ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any love for old EV TL505 subs??  (Read 17981 times)

sam saponaro

Any love for old EV TL505 subs??
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »

I use 4x of these in standard(not step down)tuning in my little band system.I set the HP filter high around 45Hz to protect them.I gotta admit I think they are nice for single 18" cabs. I know they are only like 3.5mm xmax which is a joke by todays standards. But they seem to sound pretty punchy around the 63Hz which I like.
So any love?? Or ya think they are firewood ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:41:54 AM by sam saponaro »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Any love for old EV TL505 subs??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »

I use 4x of these in standard(not step down)tuning in my little band system.I set the HP filter high around 45Hz to protect them.I gotta admit I think they are nice for single 18" cabs. I know they are only like 3.5mm xmax which is a joke by todays standards. But they seem to sound pretty punchy around the 63Hz which I like.
So any love?? Or ya think they are firewood ;D

I think they are quite usable. There's not much out there that will do what a DL18m will do on 200 watts. I have a pair that I built modern looking cabinets for. These are basically the non-stepped down tuning. I use them for all manor of backyard parties and other events where power is scarce.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »

I know they are only like 3.5mm xmax which is a joke by todays standards. But they seem to sound pretty punchy around the 63Hz which I like.
Xmax for the EV18B was only 3.3mm, even less than your recollection.
If you don't mind hauling four speakers around for the same SPL one cabinet with a single speaker with four times the Xmax  (fairly common now) could provide, no problem.

But  as Tim mentioned, they get loud with little power, good for those clubs where the stage outlet also provides power for the coffee machine and the beer cooler...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »

This a standard reflex box and at 7 cu/ft is well sized to potentially deliver more output and extension with modern drivers, so no this isn't firewood assuming the cabs are solid.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »

This a standard reflex box and at 7 cu/ft is well sized to potentially deliver more output and extension with modern drivers, so no this isn't firewood assuming the cabs are solid.
The TL 505 ports are sized for the displacement of the EV drivers of the era.
They are way undersized for drivers with current drivers with 4 times the displacement.

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

The TL 505 ports are sized for the displacement of the EV drivers of the era.
They are way undersized for drivers with current drivers with 4 times the displacement.

In normal mode (45 Hz tuning) the TL 505 has a very large port 3 ½ inches by 21.5 inches. No problem with new drivers. In step down mode when the port was more than half covered up for 33Hz tuning I think it will be a bit small – the trick was to add length to the port instead of covering it up if you wanted to use some of the newer drivers which may require a lower Fb, you lose a bit of volume but I think it will be still quite usable.

http://hf-antenna.com/Flotsam/EV/ElectroVoice_TL505.pdf

sam saponaro

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

Yea the cabs are solid,the worst one has a gouge in the corner were a corner got ripped off but I'm gonna duraglass it and already have a roll of speaker carpet I'm gonna repretty them up with. But otherwise they are 3/4 birch ply no buzzes etc....
I have a pair of Carvin PS-18 800W 18s lyin around will the TS specs match these cabs without having to get the sawzall out lol....?

sam saponaro

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

they get loud with little power, good for those clubs where the stage outlet also provides power for the coffee machine and the beer cooler...
That's waaaayyy cool as I always keep a coffee maker and a hotplate  plugged into the power amp rack.......... :o ;D

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

In normal mode (45 Hz tuning) the TL 505 has a very large port 3 ½ inches by 21.5 inches. No problem with new drivers. In step down mode when the port was more than half covered up for 33Hz tuning I think it will be a bit small – the trick was to add length to the port instead of covering it up if you wanted to use some of the newer drivers which may require a lower Fb, you lose a bit of volume but I think it will be still quite usable.

http://hf-antenna.com/Flotsam/EV/ElectroVoice_TL505.pdf
The port is bigger than I remembered, but at the 45 Hz tuning only totals about 332 cubic inches, while a 16mm Xmax 18" has around 235 cubic inches displacement peak to peak- it would blow the air right out of the port.

Adding length to the full port if a lower tuning is desired is a good suggestion even if the 18Bs are used.

Sam, the Carvin PS-18 800W 18s will probably work OK in the TL 505 box.

sam saponaro

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »

Sam, the Carvin PS-18 800W 18s will probably work OK in the TL 505 box.
Any idea what the xmax is on these? A band I play with had another set that was loaded in a set of scoops  they used to own a while back. One of the magnets shifted and pinned the voice coil, I read some were this was a known problem with Carvin's speakers, any truth to that? I know of another Carvin 15 that did the same thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.