock w/ 18b)to say the Newer EV ELX118 or Yamaha Club IV,single 18" boxes? I know they can't compete with "highend" stuff by any means,
Looks like the EV ELX118 slightly higher power handling versions of the same old stuff, not much of an upgrade if any. Club IV probably uses fairly run of the mill Eminence 18".

sam saponaro

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »

If I were to decide to swap drivers with the type ports the Tls have,I would need to just add a flat piece of 3/4 ply to extend the existing peice that sits accross the whole three port area??By three ports I mean all three sections were the two divider peices are that go all the way back?

I couldn't find that eighteen sound driver that was in the link Peter Morris left no one seems to stock it when I google searched it.Upon searching I found some old topics on TL505s were it was mentioned the RCF L18P300 and B & C 18TBX100(this one had more Xmax) how would I know how much port extension to install If I were to drop the dime for one of these pairs?
Also would a JBL 2241 or 2245 work in these boxes?? cause a freind of mine has a few layin in his garage.He says they need 8cu ft,the TLs are 7.1cu ft.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:59:59 AM by sam saponaro »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.