ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small club PA  (Read 3870 times)

Randy Morring

• Cabo's Revenge
Small club PA
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Hello everyone,
Just joined the forum after reading through a lot of the different areas of the forum. I'm a  drummer in a 3pc. Southern Rock/Rock, Blues style band and have been putting together a small PA over the last couple of years and would like your thoughts and opinions if what I have is a good start. I have a Soundcraft MFXi 12 mixer, 2-Crown XTi 1000 amps, 2-JBL JRX115 cab's,and 2-JBL JRX118s sub's. I have this set up for one amp per side with a "Y" input running the sub on CH.1 and the top cab. on Ch.2 with factory x-over presets loaded in the amp's DSP using "Band Manager". One thing I'm unsure of is I need to set up anything in the "Limiter" section of Band Manager for this set up and if I should set up any other x-over points.  What are you guy's thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks for help,
Randy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:10:13 PM by Randy Morring »

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Small club PA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »

Everyone has an opinion here's mine: don't worry about the limiter.  The JRX tops  have some light bulb protection inside... that sort of works...sometimes. Given that its a bar band type thing and not a rental system with guest engineers (or guest DJ's) It's my best guess that you will not find a happy setting the provides any protection and still allows full volume as needed for the gig.

A guy was going to rent me a 10,000 watt amplifier last year for sub duty. I asked  "what am I gonna do when a guest mixer blows up my subs?" He said: "just set the limiter to the power level you want".... I decided to use existing equipment and all was fine.

<edit typos>
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:10:25 PM by Tim Perry »

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »

Hello everyone,
Just joined the forum after reading through a lot of the different areas of the forum. I'm a  drummer in a 3pc. Southern Rock/Rock, Blues style band and have been putting together a small PA over the last couple of years and would like your thoughts and opinions if what I have is a good start. I have a Soundcraft MFXi 12 mixer, 2-Crown XTi 1000 amps, 2-JBL JRX115 cab's,and 2-JBL JRX118s sub's. I have this set up for one amp per side with a "Y" input running the sub on CH.1 and the top cab. on Ch.2 with factory x-over presets loaded in the amp's DSP using "Band Manager". One thing I'm unsure of is I need to set up anything in the "Limiter" section of Band Manager for this set up and if I should set up any other x-over points.  What are you guy's thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks for help,
Randy
Decibel output desired?

Your bands stage volume in decibels?

How many people are you playing for?

Size of room?

Set it and forget it.

Keep everything down so you do not clip the amps.

Otherwise get a bigger system. :)

Randy Morring

• Cabo's Revenge
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »

Decibel output desired?

Your bands stage volume in decibels?

How many people are you playing for?

Size of room?

Set it and forget it.

Keep everything down so you do not clip the amps.

Otherwise get a bigger system. :)

I have not really thought about db output as most of the clubs are small in size around 1000 to maybe 1800 sq.ft. with around 50 to 150 people. As far as stage volume db I would estimate it at maybe around 90db. Right now all that's running through the mixer is vocals and the kick drum and music from an ipod during breaks. The band I was in previously used a Mackie board and powered subs and tops and was run mostly the same as far as inputs and output wattage. I was just asking if I should be concerned with setting up the limiters through "Band Manager" in the presets and if I should set up other crossover points. The factory JBL JRX 115 +118s sub is 37.89hz-80.28hz for the sub's and 80.28hz-18k hz for the tops with a 5db boost on the subs and a 2db boost on the tops on they're bandpass.
Thanks for your help,

Randy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:50:03 PM by Randy Morring »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »

I was just asking if I should be concerned with setting up the limiters through "Band Manager" in the presets.

Randy

You need not concern yourself with this feature.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Randy Morring

• Cabo's Revenge
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

You need not concern yourself with this feature.

Ok thanks for your help. Another question I have is, in the XTi manual it says in crossover mode it uses a "Y" input, mixer L output to Ch.1 input and sub to Ch.1 and Top to Ch.2 output's and repeat the same for mixer R output, but when I pull up the presets JRX 115 + JRX 118s in Band Manager it shows as a stereo input. Would you recommend leaving it as a stereo input and daisy chaining the amps with the feed through or setting the amps as Y inputs ?

Randy   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:51:16 PM by Randy Morring »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.