ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice to choose PA speakers  (Read 23264 times)

Rick Hash

Need advice to choose PA speakers
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »

Hi everyone. I would like to purchase some pa speakers. Currently im considering prx 625 or 635, Yamaha dsr 215, qsc kw153, haven't decided on subs yet that would depend on the speakers I get. Can someone please suggest, or help me out with advice which ones are better. I have live x pa system, and use presonus 24.4.2 sound board. That system is fine for local bars and small parties. however, I would like to upgrade to I bit louder system for bigger events and maybe some outdoor gigs. Also, trying not to spend more than $1500 per speaker, hoping for less. Small budget...forgot to add before, powered is better for me to save up room in the van, also saves money ithink. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:25:41 PM by Rick Hash »

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Need advice to choose PA speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »

Hi everyone. I would like to purchase some pa speakers. Currently im considering prx 625 or 635, Yamaha dsr 215, qsc kw153, haven't decided on subs yet that would depend on the speakers I get. Can someone please suggest, or help me out with advice which ones are better. I have live x pa system, and use presonus 24.4.2 sound board. That system is fine for local bars and small parties. however, I would like to upgrade to I bit louder system for bigger events and maybe some outdoor gigs. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks
The JBL PRX6xx, Yammy DSR, or QSC KW are certainly upgrades from the EV LiveX; but it's not a large upgrade.  I would recommend looking towards the JBL STX/SRX or EV QRx neighborhood for larger events or (anything but the smallest) ourdoor gigs.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Rick Hash

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »

Hi Scott. Thanks for your advice. I agree with you, any of those is a good pair. I can't buy those, after considering that I would have to buy amps, cables, and racks it goes way over my budget.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »

Hi Scott. Thanks for your advice. I agree with you, any of those is a good pair. I can't buy those, after considering that I would have to buy amps, cables, and racks it goes way over my budget.
How often do you expect to provide for the larger or outdoor events?  It may make more sense to run what you have currently and rent racks and stacks for the larger shows.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

You can't do sound with a budget.  You have to have money.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rick Hash

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »

This statement can start a discussion in its own.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »

Hi everyone. I would like to purchase some pa speakers. Currently im considering prx 625 or 635, Yamaha dsr 215, qsc kw153, haven't decided on subs yet that would depend on the speakers I get. Can someone please suggest, or help me out with advice which ones are better. I have live x pa system, and use presonus 24.4.2 sound board. That system is fine for local bars and small parties. however, I would like to upgrade to I bit louder system for bigger events and maybe some outdoor gigs. Also, trying not to spend more than $1500 per speaker, hoping for less. Small budget...forgot to add before, powered is better for me to save up room in the van, also saves money ithink. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Hi Rick,

First, you should go listen to these speakers yourself.

Second, although I have not heard the DSR215's, the DSR115 positively thunders.  To my ears, these speakers are incredibly potent and have the edge over the others in this price range.

Third, I like the PRX618S-XLF subs over any of the others including the KW181 .... but not so much that if you end up with the KW153's that I don't think you should get a matching sub.

The DSR118 isn't in the same league as the XLF or KW181.

I think that this rig could do a modest outdoor rig, but you are going to be missing some bottom.  Outdoor gigs suck up the bass.  I would recommend having 4 XLF's for outdoor gigs..... and I agree with the others that if you are attempting anything over ~ 200 outside, you are going to want more rig for the gig ..... personally, I would rent bigger gear (say 4 SRX728's and 4 SRX 725's with amps and cables) at that point.  I have seen a rig like that do justice to around 500 outside.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »

This statement can start a discussion in its own.

How do you make a small fortune doing live sound?...

Start out with a large fortune :)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »

You CAN do sound on a budget - it's called acoustic.  As for sound reinforcement, Dick is absolutely correct.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »

My standard reply:

Pair of EV ZXA5s over a pair of LS801P subs. If you plan to expand get the 60 degree tops.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.