ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice to choose PA speakers  (Read 23045 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Need advice to choose PA speakers
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »

My standard reply:

Pair of EV ZXA5s over a pair of LS801P subs. If you plan to expand get the 60 degree tops.

That is certainly a great combo Mike ;)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »

TT25a's over a DBH-218 and K10, but that costs a bit more. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Need advice to choose PA speakers
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »

TT25a's over a DBH-218 and K10, but that costs a bit more.

A bit more?

Last I checked the tt25a's are more than double the price of the EV's Mike recommended.
Jay Barracato

Nik Bastian

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »

That is certainly a great combo Mike ;)

I'll second that!

Rick Hash

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

My standard reply:

Pair of EV ZXA5s over a pair of LS801P subs. If you plan to expand get the 60 degree tops.

I agree this is a good combo. However, i don't think this is significant upgrade from live x either. Just like PRX... DSR... or KW... just like someone posted in the forum in the beginning. I still consider to purchase KW153 or dsr218. I think qsc are more dependable than most. And DSRs seem like a good contender given the price and specs. Can't finish my post gtg... Edit later

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

I agree this is a good combo. However, i don't think this is significant upgrade from live x either. Just like PRX... DSR... or KW... just like someone posted in the forum in the beginning. I still consider to purchase KW153 or dsr218. I think qsc are more dependable than most. And DSRs seem like a good contender given the price and specs. Can't finish my post gtg... Edit later

Rick, the more info you can provide then better the suggestions will be:  what is the expected max coverage in persons, indoors or outdoors, is it dedicated to one band or is it for a sound company, does it need to meet riders?  So far we have: $1,500 or less per speaker and needs to fit in a van.

Rick Hash

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »

Rick, the more info you can provide then better the suggestions will be:  what is the expected max coverage in persons, indoors or outdoors, is it dedicated to one band or is it for a sound company, does it need to meet riders?  So far we have: $1,500 or less per speaker and needs to fit in a van.

I can see how my lack of description doesn't allow for more concrete, detailed answers. So here is the story. I opened up my little production company, right now I mostly mix sound for  bar bands and wedding bands, with stuff in between. Usually crowds not more than 300 people. I would like to see my company grow and would like to get a pa that could accommodate open air rock shows (10000 sq feet roughly) and theatres (500-1000 seats). I understand that there are a lot to consider starting from payment of pa, brands and way of running it. So I figured I would just get a few louder speakers as a step forward. I look at KW and DSR to start with but maybe it's better to skip a step and start investing into a STX type of pa. It's much more money and I don't know if I'll get enough gigs to cover the cost. My bottom line right now is that this is a hobby and it doesn't generate much income for me. That's why I wanted to keep it simple and just kept my question to a minimum hoping to hear opinions about the speakers, not suspecting that this thread would grow into a slightly different discussion. So if anyone is not confused by now and still feels like throwing something my way I'm all ears. Thanks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

I agree this is a good combo. However, i don't think this is significant upgrade from live x either.

You should compare them.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Rick Hash

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »

You should compare them.

It's sad that I wanted to get zxa5 in the first place. The price was to high at the time. Those are much better than I thought originally for some reasons I had different numbers in my head for that speaker. How do you think they would do with kw181 under them?

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »

Rick, you and I are in just the same situation, however my hobby it threatening to take over.
Here is how to resolve the situation: Step one it to completely forget about ROI. Buy whay you need to get the job done, speakers, amps, trailer, tow vehicle, power distros, cables, lights, whatever it takes. Sense its a hobby think of is as if you owned a big boat... you pour $ into it for the pleasure of using it sometimes.

The next step it to look around your area and see if there is some place you can rent "racks & stacks" for the bigger outdoor shows.  This will be main speakers, subs, amps, cables, crossover, processing, often accompanied by a system tech.  You simply supply everything else.

If you are in a market where the above is simply not available or totally uneconomical due hi rental rates you get to start piecing together a festival rig.  If you want to insure a successful outcome you must have a system that will survive anything that is thrown at it: rick, country, death metal, hip hop.... to do this for 1,000 ppl outdoors takes a pretty serious amount of stuff.

I am booked to do a big party at a large campground this year. My client says I won't need the big rig because he did it with his bar rig last year and only blew up one speaker...Guess what, I have learned not to let the clients dictate what rig to bring.

Another factor is 'outdoors' can be a number is situations. An amphitheater type setting can be much easier then a flat open field. An outdoor gig in a downtown area surrounded by buildings presents it's own problems.

Personally, I don't believe simply doubling the size of you indoor rig will be sufficient... but I could be mistaken about the actual needs. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.