ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixers  (Read 23485 times)

Mike Appleby

• Play Tele, Ride Harley, Mix PreSonus!
Re: Digital Mixers
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »

I love my PreSonus Studio Live 16.0.2 because it's compact, can save scenes, edit presets, make templates, and best of all...you can run sound from stage if necessary; all you need is a laptop connected to the desk via firewire and an iPad. Even if you can run FOH, the iPad control via SL Remote gives you the freedom to move around and tweak the mix from anywhere in the venue. All the Studio Live series mixers share the same functionality and also allow scalability.

Choices, choices, choices.

Mike
Mike "Small Soldier" Appleby
Guitarist, Semi-Pro Audio Engineer
Always humble, always learning.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:29 AM »

Even if you can run FOH, the iPad control via SL Remote gives you the freedom to move around and tweak the mix from anywhere in the venue

This is standard with most digital mixers now.

However, if i remember correctly, the Presonus does not have motorised faders.  How does it adjust remotely and how does it set fader levels on scene recall?

Steve.

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »

I love my PreSonus Studio Live 16.0.2 because it's compact, can save scenes, edit presets, make templates, and best of all...you can run sound from stage if necessary; all you need is a laptop connected to the desk via firewire and an iPad. Even if you can run FOH, the iPad control via SL Remote gives you the freedom to move around and tweak the mix from anywhere in the venue. All the Studio Live series mixers share the same functionality and also allow scalability.

Choices, choices, choices.

Mike

Mike, I agree that the PreSonus SL is a nice board and easy to use.  We used the 24.4.2 for about a year.  What I found lacking on was that it didn't have motorized faders, no recallable preamps so that if you are doing different bands you can recall everything and it only has two internal effects where as I always setup four.  I use one for drum/instrument verb, two for vocal verb, thee for delay and four for tap delay.  Those are my only complaints about the SL series mixer.

Bill
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Mike Appleby

• Play Tele, Ride Harley, Mix PreSonus!
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »

This is standard with most digital mixers now.

However, if i remember correctly, the Presonus does not have motorised faders.  How does it adjust remotely and how does it set fader levels on scene recall?

Steve.

Steve,

The SL consoles have a "fader locate" feature to show you where your faders were the last time you saved a scene. Since I'm with a 4 piece band right now that likes to maximize individual profits by not having a engineer to pay, I run sound from the stage and hardly ever use the faders on the console. I just simply recall the scene that I saved from the last gig at a particular venue and tweak it with an iPad from FOH. The main drawback to the SL mixers is...the inability to save the preamp gain structure. One thing that I talked the band into was a production rehearsal to establish a master template. We setup all of our gear at an empty club on a Sunday with the mixer at FOH instead of on stage and started with the kick and went from there. We didn't have to battle the clock or some drunk who wants to be "helpful". At the end of the day I had a master template for every input with baseline preamp gain structure. Now all we have to do for a show is power up the gear, recall the template, and sound check. 1 hour from load in to sound check complete. Love it. Having 45 mins to an hr to chill out before a show makes the night go really well. At the last gig we played, the faders on the mixer never moved from the infinity position. Some of my fellow engineers around town are really impressed with the A&H QU16 with automated faders so I am considering crossing over.

Be good!

Mike
Mike "Small Soldier" Appleby
Guitarist, Semi-Pro Audio Engineer
Always humble, always learning.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »

The SL consoles have a "fader locate" feature to show you where your faders were the last time you saved a scene.

Thanks for replying.

So when you do a recall, the levels stay at the recall setting until you move a fader?

Sounds just the same as my Line 6 Flextone amplifier works.  When you change presets, the controls are wherever they were set before and bear no relation to actual settings but as soon as you move one, it becomes active.  The Line 6 doesn't have the advantage of indicators though!

Is it just the faders which work this way or all the other controls too?

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

Thanks for replying.

So when you do a recall, the levels stay at the recall setting until you move a fader?

Sounds just the same as my Line 6 Flextone amplifier works.  When you change presets, the controls are wherever they were set before and bear no relation to actual settings but as soon as you move one, it becomes active.  The Line 6 doesn't have the advantage of indicators though!

Steve.

Steve...

All these questions and more are answered in the PDF of the manual:

http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-AI-Series/downloads

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

George Dougherty

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »

Thanks for replying.

It's only the faders. IIRC, you have to move the fader to where it's supposed to be before it changes.

I've done a bit of work with the SL desks and they work well enough as either a desk or a digital mix system you control from an iPad. What they suck at IMO is transitioning between the two. The lack of motorized faders was the big reason for that.  It's the thing I love about the x32 over the SL.  I can mix on the iPad and come back to the desk and it's all exactly where it should be.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 12:55:30 AM »

It can also be (some of) the rotary controls - you select this in the console's setup menu.  (I always set them to No).

Steve M Smith

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:27 AM »

Steve...

All these questions and more are answered in the PDF of the manual:

Thanks. I did look through the manual but didn't really find the answer.  Sometimes it's better to get a response from someone who actually uses it - as has happened!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.